Photo

Welcome back

And what\s the deal now?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 CosmicKid

CosmicKid

• Admin
  • 6,534 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

It's been a long time coming, but now we're back. And this time we'll stay back! The last month or more has been the most frustrating time in Greasy Lake history. Actually, it started months ago when Bruce came out of his hiatus and traffic on this site started to skyrocket again. It became slow and unstable, because the shared server we changed to last year during a very quiet time just wasn't scaled for full tour mode.

So back in April I thought I found the perfect solution with a cross between a shared server and a dedicated server, called a Virtual Personal Server. In the beginning it went fine - even with high traffic - but then it too became slow and unstable and our host started to automatically suspend the site for using too much CPU (processor). That would keep us shut down for a day or three at a time. I messed with all the settings and tried to figure out why it used so much CPU, but every time we were unsuspended it was only a matter of days or hours before we crossed the limit again and the handcuffs went back on. It didn't seem to matter if there were few or many users online. The CPU meter was constantly in the red zone. I tried to upgrade the account to twice the amount of CPU and memory, but if anything it only got worse.

It finally got so bad that I decided to take the step and move the site to a dedicated server. That went pretty well. It took a couple of days to set it up and move all the data. It was when it was time to point the greasylake.org domain to the new server that things started to go really wrong. It was already a hassle back when we moved from the shared server to the VPS a few months ago, but man, what I would have given to have been let off that easily again!

The problem was that the domain registrar was not the same company as the hosting company. In theory that shouldn't be such a big deal, but in this case it was the reason we were offline for more than two weeks. The registrar claimed to have made the necessary updates that would point the domain to the new dedicated server, but for unknown reasons nothing happened. After some arguing back and forth with them, I decided the only way to solve it would be to move the domain registration to the hosting company where I would have total control myself. Unfortunately, that turned out to be a much longer process than I ever thought possible. There's a very high degree of security involved when transferring domains to a new registrar where you must prove you're the rightful owner of the domain and then, after you have proved it, go through a five-day quarantine just in case you want to change your mind.

When the move was finally completed this morning, it took me about 30 seconds to change the settings that made the whole difference and allowed for the site to reappear.

All of this doesn't quite explain why it took as long as it did. I guess it was also a matter of dealing with people for whom Greasy Lake is not life and death. A simple exchange of information would take a couple of days, because the people involved for some reason also had other things to do than helping me. Surely, I've made my share of mistakes too that delayed the process - plus I had an appointment with Bruce in Berlin that couldn't be postponed. But overall, it was done as quickly as possible. However, to say the last month has been frustrating would be the understatement of the year. Especially since I wasn't able to inform people about what was going on, except if you happen to "like" our Facebook page or subscribe to us on Twitter. In that connection, it's been a tremendous help to read the messages of support and understanding from those of you who do frequent Facebook and Twitter. I've heard very few negative comments and that's just amazing.

Anyway, here we are now, on a brand new dedicated server with twice the power as the one we were on until about a year ago and at half the price. Still, it's a whole lot more money than the VPS we left, so fundraisers will probably be more frequent than I would have liked. But I think we can do it.

So welcome to the new Janey server. We can call her Janey the Third. I hope and think she will be the solution to all the problems, but as usual I must warn that there could be hiccups in the beginning while everything is fine-tuned.

Enjoy your swim!

PS, I will be working on new dark and light skins soon, so until then, we'll be using the default skin which is not bad at all and which will remain an option even when the new skins are in place.
"I don't know what I'm gonna find, maybe nothing at all, maybe a world I can call mine"
"The dope's that there's still hope"

#2 daveed76

daveed76

• Members
  • 24,198 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

Thanks as always for putting in all that hard work to bring the Lake back. I can't imagine how frustrating this must have been. But now it's back and we can all rejoice!
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say - Mike Cooley

#3 cabbyian

cabbyian

• Members
  • 18,431 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 09:56 PM

Thanks Karsten.
I like you. You remind me of myself when I was young and stupid.

