Photo

Upgrading RAM - Has anyone done this ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 rustyruth

rustyruth

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

A member of staff in the Apple store in Manchester told me that this was dead easy to do myself as Apple charge quite a bit to do it for you. He put me onto a web site called Crucial which scanned my MacBook and found me the compatible memory thingys which I've now ordered to upgrade from 1GB to 4GB.

I've found the instructions how do perform the operation, and notice that most people say that it is a simple process - I'm OK with the general day to day workings of a computer but have never actually been brave enough to undo any screws before, (unless you count my husbands Acer laptop, but that was different because I was trashing it.)

Is this procedure as easy as it appears ? am I being unduly nervous ?

Any help/advice appreciated :D

"So you're scared and you're thinking, That maybe we aint that young anymore"

#2 riverdude2

riverdude2

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 09:28 PM

Adding/changing RAM is easy. I've never used a MAC but I understand the procedure is the same. You do have to be careful not to wear jewellery and avoid static. You can touch a radiator to earth yourself. Make sure you get the correct type and insert the module correctly for whatever model you have. There's loads of help guides on google and videos on youtube etc. If you find it beeps constantly on boot or something else isn't right, just remove check it boots with the old setup and try again. Most problems are due to RAM modules not seated properly.

Google around here's one http://guides.macrum.../Installing_RAM

#3 rustyruth

rustyruth

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:59 PM

Hi riverdude

Thanks for that, re the static I did read on Apples web site that once I've taken out the battery and the 3 screws which remove an L shaped piece that I must touch a metal part of the computer to get rid of the static. Mentions nothing about removing jewellery, but I shall do that as a precaution, this laptop has never let me down in 5 years and I don't want to mess it up now.

I'll let you know how I get on when the new memory arrives.

#4 riverdude2

riverdude2

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

Hi riverdude

Thanks for that, re the static I did read on Apples web site that once I've taken out the battery and the 3 screws which remove an L shaped piece that I must touch a metal part of the computer to get rid of the static. Mentions nothing about removing jewellery, but I shall do that as a precaution, this laptop has never let me down in 5 years and I don't want to mess it up now.

I'll let you know how I get on when the new memory arrives.

Good luck and yes let us know. The jewellery is a precaution against a trailnig necklace, wristband or rings touching any circuit boards or worse, falling off and lodging inside components.

#5 bigbonesbilly

bigbonesbilly

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:41 PM

A member of staff in the Apple store in Manchester told me that this was dead easy to do myself as Apple charge quite a bit to do it for you. He put me onto a web site called Crucial which scanned my MacBook and found me the compatible memory thingys which I've now ordered to upgrade from 1GB to 4GB.

I've found the instructions how do perform the operation, and notice that most people say that it is a simple process - I'm OK with the general day to day workings of a computer but have never actually been brave enough to undo any screws before, (unless you count my husbands Acer laptop, but that was different because I was trashing it.)

Is this procedure as easy as it appears ? am I being unduly nervous ?

Any help/advice appreciated :D

With a PC it is very easy, don't know about a mac
stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive

#6 rustyruth

rustyruth

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

It looks very simple on a Mac, remove battery, three small screws, pull the old memory out, push the new ones in, replace screws and battery and thats it.

I will let you know :)

#7 rustyruth

rustyruth

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:02 PM

Got this done over the weekend, really simple took me about 10 minutes from start to finish. Next time I think I'll have to believe the staff at Apple when they say something is easy. :)

#8 riverdude2

riverdude2

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

Got this done over the weekend, really simple took me about 10 minutes from start to finish. Next time I think I'll have to believe the staff at Apple when they say something is easy. :)

Well done rr. :)