Photo

Need help with playing flac files

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 Horley2

Horley2

• Members
  • 19,110 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:07 AM

I am new to downloading shows. My first successful download was the Apollo show that was a RAR file (once I discovered that I needed to download WinRAR). Not sure how I did it, but it did not take long for me to download and listen to the Apollo show.

I now have tried downloading the Tampa show that was posted on this board from Dime. I downloaded the Free Torrent Viewer and it appears I have the files in my computer as a flac. Windows Media Player is saying that it does not support these files. I have tried Google to get a remedy buy my head is now spinning from all the different advice. Converting each flac file to a WAV or mp3 seems like a hassle if instead I can find a program to download that will allow me to listen to the songs or that will allow WIndows Media Player to support the files.

If you couldn't tell, I have a large learning curve. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

#2 riverdude2

riverdude2

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:43 AM

Windows Media Player won't play .flac files as you know. I'd suggest you download VLC Player (it's free) from here http://www.videolan.org/vlc/. It will play almost type of audio and video file including .flac.

Should you wish to burn a CD from your .flac files then Burrrn (also free) will do that for you http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4

All the best.

#3 CE'S USED CARS

CE'S USED CARS

• Members
  • 6,494 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

I use winamp to play Flac files it's a free download.

Official two time watcher of Incident full band live Hamden 2009 (thanks dean for the ticket)
Paris night 2 2012 (best indoor show i've ever seen)

#4 Growin' Up

Growin' Up

• Members
  • 8,975 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:42 PM

I use FLAC Frontend to convert Flac into wav and then burn to cd as usual.
www.euromove.org.uk

#5 riverdude2

riverdude2

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

But .flac is lossless already so using Burrrn above misses out any need to convert to .wav. I use Nero with a .flac plugin to burn direct in similar fashion.

#6 Horley2

Horley2

• Members
  • 19,110 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

Windows Media Player won't play .flac files as you know. I'd suggest you download VLC Player (it's free) from here http://www.videolan.org/vlc/. It will play almost type of audio and video file including .flac.

Should you wish to burn a CD from your .flac files then Burrrn (also free) will do that for you http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4

All the best.

Thanks for everyones advice.

Question--if I burn the flac files to a CD using Burrn, will I be able to play the CD in lets say my car (a device that does not have VLC Player.)?

Also, why aren't files that are suppported by WIndows used, for example RAR?

#7 Horley2

Horley2

• Members
  • 19,110 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Can I convert all the files at once, or do I need to do each one separately? I tried converting last nigt using a different file converter but only seemed to be able to convert 1 file at a time and 1 file conversion took like a minute or so. Thanks!!! Phil

#8 riverdude2

riverdude2

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:41 PM

All the best.

Question--if I burn the flac files to a CD using Burrn, will I be able to play the CD in lets say my car (a device that does not have VLC Player.)?

Yes any CD you burn is a "normal" one playable in any drive/CD player.

Not sure about your second question, WMP just doesn't support .flac and .flac is used for torrents because it's the smallest most common lossless format.

#9 karma

• Members
  • 2,354 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:43 PM

All the best.

Not sure about your second question, WMP just doesn't support .flac and .flac is used for torrents because it's the smallest most common lossless format.

You will not be able to play the FLAC files in the CD player in you car. You need to convert to WAV first (or while burning).

Trader's Little Helper is a great tool (free). You can covert the whole show at once.
It will only take a couple of minutes.

#10 riverdude2

riverdude2

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

All the best.

You will not be able to play the FLAC files in the CD player in you car. You need to convert to WAV first (or while burning).

Trader's Little Helper is a great tool (free). You can covert the whole show at once.
It will only take a couple of minutes.

No, you're wrong. Burrrn is the only software needed to make a standard audio CD from .flac.

See http://www.afterdawn...th_freeware.cfm

#11 Growin' Up

Growin' Up

• Members
  • 8,975 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

I'm fairly technologically challenged so I bow to others superior knowledge, but I was always told by traders when I first started to download and trade to either use flac frontend or traders little helper when converting flac files.

But then again I've been brought up to believe that mp3s are the devils work :lol:
www.euromove.org.uk

#12 Horley2

Horley2

• Members
  • 19,110 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:22 PM

All the best.

Good Grief!! I just download Trader's Little Helper. When I tried to convert a file I rec'd this msg
02 Wrecking Ball.flac: file is not a supported type of audio file or is corrupt.

There were errors.

There is no manual. I selected Format and then convert encoding format. Did I do something wrong or could the files be corrupt? ugh!

#13 riverdude2

riverdude2

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

I'm fairly technologically challenged so I bow to others superior knowledge, but I was always told by traders when I first started to download and trade to either use flac frontend or traders little helper when converting flac files.

But then again I've been brought up to believe that mp3s are the devils work :lol:

You're not wrong in any way G U, it's just different ways of reaching the same end result. Everyone favours different software etc, doesn't mean it's definitive or the only or best method to use.

#14 Horley2

Horley2

• Members
  • 19,110 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

I just downloaded VLC media player and I can't get the files to play, so they must be corrupt for some reason I am unaware of. :(

#15 riverdude2

riverdude2

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

I just downloaded VLC media player and I can't get the files to play, so they must be corrupt for some reason I am unaware of. :(

It certainly sounds like that is the case. VLC player would definitely play your files otherwise.

When you downloaded the show from Dime (using Free Torrent Viewer which I haven't used), did the download definitely complete ie all parts of each .flac? I can only think that maybe they did not. Corrupt downloads do happen but are fairly rare.

I use U Torrent for downloading but there are many programs used.

Don't give up on trying to get the hang of it all and if I can help, feel free to PM me or post further questions here.

#16 Horley2

Horley2

• Members
  • 19,110 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

It certainly sounds like that is the case. VLC player would definitely play your files otherwise.

When you downloaded the show from Dime (using Free Torrent Viewer which I haven't used), did the download definitely complete ie all parts of each .flac? I can only think that maybe they did not. Corrupt downloads do happen but are fairly rare.

I use U Torrent for downloading but there are many programs used.

Don't give up on trying to get the hang of it all and if I can help, feel free to PM me or post further questions here.

Thanks so much, riverdude. I am going to wait for the Philly shows to download those shows and try converting those files and/or trying to play in the VLC player and use Burrn to burn. I appreciate your support. Phil

#17 Horley2

Horley2

• Members
  • 19,110 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

Success! The other flac files musta been corrupt. I may have aborted the torrent viewer. I just downloaded and burned Philly night 1! Yippee!!

#18 riverdude2

riverdude2

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 08:31 AM

Success! The other flac files musta been corrupt. I may have aborted the torrent viewer. I just downloaded and burned Philly night 1! Yippee!!

Hey well done, that's great.

DVDs are easy too. The difficulty people experience most at first is maintaining that minimum 0.25% share ratio required on Dime and Jungleland. Make sure you upload any torrents you have when you can. I think by donating you can get a reprieve if share ratio is an issue.

#19 Horley2

Horley2

• Members
  • 19,110 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 12:43 AM

riverdude2, thanks for all of your support. Thanks to you, I also downloaded a u2 show from Philly last summer. My daughter, wife and I went to that show we all are going to enjoy reliving that beautiful, moonlit summer night! ( On another thread You posted a link for a u2 board to download show.)

#20 KleWdSide

KleWdSide

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 07:15 PM

I use Foobar for FLAC.
Posted Image

#21 Horley2

Horley2

• Members
  • 19,110 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

I use Foobar for FLAC.

Thanks. I used Traders Little Helper and as advertised it waas easy and fast. (So I think it was fast.)