• Please log in to reply
2622 replies to this topic

#626 53 Esquire

53 Esquire

• Members
  • 25,652 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1985

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:33 AM

I worked for the Census and I can tell you for a fact that "Hispanic" is not considered a separate race -- Hispanic is considered white.

Then we can't consider the Arizona anti-illegal immigration initiatives racist can we?
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with approval of their own conscience" - C. S. Lewis

#627 BrotherBridges

BrotherBridges

• Members
  • 4,411 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1975

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:23 AM

It does not matter what the race, ethnicity or culture of the shooter was. The "White Man" and his oppression is behind the pervasive racist attitude that devalues Black lives and kills Black people indiscriminately, merely for living in their American skin... Black cops or Hispanic neighborhood watchmen are mere lackeys, Uncle Toms and wannabe White men who have sold out and are enforcing the racist White man's genocidal agenda.

#628 BrotherBridges

BrotherBridges

• Members
  • 4,411 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1975

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:29 AM

The proof of the White sponsored racist oppression is that Black parents have to tell their children that if they are ever approached by the police, even if they have done nothing wrong, they must always speak politely and make no threatening gestures. White parents never ever tell their children anything of this nature.

#629 bbb

bbb

• Members
  • 12,122 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:32 AM

LOL - my parents taught me to disrespect cops at all times! Just because I could get away with it!

buffalo-bills-jim-kelly-collection-autom

#630 bbb

bbb

• Members
  • 12,122 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

It does suck for blacks that whites invented AIDS to kill them off.

#631 BirdManT

BirdManT

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

The proof of the White sponsored racist oppression is that Black parents have to tell their children that if they are ever approached by the police, even if they have done nothing wrong, they must always speak politely and make no threatening gestures. White parents never ever tell their children anything of this nature.

You are kidding, right? I'm a white male and my parents told me many, many times to do just that. It's called respect - something lacking quite a bit in today's world.

#632 53 Esquire

53 Esquire

• Members
  • 25,652 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1985

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

You are kidding, right? I'm a white male and my parents told me many, many times to do just that. It's called respect - something lacking quite a bit in today's world.

You might want to get your sarcasm meter rechecked.

Go back and listen to American Skin, I have and although I like the song and get the idea behind it but read these lyrics

If an officer stops you
Promise you'll always be polite,
that you'll never ever run away
Promise Mama you'll keep your hands in sight

Is that relly something "odd" or "extraoridnary" a Black person has to do the rest of us don't?
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with approval of their own conscience" - C. S. Lewis

#633 BirdManT

BirdManT

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

No sarcasm at all. It's an awfully broad brush saying "White parents never ever tell their children anything of this nature".

I know all about American Skin. Where in those lyrics does it say what the race of the characters is? My parents told us kids those things from a young age. Why does it have to be a race thing?

#634 BirdManT

BirdManT

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

The very few times I've been pulled over, I always got my wallet, registration and insurance cards out and put them on the dashboard before the officer would approach. By the time they got to the window, my hands never were out of site reaching for anything - something my folks taught us early on.

#635 BirdManT

BirdManT

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

I guess this guy didn't listen to his Mother....

#636 skyjocky

skyjocky

• Members
  • 33,430 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:BITUSA

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

The very few times I've been pulled over, I always got my wallet, registration and insurance cards out and put them on the dashboard before the officer would approach. By the time they got to the window, my hands never were out of site reaching for anything - something my folks taught us early on.

Exactly! My youngest son, a Texas State Trooper, told me the LAST thing they want to see when they get to a pulled over car, is someone reaching into a glove box, console or under the seat. Police weapons get unholstered that way. Keep your hands in clear view and don't make any sudden moves. It's really very simple.

Since the New Deal, republicans have been on the wrong side of every issue of concern to ordinary Americans; Social Security, the war in Vietnam, equal rights, civil liberties, church-state separation, consumer issues, public education, reproductive freedom, national health care, labor issues, campaign-finance reform, the environment and tax fairness. No political party could remain so consistently wrong by accident. The only rational conclusion is that, despite their cynical "family values" propaganda, the republican party is a criminal conspiracy to betray the interests of the American people in favor of plutocratic and corporate interests, and absolutist religious groups.

"These are low-functioning sociopaths who defecate platitudes like "Freedom", "America", "Family", "Patriot", and "Values" with the speed and dispersal of diarrhea... they do so without thought, any genuine feeling invested or understanding of the sacrosanct concepts in question! They are the enemy of us all! They are the enemy within! They are the dry rot in the floorboards of our civilization! They are the cancer metastasizing through the body-politic! They are collectively a dangerous unknowing child with a gun now found and they will wound us terribly!" 

As long as baggers, bigots and bible thumpers control the repub party, they are doomed to go the way of the Dodo.

