Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rotten Johnny

IDEAL 2013 UK VENUES.

0 posts in this topic

As we await (hopefully) confirmation of the rumours that Bruce will return to Europe in 2013 (and appreciating that some of the thoughts below have been aired before), here are just some views IMHO of where the band should (and should not !) play.......JLM please take note !

London - the rumour suggests Wembley Stadium is being touted. For those not aware, this holds 90,000 (for football) so is huge, too big really but you could see JLM going for if as it would presumably sell out and they could hit big numbers in one go. Obviously everyone would however prefer 4 nights at the O2 but that probably won't happen. Hyde Park not a chance after the debacle this year. Never again ! Ditto forget the Emirates where there were decibel restrictions in 2008, ridiculous, but that is the nanny state for you.

Cardiff - this venue should definitely be revsited, great stadium and with a retracting roof if the weather is poor. Would pick up all the fan base from Wales, the south west of England, and up towards the midlands. A no brainer in my opinion.

The North - clearly the Etihad has burnt its bridges after the disgraceful behaviour of the stadium security people this year - a shame because for me it's a great stadium for a show, and the show ultimately proved that. I guess the obvious alternative is Old Trafford, unless as with my London idea, they go with a run of dates at say the MEN Arena.

The North East - not just saying this for Roy's benefit (!) but the only place to play would be Newcastle Utd, the main city up there, great stadium (capacity 52,000 for football). Sunderland always was an odd choice. That said, I don't think Newcastle really host shows, whereas Sunderland are clearly keen on this angle during the summer........but please no return to the Stadium of Light.

Scotland - surely it's one of the two Glasgow football stadiums (and not Hampden by the way) ie Ibrox or Celtic Park. Both are large but compact so the acoustics could work (how many complaints have there been about the sound at Hampden in '09 - JLM take note !).

The Midlands - what about a return to Villa Park (football capacity @ 45 - 50,000). The biggest venue in the midlands and surely a region that totally warrants a show.

Festivals - no thanks. The Isle of Wight this year and Glastonbury in '09 are not at the end of the day what the real fans want, but obviously there are other reasons for doing these events.

So there we have it : Wembley / Cardiff / Villa Park / Newcastle / Old Trafford / Glasgow - that should do it !

Murrayfield in Edinburgh isn't ideal but it's a contender for a Scottish show. Old Trafford nah! The rest of your picks ok but I'm not sure Bruce can shift enough tickets for all these venues.

Greenday are in for Emirates,2013.

I think it will be a whistlestop Euro tour.Two gigs up north last time round with only festivals down south last two tours,so my guess is 2 gigs at Wembley Stadium and if i were promoting it id add Cardiff.

My Guess would be
Wembley (would they be able to hold concerts at the Olympic stadium), four nights O2 alternative depending on time of year.
Cardiff
Murrayfield (probably best to avoid Ibrox/Celtic Park), a festival might be a possibility.

Possibly a fourth concert at a Midlands football stadium.

The choice of venues will be purely financial.

Theatr Hafren.

Or, at a push, Theatre Severn.

Thanks Bruce.

Murrayfield!! And Cardiff. That would do me!

[quote name='bigbonesbilly' timestamp='1346061103' post='2172935']
would they be able to hold concerts at the Olympic stadium
[/quote]
Can't see it ever being in the running for gigs or as a football stadium without more building work.The food,bars and loos are all outside around the building, nothing inside.The outside is made of canvas like a circus tent.

I have not really been taking much interest in matters Springsteen since the Euro dates ended so I am not sure of where these rumors have come from nor what has been said already on here but would it really surprise folks if he just did the mandatory London gig (i.e. Wembley) and spent more time in Europe? Better crowds and better weather mean better gigs.

Don't even waste your breath or time thinking about Arena's

[quote name='Eden' timestamp='1346062396' post='2172942']
[/quote]
Can't see it ever being in the running for gigs or as a football stadium without more building work.The food,bars and loos are all outside around the building, nothing inside.The outside is made of canvas like a circus tent.
[/quote]

that sounds like the ideal venue for Landau ... come on over the years we've endured the decrepit running track at Crystal Palce, the run down cricket pitch at Old trafford i'm calling Vegas right now to put a bet on the Olympic stadium!!!

[quote name='AMIW' timestamp='1346072672' post='2172962']
[/quote]
[/quote]

that sounds like the ideal venue for Landau ... come on over the years we've endured the decrepit running track at Crystal Palce, the run down cricket pitch at Old trafford i'm calling Vegas right now to put a bet on the Olympic stadium!!!
[/quote]

Milton Keynes was no better.

Elland Road. It already has the best atmosphere in the country.

