2703 replies to this topic

#1 JustDan

JustDan

• Members
  • 14,865 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:The time I used to have hair on my head

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:14 PM

POPULAR

A black kid walking around in a gated community. Rent-a-cop with a history of making false-alarm 911 calls immediately suspects the kid is "up to no good". Calls it in to the local cops...Local cops tell him to lay off, they'll handle it. Guy follows the kid anyway, approaches him, they get into a scuffle. Kid screams for help, rent-a-cop pulls his gun & shoots & kills the kid. Rent-a-cop says "self defense". No charges brought against rent-a-cop [yet]. Turns out the kid wasn't loitering. He was walking back from the store to his Dad's fiance's house where he was staying. The assumption being, if you're a black teenager walking around in an exclusive neighborhood, you're alkways "up to no good". There cant possibly be any other explantion for it.

"Lena gets her son ready for school
She says "On these streets, Charles
You've got to understand the rules
If an officer stops you, promise me you'll always be polite
And that you'll never ever run away
Promise Mama you'll keep your hands in sight"

120320031221-ac-kth-trayvon-martin-fathe
http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

#2 skyjocky

skyjocky

• Members
  • 33,754 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:BITUSA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

It's all the kids fault. He was guilty of TWWB, Teenager Walking While Black.

I hope they throw the fooking book at that neighborhood watch ahole, zimmerman.

Since the New Deal, republicans have been on the wrong side of every issue of concern to ordinary Americans; Social Security, the war in Vietnam, equal rights, civil liberties, church-state separation, consumer issues, public education, reproductive freedom, national health care, labor issues, campaign-finance reform, the environment and tax fairness. No political party could remain so consistently wrong by accident. The only rational conclusion is that, despite their cynical "family values" propaganda, the republican party is a criminal conspiracy to betray the interests of the American people in favor of plutocratic and corporate interests, and absolutist religious groups.

"These are low-functioning sociopaths who defecate platitudes like "Freedom", "America", "Family", "Patriot", and "Values" with the speed and dispersal of diarrhea... they do so without thought, any genuine feeling invested or understanding of the sacrosanct concepts in question! They are the enemy of us all! They are the enemy within! They are the dry rot in the floorboards of our civilization! They are the cancer metastasizing through the body-politic! They are collectively a dangerous unknowing child with a gun now found and they will wound us terribly!" 

As long as baggers, bigots and bible thumpers control the repub party, they are doomed to go the way of the Dodo.

RFH-cropped-header.jpg

#3 Cozmic Kid

Cozmic Kid

• Members
  • 41,780 posts
  • Facebook:Brian.N.Frandsen
  • Springsteen fan since?:1984

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

I hope theybthrow him.in jail.

Like Joe Horn or whatever the fuck his name was, this guy is a trigger happy SOB who just get off on kiling people.

gangster_zpsf28fe1c2.jpg

SHOWS

#4 Skin2Skin

Skin2Skin

• Members
  • 45,028 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1973

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

and

http://gma.yahoo.com...--abc-news.html

I shared the lyrics of American Skin with my friend yesterday when we were discussing this.

"This man owns other people's music. Like, goes to the store, puts their songs in his cart, walks up to the cashier and slams his money on the counter." -- Bill Pellegrino

Man, the dope's that there's still hope.

BUT...nobody wins unless everybody wins.

#5 Welby

Welby

• Members
  • 14,070 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1974

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

Last week in Williamsburg in NY an 82 year old chinese man was robbed of his Iphone and thrown on the train tracks by two black men who called him "Chinky". This got half a paragraph on page 17 of the NY Post.
No national uproar. No marches. About 10 lines of copy on page 17. Because it happens every day, its not even news anymore. Draw your own conclusions.
Slip Mahoney: I'm a victim of my own verbacity, and I don't even know what that is.

#6 Welby

Welby

• Members
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:45 PM

And before anyone starts shooting off their mouth...I am just asking what makes this particular crime special as opposed to all the other crime that is committed daily in the US. What makes this one newsworthy?
Slip Mahoney: I'm a victim of my own verbacity, and I don't even know what that is.

#7 53 Esquire

53 Esquire

• Members
  • 26,210 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1985

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

This story is both tragic and weird. The dispatcher clearly told this guy not to follow the kid. It seems clear he was looking for trouble, unless there is stuff we are not aware of the fact he has not bee arrested is a mystery.
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with approval of their own conscience" - C. S. Lewis

#8 skyjocky

skyjocky

• Members
  • 33,754 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Like Joe Horn or whatever the fuck his name was, this guy is a trigger happy SOB who just get off on kiling people.

There is a HUGE difference between the actions Mr. Horn took and this travesty.