RFH-cropped-header.jpg

#637 bbb

bbb

• Members
  • 12,122 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:24 PM

T - BB is kidding and E is pointing out the same thing. That one of the biggest beefs I keep hearing from the black community on this is that they seem to think they are the only ones that these words apply to:

If an officer stops you
Promise me you'll always be polite,
that you'll never ever run away
Promise Mama you'll keep your hands in sight

#638 JoanFontaine

JoanFontaine

• Moderators
  • 7,181 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:Day One

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:44 PM

Wouldn't the safer thing to do is when you are pulled over just sit still with your hands on the top of the steering wheel? From the second they decide to pull you over you are being watched, and doing anything out of sight doesn't sound like a good idea. Plenty of time to follow directions when they get to you and tell you what they want.
'Til the world falls apart
I wanna be with you

#639 BirdManT

BirdManT

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:47 PM

SJ you're so right - it's really very simple.

bbb - I didn't take it that either BB or E53 were kidding. After rereading BB's post I can see he might be joshing. The 41 shots thing has always gotten me riled up. I attended (with a police captain friend) the MSG debut of 41 shots with the NYPD protesting the show because the tune is anti-police. We didn't and don't see it that way.

#640 BirdManT

BirdManT

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Wouldn't the safer thing to do is when you are pulled over just sit still with your hands on the top of the steering wheel? From the second they decide to pull you over you are being watched, and doing anything out of sight doesn't sound like a good idea. Plenty of time to follow directions when they get to you and tell you what they want.

No. I actually have been thanked by the officers for doing what I did (even in Chicago :P ). As SJ stated, that's the last thing they want - someone reaching here and there. BTW the Chicago pull over was because I pulled a u-turn at an intersection. When he realized I had a rental car and out of state license, he explained that you can only u-turn where it's marked - unlike here in PA. I thanked him, he thanked me and sent me on my way.

#641 bbb

bbb

• Members
  • 12,122 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

bbb - I didn't take it that either BB or E53 were kidding. After rereading BB's post I can see he might be joshing. The 41 shots thing has always gotten me riled up. I attended (with a police captain friend) the MSG debut of 41 shots with the NYPD protesting the show because the tune is anti-police. We didn't and don't see it that way.

BB is kidding and E is making the same point as you. They both are. And, so am I.

#642 BirdManT

BirdManT

• Members
  • 1,007 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:31 PM

BB is kidding and E is making the same point as you. They both are. And, so am I.

If that's the case then I apologize to BB and 53E. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

#643 skyjocky

skyjocky

• Members
  • 33,430 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 06:32 PM

I'm just going by what Daren has told me and what I've always done, not that I have been pulled over often. If you have all the information you know they will request, in plain view, on the dashboard, and your hands clearly visible on the wheel, there is no reason to go digging when asked for the documents. With one hand, get the documents from the dashboard and hand it to the officer while keeping the other hand on the wheel. Too many officers have been shot by people who dig in consoles after being asked for documentation and pull a weapon instead of producing insurance information.

Since the New Deal, republicans have been on the wrong side of every issue of concern to ordinary Americans; Social Security, the war in Vietnam, equal rights, civil liberties, church-state separation, consumer issues, public education, reproductive freedom, national health care, labor issues, campaign-finance reform, the environment and tax fairness. No political party could remain so consistently wrong by accident. The only rational conclusion is that, despite their cynical "family values" propaganda, the republican party is a criminal conspiracy to betray the interests of the American people in favor of plutocratic and corporate interests, and absolutist religious groups.

"These are low-functioning sociopaths who defecate platitudes like "Freedom", "America", "Family", "Patriot", and "Values" with the speed and dispersal of diarrhea... they do so without thought, any genuine feeling invested or understanding of the sacrosanct concepts in question! They are the enemy of us all! They are the enemy within! They are the dry rot in the floorboards of our civilization! They are the cancer metastasizing through the body-politic! They are collectively a dangerous unknowing child with a gun now found and they will wound us terribly!" 

As long as baggers, bigots and bible thumpers control the repub party, they are doomed to go the way of the Dodo.

RFH-cropped-header.jpg

#644 Kay

Kay

• Members
  • 17,812 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1984

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

For the one or two Bill Maher fans on here who may have missed this. The relevance for this thread starts around the 2:30 mark. "Happy Easter Mother Fucker!"

Now I work down at the carwash where all it ever does is rain

#645 NikitaC

NikitaC

• Members
  • 13,533 posts
  • My Page: In Collection:m
  • Springsteen fan since?:I'm On Fire

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

Interesting article
My link

And finally a normal, more recent picture of the kid.