[quote name='bigbonesbilly' timestamp='1346073553' post='2172966']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That was almost 20 years ago, Milton Keynes has a nice shiny new stadium now. Great transport links, capacity 22,000, hotel attached and Europe's biggest Asda right next door (24 hrs, ideal for pit queue supplies).

[/quote]
[/quote]
There were plenty of toilets inside the stadium for the Olympics. Are these due to disappear when the capacity is reduced if a football team takes over ?? There is a lot of work to go on this stadium to make it fit for football fans so I presume bars and food are going to be added inside

[quote name='Growin' Up' timestamp='1346061725' post='2172939']
Theatr Hafren.

Or, at a push, Theatre Severn.

Thanks Bruce.
[/quote]

And the Pomegranate in Chesterfield, so I can get the bus home afterwards.

If he's back before the new Leeds Arena is ready, the City Varieties would do just fine. As a member I'd get priority for tickets :-)

[img]http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6193/6068764958_848e342000_z.jpg[/img]

I was gonna say that I was still rooting for Rushden & Diamonds FC, but apparently it's now been taken over by Kettering FC, which is confusing cos it's in Irthlingborough :huh:

Anyway, I think it's the way to go... nothing in immediate area ( except for Irthlingborough, but who cares?) local pub a good 30 mins walk ( if it hasn't shut down by then - Oh, you'll need full body armor if it hasn't ) and you can get a good Breakfast bap at the cafe, but it doesn't open until 9am.

On the upside, it's only a ten minute drive from me, so everyone can stay at mine ( including Bruce and the band, cos we don't do hotels here ) for a nominal fee.

No don't thank me. You're welcome :D

I'm gonna try heading to mainland Europe if he does come back. Seen 2 shows in the UK, time to join all the crazy folk abroad I think B)

The Brook in Southampton. Some of his band know it well. He may even get a second night out of them if ticket sales go well.

Could Bruce fill wembley ?

[quote name='JaniceUK' timestamp='1346076445' post='2172985']
[quote name='bigbonesbilly' timestamp='1346073553' post='2172966']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That was almost 20 years ago, Milton Keynes has a nice shiny new stadium now. Great transport links, capacity 22,000, hotel attached and Europe's biggest Asda right next door (24 hrs, ideal for pit queue supplies).
[/quote]

well all those factors rule it out of being picked by landau....

I will be very surprised if Bruce tours Europe again next summer...if he does however, I would hope they would go for the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff again. The show back in 2008 was fantastic not only because I was very close to the stage in the pit, but also the organisation for wristband etc was first class.

I just hope he does some indoor shows. What's wrong with the 02 (in London?). He did it in '07, why not again? (Even though it's a bit of a pain to get to). Wembley arena? (again, 2 Seeger shows there? Why not again?) Yes please, only up the road from me :) Wembley stadium? Well, yes, but, as someone said, would he fill it? I'd take Cardiff again - lovely weekend away!

OK, leaving aside all the chortling, I think we're talking an ideal scenario and a realistic one as being as follows :

Wembley / Cardiff / Edinburgh Murrayfield / Leeds Elland Rd.

That would do it for me. Proper stadiums, proper conurbations, and big catchments that bring the whole of the UK into the picture (JLM take note, you gotta understand the demographics and population of the UK @ 60M peeps).

Manchester gets by-passed as punishment for the Etihad disgrace this year/Cardiff and Leeds could each mop up the Midlands catchment (+ does Villa Park warrant a show anyway as Villa have started the season so badly (?)/Leeds could mop up the north east catchment and what there is in the Liverpool catchment which fundamentally can't afford to travel anywhere anyway.

Yes we'd all love indoor arenas........but that's more in hope than expectation...............

[quote name='Rotten Johnny' timestamp='1346092823' post='2173057']
OK, leaving aside all the chortling, I think we're talking an ideal scenario and a realistic one as being as follows :

Wembley / Cardiff / Edinburgh Murrayfield / Leeds Elland Rd.

That would do it for me. Proper stadiums, proper conurbations, and big catchments that bring the whole of the UK into the picture (JLM take note, you gotta understand the demographics and population of the UK @ 60M peeps).

Manchester gets by-passed as punishment for the Etihad disgrace this year/Cardiff and Leeds could each mop up the Midlands catchment (+ does Villa Park warrant a show anyway as Villa have started the season so badly (?)/Leeds could mop up the north east catchment and what there is in the Liverpool catchment which fundamentally can't afford to travel anywhere anyway.

Yes we'd all love indoor arenas........but that's more in hope than expectation...............
[/quote]

Leeds is also the third biggest city in the country, after London and Birmingham.