Since the New Deal, republicans have been on the wrong side of every issue of concern to ordinary Americans; Social Security, the war in Vietnam, equal rights, civil liberties, church-state separation, consumer issues, public education, reproductive freedom, national health care, labor issues, campaign-finance reform, the environment and tax fairness. No political party could remain so consistently wrong by accident. The only rational conclusion is that, despite their cynical "family values" propaganda, the republican party is a criminal conspiracy to betray the interests of the American people in favor of plutocratic and corporate interests, and absolutist religious groups.

"These are low-functioning sociopaths who defecate platitudes like "Freedom", "America", "Family", "Patriot", and "Values" with the speed and dispersal of diarrhea... they do so without thought, any genuine feeling invested or understanding of the sacrosanct concepts in question! They are the enemy of us all! They are the enemy within! They are the dry rot in the floorboards of our civilization! They are the cancer metastasizing through the body-politic! They are collectively a dangerous unknowing child with a gun now found and they will wound us terribly!" 

As long as baggers, bigots and bible thumpers control the repub party, they are doomed to go the way of the Dodo.

RFH-cropped-header.jpg

#9 53 Esquire

53 Esquire

• Members
  • 26,210 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1985

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

Dude - why do you bother?
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with approval of their own conscience" - C. S. Lewis

#10 skyjocky

skyjocky

• Members
  • 33,754 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:03 PM

I know, I know, but, you and I know there is no comparison between the two cases.

RFH-cropped-header.jpg

#11 JustDan

JustDan

• Members
  • 14,865 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:06 PM

Brian....You are trying to link two very different cases with completely differents sets of circumstances.

#12 Earthslayer

Earthslayer

• Members
  • 8,212 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

White neighborhood watch guy assumes black guy is a thief....follows/approaches him....black guy likely thinks approaching neighborhood watch guy is a thug/mugger. Words exchanged, it gets physical.....the guy with the gun wins.

#13 JustDan

JustDan

• Members
  • 14,865 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

And before anyone starts shooting off their mouth...I am just asking what makes this particular crime special as opposed to all the other crime that is committed daily in the US. What makes this one newsworthy?

No one would argue that this is as tragic as what happened in FL. Maybe the reason it didn't get national attention is because there is no evidence or justification to call what happened in NY a racially-motivated attack. The guy was oriental. He could've been white, Latino, Black. The intent of the crime was most likely robbery, not that the guy was Chinese.

In the instance of the episode in Florida, a licensed security guard, who was not authorized by local law enforcement officials to confront possibly suspicious individuals, but merely to report them, specifically targeted someone who he thought was loitering in a gated community. The person he targeted was a young African-American male. Why? There is reasonable suspicion that this security guard thought this individual didn't belong where he was because of his age and the color of his skin. Moreover, I heard on the Evening news last night the guard was not authorized to carry a firearm. Not only did he disobey instructions not to confront the the kid in question, he proceeded to have a physical altercation with him and then fired the weapon he was unathorized to carry, killing the kid....who was unarmed.

While the case you are bringing up is no less tragic, if you cant see the difference between the two, its because you choose to see it that way.

#14 Cozmic Kid

Cozmic Kid

• Members
  • 41,780 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

Yo mean the guy above didn't shoot the kid in the back?

From what I recall the murderer Horn was told not to engage with them as was the dude in the article above.

gangster_zpsf28fe1c2.jpg

SHOWS

#15 Cozmic Kid

Cozmic Kid

• Members
  • 41,780 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:47 PM

I know, I know, but, you and I know there is no comparison between the two cases.

Actually there are comparisons.

There is no HUGE difference as you say.

Both Horn and the dude above killed in cold blood.

gangster_zpsf28fe1c2.jpg

SHOWS

#16 BrotherBridges

BrotherBridges

• Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1975

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:48 PM

Wow, there is some rush to judgement on this thread. Zimmerman may well be guilty, but none of us was there and knows exactly what happened, yet on this thread he's tried, convicted, and sentenced. The liberal community seems to do this every time an "unarmed" minority person is shot by law enforcement - regardless of whether the "victims" took actions that threatened or imperiled the officers. It's a kneejerk assumption, without even examining the facts, that the shooter was "racist" and the angelic "victim" had their rights denied and was shot solely due to the color of their skin.

It's a shame, I have heard a number of people already say they will not even listen to "Wrecking Ball" because, in their opinion, "Springsteen is a piece of s*** because he wrote 'that Amadou Diallo song'." Regardless of Bruce's actual intent re the message in that song, it has been taken as an indictment by law enforcement people and those who support and respect them: Yes, they think Bruce is saying, you're all a bunch of racists who disregard people's legal rights and wantonly shoot at dark colored people without provocation. Too bad so many people are totally turned off Bruce because of that one song. I know, you'll say "who needs them then," but a lot of them are decent people and might have enjoyed some of the music Bruce has done since that song came out.

