Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JustDan

1950 America vs 2012

0 posts in this topic

A conservative colleague of mine forwarded the hi-lighted link below to me. In his forward, he commented that, given the choice, he would take living in 1950s America "hands down" over living in the present. He was born in 1968. "Life was so much simple back then", he said. "People had morals...They didn't have to be afraid to go out into the city at night...They didn't have to worry about locking their doors in their own neighborhoods.....People knew the American dream wasn't something they were entitled to....You worked hard for it...You aspired to be something......& then the 1960s & the Kennedys came along & it all went to hell." At the end of that sentence, he used the internationally recognized winkie [ ;) ] smiley to let me know he was....you know....just joshing with me....

I replied back: "Yup...There sure were some great things about growing up in a more innocent, prosperous time. Life was pretty good back then...American citizens of color were still being lynched, persecuted, couldn't go to the same schools white kids went to, couldn't live in the same neighborhoods, couldn't eat at the same restaurants, drink from the same water fountains, use the same public restrooms as their white counterparts, hate groups like the KKK flourished and were revered in many parts of the country, jews and other minorities were persecuted and harrassed, writers & journalists were blacklisted for holding views considered detrimental to democracy.... Hmmm....actually John, some things haven't changed all that much.....have they? Still waiting for his reply...I sent my response last Thursday...

What would you choose? What year would you prefer...?

[i][b]http://www.mrconservative.com/2012/02/2267-death-of-the-american-dream/[/b][/i]

I was born in 1948, saw and lived through some of those "good old days." As you said, they weren't all that good depending upon your color and financial situation. Has anyone here, besides me, ever seen the results of a lynching?

Tell your friend that he would have hated the 50s. Eisenhauer was president and he would look like a flaming liberal to your buddy.

Plus, computers, cell phones, microwave ovens, HD TVs, Bruce Springsteen, and civil rights kick the crap out of yo-yo's, red scares, and Pat Boone.

(Sorry, but in the 50s he wants, he gets stuck with Pat. Elvis and Jerry Lee are ours because they corrupted our morals.) ;)

Oy... the 50s.

Oh yeah... hell of a time if you were white and male. For everybody else... not so mucn. If it was they women and people of color wouldn't have been so damned fired up about changing things. And to be fair... a large number of white males wern't all that thrilled with it either; if nothing else if he was born in 1950 he had the chance to get his ass shot off in a rice paddy. Never mind the advances in standard of living, technology, medicine, etc., etc..

That sad part is your buddy being nostalgic for a period of time that is now pushing 60 odd years ago: can you imagine anybody in the 50s walking around saying he wanted to go back to the 1905? 1895? I mean seriously.

The guy is blowing smoke if he isn't a straight up knuckle head. Classic case of speaking without [i]really[/i] thinking.

Have any of you read the link though? There are some interesting facts and comparisons. I've heard the 50s being referred to as "America's golden years"..."The decade of prosperity and stability". What was so prosperous about the 50s?...I mean, other than the technological advances of the time?...& didn't financial prosperity have alot to do with a huge conflict called World War Two?

But lets say you were white and male...and a large potion of the US was just that, it was a pretty good time to be alive. Urban areas were virtually crime free. The work day was 8 hours and you went home and FORGOT ABOUT WORK.....TV was new and not only was it exciting, you only had to buy it and plug it in....you didn't have to call our cable provider and hook it up to Playstation ...you plugged it in and watched it. People believed in their government and their country and didn't just sit around and grumble about how shittythings were. You could actually retire after 20 years with a pretty good nest egg and llive off Social Security. Good drugs were still legal albeit underground. You could pick up some serious grade LSD and take it on the corner with an ice cream come if that was your choice. Music was transforming into this thing we would come to know as rock and roll. Life was good. Yeah....being a white male , 1950 sounds peachy fucking keen if you ask me.

[quote name='Welby' timestamp='1330380904' post='2110021']
Yeah....being a white male , 1950 sounds peachy fucking keen if you ask me.
[/quote]

Except this country was founded on the premise that all men [& women] were created equal, no?

[quote name='JustDan' timestamp='1330381535' post='2110025']
[quote name='Welby' timestamp='1330380904' post='2110021']
Yeah....being a white male , 1950 sounds peachy fucking keen if you ask me.
[/quote]

Except this country was founded on the premise that all men [& women] were created equal, no?
[/quote]
No. Women couldn't vote and there were a whole bunch of men counted as 3/5 a person. Our founders application of the word "men" was very narrow

Right...and those guys were pretty much....white males? Now I am just looking at it from the perspective of what I am. If I was Mexican might think differently. And can you imagine asking an Afghani shepherder that question? But I digress..your point is that if you want to look for it you will find terrible sins committed and outrageous misfortune perpertrated on non whites. Tell you what...go look up black unemployment then and now. Look up the statistics for incarceration then and now. Get the idea? I guess the point is to imagine yourself as not a white male.....maybe a llama.

The only cool thing about living in 1950 (and in Brooklyn), would've been going to see the Dodgers at Ebbets Field. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with living in my present lifetime here in West Virginia.

