• Please log in to reply
569 replies to this topic

#1 Wasted in the heat

Wasted in the heat

• Members
  • 16,738 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:'78

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:40 AM

Anybody watch this? I had heard it was good, so I picked up the first season on DVD. Was hooked after one episode. Watched the first three seasons over the last two and a half weeks. Bryan Cranston is amazing. Now tied with Mad Men as my favorite show. Season 4 starts next week. Haven't been this excited about a new season of television since the Sopranos.

Its as if David Simon, David Chase, and Quentin Tarantino got together to make a TV series. Unbelievably entertaining.
Levitation is probably the closest analogy to what I feel - whether it's Jumpin' Jack Flash or Satisfaction or All Down The Line - when I realize I've hit the right tempo and the band's behind me. It's like taking off in a Learjet. I have no sense that my feet are touching the ground. I'm elevated to this other space. People say, "Why don't you give it up?" I can't retire until I croak. I don't think they quite understand what I get out of this. I'm not doing it just for the money or for you. I'm doing it for me.

-Keef

#2 Mission Man in AZ

Mission Man in AZ

• Members
  • 7,474 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1973

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:11 AM

I've seen every episode and can't wait for season four. The amazing thing is that it's on basic cable -- in fact, it is without a doubt the most intense TV show outside of pay cable. Intense is the best word I can think of to describe the show....
"An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics." -- Plutarch

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." -- John Kenneth Galbraith

"When you deal with stupidity, you begin to understand the concept of infinity." -- Gustave Flaubert

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Friendly Fire

#3 Wasted in the heat

Wasted in the heat

• Members
  • 16,738 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

AMC has crazy good shows. Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and new The Walking Dead. Your right that its hard to believe its basic cable. I'm surprised Directv hasn't swtiched AMC over to HD yet. I meN I thin friggin Spike TV is in HD, but not AMC? Makes no sense.
Levitation is probably the closest analogy to what I feel - whether it's Jumpin' Jack Flash or Satisfaction or All Down The Line - when I realize I've hit the right tempo and the band's behind me. It's like taking off in a Learjet. I have no sense that my feet are touching the ground. I'm elevated to this other space. People say, "Why don't you give it up?" I can't retire until I croak. I don't think they quite understand what I get out of this. I'm not doing it just for the money or for you. I'm doing it for me.

-Keef

#4 Pastor Jeff

Pastor Jeff

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1978

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

I'm so glad you brought this up. This is, without a doubt, my favorite show on TV right now--I'm so excited for the new season! "Intense" is the correct word for this story. Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul are incredible--but all the other actors are pretty well near perfection in their roles, as well. Just from Season Three, "One Minute", "Half Measures", and "Full Measure" are studies in how to do incredibly intense TV perfectly. Love it! If any of you haven't checked it out, do so.

#5 HelloNewman

HelloNewman

• Members
  • 4,733 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1988

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:54 PM

Season 1 has been sat on my shelf since Christmas, this fred has pushed it up to my 'watch next' position.

#6 Mission Man in AZ

Mission Man in AZ

• Members
  • 7,474 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1973

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

A reminder -- season four starts tomorrow, July 17, at 10 p.m. EDT.
"An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all republics." -- Plutarch

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness." -- John Kenneth Galbraith

"When you deal with stupidity, you begin to understand the concept of infinity." -- Gustave Flaubert

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Friendly Fire

#7 Pastor Jeff

Pastor Jeff

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:16 PM

I'm practically giggling with excitement!

#8 Wasted in the heat

Wasted in the heat

• Members
  • 16,738 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 01:19 PM

Posted Image

-Keef

#9 Pastor Jeff

Pastor Jeff

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

Wow. Gus is a very, very bad man...

#10 Wasted in the heat

Wasted in the heat

• Members
  • 16,738 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:27 PM

Definitely. Even though I saw it coming, it's a testament to the writing that I was STILL in rapt suspense waiting for "The Box Cutter" to be put to use. Also loved the homage to Pulp Fiction with Walt and Jesse sitting in Denny's wearing goofy Dollar Store t-shirts.

-Keef

#11 Pastor Jeff

Pastor Jeff

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:56 PM

it's a testament to the writing that I was STILL in rapt suspense waiting for "The Box Cutter" to be put to use.

No kidding! I figured I even knew WHO he was going to use it on, but my stomach was still in knots, waiting for the act...

And Skyler is getting better and better at being a blatant liar. Hmmm...

#12 Kay

Kay

• Members
  • 19,395 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1984

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:20 AM

Just finished watching season four opener, my first exposure to the show, and I'm not sure I ever really knew what the fuck what was going on.
Now I work down at the carwash where all it ever does is rain

#13 Wasted in the heat

Wasted in the heat

• Members
  • 16,738 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

Just finished watching season four opener, my first exposure to the show, and I'm not sure I ever really knew what the fuck what was going on.

You would benefit going back to the beginning. This show is in many ways about the metamorphosis of a man from Ned Flanders to Scarface (along with that change's consequences on other characters). Walt is already more than halfway there at the start of the 4th season.

-Keef

#14 Pastor Jeff

Pastor Jeff

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

Totally agree. This isn't really a story on which one can drop in. It's best to let it unfold from the beginning...

#15 HelloNewman

HelloNewman

• Members
  • 4,733 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1988

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

I started season 1 on Saturday night.
My initial impressions was that this was a complete Weeds rip off but they were trying to be a bit edgy.
How wrong I was!

I have now watched 6 episodes.
It is absolutely stunning and more addictive than the subject matter.

PS - I have skipped over all of the above comments so not to spoil. B)

#16 Pastor Jeff

Pastor Jeff

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Welcome to "Breaking Bad," Newman! It only continues to get better and more intense...

#17 Wasted in the heat

Wasted in the heat

• Members
  • 16,738 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:07 AM

Loved the Roomba cam.

-Keef

#18 Pastor Jeff

Pastor Jeff

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

That WAS entertaining!

I loved "Go home Walter."

#19 Wasted in the heat

Wasted in the heat

• Members
  • 16,738 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:57 AM

"Did you suffer shock to the senses from falling body parts?"

-Keef

#20 Pastor Jeff

Pastor Jeff

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:08 PM

"Were you wrestled into submission by his eyebrows?" Priceless.

#21 Wasted in the heat

Wasted in the heat

• Members
  • 16,738 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:32 PM

Wasn't too crazy about this week's episode. The Skylar storline just isn't doing it for me. I'm not sure if my problem with it is that I don't think Skylar would do the things she's doing or if it's that I am just not a big fan of Anna Gunn's acting. Hoping this is all setting up a big payoff.

-Keef

#22 Pastor Jeff

Pastor Jeff

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:44 PM

I looked at it like a few more layers of the onion were revealed. How many of the characters will break bad? And to what extent? Next week's episode looks explosive...

#23 Wasted in the heat

Wasted in the heat

• Members
  • 16,738 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:11 PM

Interesting read from my boy Klosterman.

http://www.grantland...0/bad-decisions

-Keef

#24 Pastor Jeff

Pastor Jeff

• Members
  • 2,343 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

That was great--thanks!

#25 Wasted in the heat

Wasted in the heat

• Members
  • 16,738 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:30 PM

Last night's ep was the best of the season so far IMHO. I'll never hear Peter Schilling's Major Tom the same way again. ;)

-Keef

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users