Ugh, link didn't work. Sorry. I'll link it from my computer
"I found out a long time ago what a woman can do to your soul
Ah, but she can't take you anyway, You don't already know how to go"

“It contributes greatly towards a man's moral and intellectual health, to be brought into habits of companionship with individuals unlike himself, who care little for his pursuits, and whose sphere and abilities he must go out of himself to appreciate.”
"Don't come around unless you gonna throw down" ~Judge Mathis

#646 NikitaC

NikitaC

• Members
  • 13,533 posts
  • My Page: In Collection:m
  • Springsteen fan since?:I'm On Fire

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:39 AM

C&p

Experts say screams on 911 call in Trayvon Martin shooting were not George Zimmerman’s

George Zimmerman, left, and Trayvon Martin, right, photo from the cover of the memorial brochure given to guests at his funeral on March 3, 2012. (File photos)

Two forensic voice experts who analyzed the 911 call in the Trayvon Martin shooting have found the screams and calls for help did not come from George Zimmerman.

Before Zimmerman shot Martin on Feb. 26, a woman called 911 to report people screaming and fighting outside her home. A voice can be heard screaming for help on that call before the sound of gun shots. The woman reports she could not see what was happening.

The two experts, both of whom were contacted by the Orlando Sentinel, arrived at the same conclusion using two different methods.

Tom Owen, a forensic consultant and a court-qualified expert, used biometric voice analysis which uses computers to compare audio of Zimmerman’s voice to the audio of the 911 call. The software returned a 48 percent match which Owen said is not a high enough percentage to be a positive match. Owen, who did not have samples of Martin’s voice, was unable to determine if Martin is the one screaming on the audio of the 911 call.

Ed Primeau, an audio engineer and forensics expert, used audio enhancement and human analysis to come to the same conclusion that it is not Zimmerman’s voice calling for help. He told the Orlando Sentinel he believes it is Martin’s voice on the recording of the 911 call.

Zimmerman told police he shot Martin in self defense after Martin attacked him and that he was the one calling for help.

You can read more on the experts’ methods here.
"I found out a long time ago what a woman can do to your soul
Ah, but she can't take you anyway, You don't already know how to go"

“It contributes greatly towards a man's moral and intellectual health, to be brought into habits of companionship with individuals unlike himself, who care little for his pursuits, and whose sphere and abilities he must go out of himself to appreciate.”
"Don't come around unless you gonna throw down" ~Judge Mathis

#647 skyjocky

skyjocky

• Members
  • 33,430 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 03:16 AM

Maybe the acoustic experts are jumping to conclusions too. :rolleyes:

RFH-cropped-header.jpg

#648 BillyB

BillyB

• Members
  • 2,960 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:Late 70's

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:08 AM

My posts and thoughts about this whole tragic situation were about the way the incident was portrayed in the media and the fact that not one of us, or those drawing conclusions in the press had a clue as to what transpired that night. The lynch mob mentality, the way Zimmerman was convicted by people with no clue, the twitters, the t-shirts and the 'jumping to conclusions' based on little or no facts was and is appalling to me.

Even if this guy turns out to be a murderer, it doesn't change the way I feel about the way some people treated this thing. If he is tried and convicted then I guess people can high five each other because they were right....this time. Next time, maybe some poor innocent bastard gets shot in the chest because of a mass twitter or some other nonsense.

#649 bbb

bbb

• Members
  • 12,122 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:19 AM

My posts and thoughts about this whole tragic situation were about the way the incident was portrayed in the media and the fact that not one of us, or those drawing conclusions in the press had a clue as to what transpired that night. The lynch mob mentality, the way Zimmerman was convicted by people with no clue, the twitters, the t-shirts and the 'jumping to conclusions' based on little or no facts was and is appalling to me.

Even if this guy turns out to be a murderer, it doesn't change the way I feel about the way some people treated this thing. If he is tried and convicted then I guess people can high five each other because they were right....this time. Next time, maybe some poor innocent bastard gets shot in the chest because of a mass twitter or some other nonsense.

This!

Next time, maybe somebody like Spike Lee gives out the address of who he thinks is guilty so that his followers can go do their vigilante justice.

Wait - I mean next time maybe he gives out the right address instead of some retired couple's place.

#650 Power13

Power13

• Members
  • 21,568 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:There was hair on my head

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

This!

Next time, maybe somebody like Spike Lee gives out the address of who he thinks is guilty so that his followers can go do their vigilante justice.

Wait - I mean next time maybe he gives out the right address instead of some retired couple's place.

Of course what you guys are failing to realize is that Zimmerman is NOT being subjected to any kind of prosecutorial process. He is (currently) walking away scott-free from killing a 17 YO kid. "If" he is tried and convicted? Even "if" he turns out to be a murderer? Well, I guess that part is right...."if".

And what vigilante justice are you talking about? Zimmerman has not been subjected to any such thing. Since when is outrage over an apparent whitewash of an investigation "vigilante justice"?

Be good, be kind, be truthful and be free.

Be Good, Hothouse Flowers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users