Black unemployment in 1955 was at 8% , I think the latest figure was 15.7%. 60 % of black households are fatherless and a recent study says that 90% of black youths will wind up living with one family member....this iis a demographic whose existence was based on family and religious unity. An estimated 28% of black males will be incarcerated in their lifetime.....
Yeah the 50's sucked if you were black.....

[quote name='Welby' timestamp='1330383849' post='2110038']
Black unemployment in 1955 was at 8% , I think the latest figure was 15.7%. 60 % of black households are fatherless and a recent study says that 90% of black youths will wind up living with one family member....this iis a demographic whose existence was based on family and religious unity. An estimated 28% of black males will be incarcerated in their lifetime.....
Yeah the 50's sucked if you were black.....
[/quote]

Yeah, not being able to vote, being forced into segregated schools, water fountains, etc. Not to mention lynchings in the South. Sounds great!!

[quote]Now I am just looking at it from the perspective of what I am.[/quote]

That, of course, being a racist.

P13, didn't you know that by calling this angry white male misogynistic racist a racist, that that automatically makes you a racist? Because anyone who calls someone a racist must be a racist....

It only bothers people who are racists. For those of us who,aren't its like a white flag waving....pun intended. When you can't deal with the facts just say "you're a racist" . It's used to be "you're a nazi" ...but then th Jewish folk realized it lessened th horror of actually being a nazi.

The reality is that the 1950's saw the greatest drop in lynchings since he civil war. Lynchings may have gotten a lot of press because of Paul Robeson and Emmet Till but the reality is they weren't happening and all but disappeared by 1960. Given the definition of a lynching, black gang members commit more "lynchings" on their brethren today than occurred throughout the 1950's.
Yep ...seems like th 50's weren't so bad mo matter what race or gender you were. Imagine...no blackberries....kids actually talking with each other.....being ale to take the phone off the hook and say you were busy.....parking spaces....double features at he movies...drive ins.....

[quote name='Mission Man in AZ' timestamp='1330392133' post='2110060']
P13, didn't you know that by calling this angry white male misogynistic racist a racist, that that automatically makes you a racist? Because anyone who calls someone a racist must be a racist....
[/quote]

That's like calling someone who dislikes bigots, a bigot for disliking bigots. :rolleyes: :wacko:

[quote name='Welby' timestamp='1330394052' post='2110070']
It only bothers people who are racists. For those of us who,aren't its like a white flag waving....pun intended. When you can't deal with the facts just say "you're a racist" . It's used to be "you're a nazi" ...but then th Jewish folk realized it lessened th horror of actually being a nazi.
[/quote]

When's your next farewell post due?

[quote name='JustDan' timestamp='1330395902' post='2110087']
[quote name='Welby' timestamp='1330394052' post='2110070']

[/quote]

[/quote]

:lol:

[url="http://www.virginia.edu/100yearslawn/HarrisonI/uvafifties.html"]From The University of Virginia[/url]

[url="http://www.history.com/topics/1950s"]From History.com[/url]

[url="http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/database/article_display.cfm?HHID=362"]Digital History[/url]

[quote name='JustDan' timestamp='[url="tel:1330395902"]1330395902[/url]' post='[url="tel:2110087"]2110087[/url]']
[quote name='Welby' timestamp='[url="tel:1330394052"]1330394052[/url]' post='[url="tel:2110070"]2110070[/url]']
[/quote]

[/quote]

oh that's so clever...so utterly clever...now everyone will forget about your asinine argument that we are so much better off today.

If you'd like, I can cut & paste from some of the old ones you've posted before and save you the trouble of having to intellectually struggle to come up with yet another one of your endearing philosophical "woa-is-me goodbye cruel discussion forum" soliloquies of yours. Let me know.

[quote]seems like th 50's weren't so bad mo matter what race or gender you were.[/quote]

Makes you kinda wonder why all those black people and women started protesting in the 60s and 70s, huh? Weren't they just grateful for how wonderful their lives were at the time?

I really can't figure out whether you're just a racist, or an incredibly stupid racist.

First off their is nothing stupid about what I said. it's all factual and I see no one is disputing it. Second of all what is racist about what I said? Absolutely nothing. What you folks have is a mob mentality and ou figure if enough of you light your torches and yell, someone will notice you. But it's ok. It's better than throwing your own feces at each other .And I do find it funny Mr Arizona that you live in the state that's practically lily white....what is it? 4% black? Yah....you got the right idea...keep calling people racist and they will never KNOW!

[quote name='JustDan' timestamp='[url="tel:1330396841"]1330396841[/url]' post='[url="tel:2110095"]2110095[/url]']
If you'd like, I can cut & paste from some of the old ones you've posted before and save you the trouble of having to intellectually struggle to come up with yet another one of your endearing philosophical "woa-is-me goodbye cruel discussion forum" soliloquies of yours. Let me know.
[/quote]

Do you keep a scrapbook and read them at night to put you to sleep?