#4 Early North Jersey

Early North Jersey

• Members
  • 8,308 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:15 PM

Thanks Karsten. A lot of that computer talk is over my head. But I'm sure happy you were able to figure it out.
This Turnpike sure is spooky at night when you're all alone.

#5 MacBruce

MacBruce

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

Fantastic work...thanks for all your efforts.
Must have been a nightmare..
"Clarence doesn't leave the E Street Band when he dies, he leaves when we die " : Bruce Springsteen June 21st 2011 at the Big Man's funeral.

#6 FeeMac

FeeMac

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:30 PM

Sounds like a nightmare for you, but thanks for sticking with it - it sooooo good to have the Lake back!!! And just in time for Sunderland x

#7 Magnus

Magnus

• Members
  • 17,386 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:34 PM

Thank you for everything you do, Karsten.
AWWN, TWO, THREE, FAAAWWR!

#8 AnotherNJfan

AnotherNJfan

• Members
  • 6,504 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

Thank you, Karsten! You certainly are dedicated, sir.
...I'll love you with all the madness in my soul

#9 andre

andre

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

Thank you Karsten! I've been missing the Lake. Great to be back!

#10 hicky56

hicky56

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:52 PM

Thank you very much Karsten, I understood a bit of the techi stuff. You must have been tearing your hair out.

#11 larf

larf

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:27 AM

Thank you Karsten!!

#12 Al M

Al M

• Members
  • 9,383 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:33 AM

I sure did miss the Lake Karsten.

#13 MadamMarie

MadamMarie

• Members
  • 3,742 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:38 AM

Thanks Karsten! It's so nice to be home. Your efforts are truly appreciated. :)

"Come on this train."

#14 Daskill

Daskill

• Members
  • 6,517 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:44 AM

Sounds like a real bitch to deal with. Thanks for all your hard work!

#15 Lambkin

Lambkin

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:45 AM

THANK YOU Karsten.. Really appreciate all your dedication.

#16 Horley2

Horley2

• Members
  • 19,110 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:06 AM

Karstan, thank you so much for all you do to keep us "swimming." It is great to be back!

#17 Chuck

Chuck

• Members
  • 25,189 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:19 AM

So welcome to the new Janey server. We can call her Janey the Third.

Be careful - hell hath no fury like a Mary and Wendy scorned.

But on behalf of the rest of us, thanks, Karsten.

And he hated himself, and hated her, too, for the ruin they'd made of each other.

url.jpg

#18 Dougiel

Dougiel

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

Thanks for your efforts. Good to see you back

#19 snowpatrolchlo

snowpatrolchlo

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

Well done! If it was me , I know I would have given up ages ago- welcome back, lakers!

I deeply regret my user name choice, so please, just call me Chloe :) 

Dublin#1- 17.07.13 , Belfast -20.07.13, and many more to come. 

#20 Ed from Philly

Ed from Philly

• Members
  • 6,435 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:45 PM

Karsten, you're a Saint, the folks here should line up to wash you're feet ... :)

Thanks
Sometimes you feel like a nut ...

#21 L.B.

L.B.

• Members
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Sooooo good to be back :-)
Thank you for your hard work Karsten!

#22 CosmicKid

CosmicKid

• Admin
  • 6,534 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:19 PM

Karsten, you're a Saint, the folks here should line up to wash you're feet ... :)

Thanks

Um, no thank you, I'm good, but I appreciate the sentiment :).
"I don't know what I'm gonna find, maybe nothing at all, maybe a world I can call mine"
"The dope's that there's still hope"

#23 VABOSSFAN

VABOSSFAN

• Members
  • 21,839 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:18 PM

Thank you Karsten :) ....You're a cool dude but I really wouldn't want to wash your feet. :lol:

I ain't here for business...I'm only here for fun!

#24 Eileen

Eileen

• Members
  • 55,702 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:28 PM

Thanks, Karsten. There's nowhere else half as nice.

#25 workingonthehighway

workingonthehighway

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

Thank you for all your time and efforts!
Truly happy to be swimming in this beautiful lake again!