#17 JustDan

JustDan

• Members
  • 14,865 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

Wow, there is some rush to judgement on this thread.

Rush to judgement?

Here is a quote from Zimmerman when he called this in to 911: "These assholes always get away with it". That's a direct quote taken from the audio tape of the call. Further, the 911 dispatcher CLEARLY tells him NOT TO ENGAGE OR CONFRONT, that they were dispatching police officers to the scene and that those officers would deal with the situation.

Based on the above, would it be wrong in your view if people assumed the worst?...

#18 BrotherBridges

BrotherBridges

• Members
  • 4,423 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1975

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:02 PM

"These assholes always get away with it". That's a direct quote taken from the audio tape of the call. Further, the 911 dispatcher CLEARLY tells him NOT TO ENGAGE OR CONFRONT, that they were dispatching police officers to the scene and that those officers would deal with the situation.

Based on the above, would it be wrong in your view if people assumed the worst?...

True, but then there's this which sounds a little different:

This guy looks like hes up to no good or on drugs or something, Mr. Zimmerman told a dispatcher in his initial call. Its raining and hes just walking around, looking about. Mr. Zimmerman continued: Hes here now just looking at all the houses. Now hes just staring at me. Then he added a second later: Hes coming to check me out. Hes got something in his hands. I dont know what his deal is. Can you get an officer over here?

#19 Welby

Welby

• Members
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

Really...at no time does Zimmerman use any racial slur. "These assholes always get away with it". How is this in any way connected to the color of his skin???

#20 Welby

Welby

• Members
  • 14,070 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

There is reasonable suspicion that this security guard thought this individual didn't belong where he was because of his age and the color of his skin.
How on earth do you come to this CONCLUSION? Are you a racist?

#21 Kay

Kay

• Members
  • 19,248 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

It's a shame, I have heard a number of people already say they will not even listen to "Wrecking Ball" because, in their opinion, "Springsteen is a piece of s*** because he wrote 'that Amadou Diallo song'."

Wow.
Now I work down at the carwash where all it ever does is rain

#22 skyjocky

skyjocky

• Members
  • 33,754 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:20 PM

[quote name='Cozmic Kid' timestamp='1332262035' post='2120037']
[quote name='skyjocky' timestamp='1332259408' post='2120012']
[quote name='53 Esquire' timestamp='1332259262' post='2120011']
[quote name='skyjocky' timestamp='1332259171' post='2120009']
[quote name='Cozmic Kid' timestamp='1332255020' post='2119983']
[quote name='skyjocky' timestamp='1332254285' post='2119978']

[/quote]I hope theybthrow him.in jail.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Er, I believe the Texas court saw things differently.

On June 30, 2008 a Harris County grand jury cleared Mr. Horn by issuing a no-bill after two weeks of testimony. We'll have to wait and see what the Fl. legal system has to say about this case.

RFH-cropped-header.jpg

#23 C4G

C4G

• Members
  • 6,206 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1983

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

"These assholes always get away with it". That's a direct quote taken from the audio tape of the call.

What assholes? Teenagers?

Sorry, but I'm not seeing which specific assholes he means. You're probably right but you cannot be certain.

#24 cheddarmustard

cheddarmustard

• Members
  • 18,566 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

Really...at no time does Zimmerman use any racial slur. "These assholes always get away with it". How is this in any way connected to the color of his skin???

That was my initial take. It's possible that the guy just likes to roust up teens.

But on the phone call with the police, he mutters what sounds very much like "f*cking c**ns." There goes any credibility, IMO.

#25 Cozmic Kid

Cozmic Kid

• Members
  • 41,780 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

[quote name='skyjocky' timestamp='1332264029' post='2120053']
[quote name='Cozmic Kid' timestamp='1332262035' post='2120037']
[quote name='skyjocky' timestamp='1332259408' post='2120012']
[quote name='53 Esquire' timestamp='1332259262' post='2120011']
[quote name='skyjocky' timestamp='1332259171' post='2120009']
[quote name='Cozmic Kid' timestamp='1332255020' post='2119983']
[quote name='skyjocky' timestamp='1332254285' post='2119978']

[/quote]I hope theybthrow him.in jail.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Er, I believe the Texas court saw things differently.

On June 30, 2008 a Harris County grand jury cleared Mr. Horn by issuing a no-bill after two weeks of testimony. We'll have to wait and see what the Fl. legal system has to say about this case.
[/quote]
Yeah, like a Texass court is something to be proud over.

That's like saying I am proud over Saudi Arabian justice system.

OIf course a Texass court will always side with someone gunning unarmed people down from behind. How can they even be against it? They execute mentally retarted people themselves.

It's the glasshouse all over again.

gangster_zpsf28fe1c2.jpg

SHOWS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users