JustDan

Trayvon Martin Blues

2,705 posts in this topic

Good for her. That must have been incredibly difficult. To show kindness when her heart has broken took strength and courage. Maybe her voice can end some of the anger and idiocy (like Mike Tyson's recent statement that someone should shoot Zimmerman.)

I can't imagine what it is to lose a child in this way. I hope the family finds peace

I have no animosity towards Mr. Martin or Mr. Zimmerman, nor do I support either one of them. My whole problem with this case is why is it national news? How did this become the juggernaut it has become? At best this is a local issue. I sincerely and with all my heart believe that if Mr. Zimmerman was not the bearer of that unfortunate moniker, we would never have heard of this case. And that speaks volumes about Amerika.

If I had a son, he wouldn't look like Jorge.

30877487_240X180.jpg

Does Zimmerman's ethnicity somehow prevent him from being prejudiced (I would hesitate to use the term "racist" since that implies power) against other minorities?

Some of the most prejudiced people I have ever meet are minorities themselves.

No, it doesn't, but I think articles like these show that he's not:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-04-05/news/os-george-zimmerman-fliers-20120405_1_sherman-ware-justin-collison-robert-zimmerman

As much as the "editors" of Today and other media outlets wanted to portray him as such.

I'm not sure why you are so down on the media in this case, bbb. Do you think putting an armed killer in jail is a bad thing?

Because without the media attention and the "community agitators" like Al Sharpton...George Zimmerman would still be at large.

Does anyone think Zimmy will walk? If not, what's the sentence you expect?

----------------

There seems to be two quite different stories as to what took place - and there are critical details and forensics that are not in the public arena that could either strongly support or strongly refute those stories.

If the story truly is as Zimmerman's quite articulate brother claimed on TV last night to CNN - then I think Zimmerman will either be exonerated of all serious charges or, at very worst, be found guilty of manslaughter.

This could be a very tough case to get a Murder-2 conviction on, unless there is a strong eyewitness for the prosecution.

I'm not sure why you are so down on the media in this case, bbb. Do you think putting an armed killer in jail is a bad thing?

Because without the media attention and the "community agitators" like Al Sharpton...George Zimmerman would still be at large.

So, the end justifies the means? The portrayal of the cherubic 12 year old Skittle lover was ridiculous and just damages the credibility of what was being asserted, but the editing by NBC to make Zimmerman look like he was saying that Martin was suspicious because he was black was downright heinous. YMMV.

No one called him cherubic or said he was 12 years old. He was carrying Skittles and an iced tea--those are called facts. (The line about majoring in cheerfulness was an actual quotation from a teacher. it was not dishonest. And the iced tea was for his little brother...which wasn't publicized and is a real heart-stirrer (if you have a heart). This isn't a hype job--a 17 year old boy was followed for no good reason and then killed with a gun by an adult. Those are the FACTS. Do you know what Zimmerman's MySpace nickname was? "Datniggytb"--pretty damaging, I'd say. And that isn't an edit by NBC.

Which was misleading, but hardly the hugely prejudicial media gaffe you seem to think it is.

You've got to be kidding me. It was fucking horrible.

I have no idea what Datniggytb means.

The Onion ‏ @TheOnion

American Voices: Zimmerman Charged With 2nd-Degree Murder | "Is it just me or is this rush to judgment taking forever?" http://onion.com/IJ3mft

Rush to judgment? That's pretty funny...don't most killers go to jail in the US? Is that a "rush to judgment"? Do you advocate for all killers to stay out of jail until they go to court?

Or just this particular one?

You know, I get the sense that you would be arguing if I could provide a video showing George Zimmerman chasing and shooting Trayvon and you could see that young man's mouth along with hearing the screams.

Because you'd hate to rush to judgment.

Sorry, I don't write the jokes for The Onion. Take it up with them.

So, it was a nickname his black friends gave him. That makes sense.

And, if you haven't noticed, I post Onion tweets all the time here, and most of them are busting on righties, because I think they're funny. I think this is the first time I've posted one that might look like it's busting lefties.

The mom retracted her Today Show comments. Now uses words like stalked and cold blood.

The mom retracted her Today Show comments. Now uses words like stalked and cold blood.

What was it that she said on the Today show? I can't keep track of this stuff!

Would this help: dat (that) niggy tb

tb --the family (after denying that this was actually Zimmerman's account) says it is for tugboat but it could also stand for Trayvon Benjamin.

Well, there's the proverbial smoking gun that shows this killing was premeditated.

Unless Zimmerman actually started using that handle after the shooting, which is unlikely since no one has used myspace since, I believe, around 2009.

Would this help: dat (that) niggy tb

tb --the family (after denying that this was actually Zimmerman's account) says it is for tugboat but it could also stand for Trayvon Benjamin.

Well, there's the proverbial smoking gun that shows this killing was premeditated.

Unless Zimmerman actually started using that handle after the shooting, which is unlikely since no one has used myspace since, I believe, around 2009.

And yet the family denied it was his at all. Which means that other things they say must also be looked at with suspicious eyes.

I always thought the whole black on black thing was used by blacks to try to cut down on it. I hate it. It's like saying stop killing blacks and kill more whites. How about just not killing anybody?