Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bossman66

Vini 'Mad-Dog' Lopez's Top 20 Bruce Songs

25 posts in this topic

[center]Go on then Greasy Lake, within minutes of being posted on btx, here's one last guest for the last day of the Top 20 Vote:

[size=5]***ANNOUNCEMENT – [color=#FF0000]Vini ‘Mad-Dog’ Lopez[/color] Top 20 Bruce Songs***[/size]

Well, it’s the last day for the **Vote – Your ALL TIME Top 20 Bruce Songs** poll. Our last official ‘guest-vote’ was Peter Ames Carlin (whatever your views on ‘Follow That Dream’ & ‘One Step Back’…lol) because he had the best commentary of all the guest-votes we had left in hand, but hopefully here's a whole load of fun to finish with.

So, we tried a whole host of other Bruce related names, the holy grail of course being Bruce himself, Jon Landau or any of the current E-Street Band (although I told ‘jamesy’ from the time we got Tom Cunningham’s vote that we would NEVER get any member of the band to take part.

This is a ‘just for fun’ final ‘guest-vote’ by a btx member & a former member & ex-drummer for THE E STREET BAND, may I present, as It was received on facebook just yesterday, a list from [b]Vini ‘Mad-Dog’ Lopez[/b].

Vini still plays with his band ‘License To Chill’ all the time, who you can check out on facebook here:

[url="http://www.facebook...."]http://www.facebook....[/url] ... 9047013481

& also with ‘Steel Mill’ when they’re all able to & you can check out their website here:

[url="http://www.steelmillretro.com/"]http://www.steelmillretro.com/[/url]

This year he also caddied for Mark McCormick in the US Open golf tournament! Incredible versatility![/center]

[center][img]http://i577.photobucket.com/albums/ss213/Bossman66/Top%2020%20pictures/Vini.jpg[/img]

Here’s the list as he sent it to me on facebook yesterday (which I confess I have lots of questions about myself – Born To Re Run anybody?)

[b]“Incident

Rosie

Sandy

Fire

Going back to Georgia

The Judge

All Man the Guns for America

The Train Song

Ely's Funeral Home

Born to Run

Do Run Daddy

Cherokee Queen

Girls in their Summer Cloths

Pink Cad

The American Song

Sherlock goes Holme

Born to Re Run

E Street Shuffle

We Take Care of Our Own

Wreckin' Ball
I have a new Favorite everyday. This list is not in any order. I love em' all!”[/b]

Then I got a further message:

[b]“Spirits in the Night and on and on!”[/b]

& this is the ‘Spirits In The Night’ Vini talked about with Tom Cunningham on Sunday’s Brunch (Go Vini):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJUAnZrA7F4

& then I got a final message from Vini who said –

[b]“When I see the list there I will add Comments or answers to Q’s”[/b]

[size=5][color=#FF0000]So, BTX there’s an open invitation from a former E Street Band member.[/color][/size]

Got any comments or questions on Vini’s list? Post away here ideally rather than on the Top 20 Vote thread

We'd like to thank [b]Vini ‘Mad-Dog’ Lopez[/b] for taking part in the vote on BTX, and for coping with my constant requests over recent weeks with good grace. [b]Thanks Vini.[/b]

May we please take this opportunity to THANK EVERY SINGLE BTX MEMBER who has taken part in the Top 20 Poll & every person who has followed or supported the thread.

[b]We think it’s a testament to the music we love & why we love it SO much, and that’s all we wanted from it.[/b]

Have a great day, everyone
jamesy & Bossman66 (Mike & Mark)[/center]
4 people like this

Haven't thought of "The Train Song" in a long time.

Need to revisit those Greasy Lake sets from back when and listen to some of these

Thanks for making a list Vini, add any comments you want here as well, and keep us current with anything you are doing with your band

Mikey

I just answered some questions on the other forum, BTX. No Qs here?
1 person likes this

interesting list i like the different ones that are more personal than just picking the classics. i would though be interested in seeing your top 20 Vini from born to run onwards would be cool if you dont mind and fancy doing sometime.

is the judge the song known as guilty if so i love that song

Yes it is, and I will!

Born to Run and Born to Re-run? Interested to hear that one clarified

Also noticed the absence of two perennial favorites---Thunder Road and Jungleland both not there. Care to share your feelings on those two songs not making the list?

Everyone has preferences, interested to hear some of your thoughts

Born to Re Run is just a funny that I make.
There are sooo.. many songs that could go on this list. I didn't omit them for any reason. I love those songs also. Start at A and go to Z and I love them all!!
Thanks
;)
:P
:D
B)

Oh good, because I was crushing my memory trying to remember what out take you might have been referring to with Born to Rerun :D

Gotcha on the others, I have been working on what my 20 would be (glad I'm not a celebrity, because I could never finish in time) but as much as I might love "Fire" I just can't see it pushing "Thunder Road" off my list.

So I was wondering if that's how you trimmed your list down, you know Train Song vs Jungleland........hmmm, I will take Train Song. Because then I would have to argue with you ;)

I was listening to Steel Mill last week. Forgot how much I like The Train Station & Going Back To Georgia.

Interesting list Vini, but..."Ely's Funeral Home"? What the hell is [i]that[/i]?? :blink:

When we, Child, were rehearsing in Tinkers surfboard factory. We, Danny, myself and Bruce were all staying at Bruce's house in Freehold. We would drive everyday to Ocean twp. down Rt. 33. Everyday we drove by Ely's Funeral Home and Bruce wrote a song about Going back to Ely's. There we're gonna say our Good by's. I don't think that there are any copies of this song floating around anywhere.
1 person likes this

Maybe I'm dense (or had too long a weekend)

All Man The Guns??

Cherokee Queen?

Sherlock goes Holme?

P.S. - Very cool that you can come on here and be a part of the community. I saw you play at the Clarence Tributes in Norfolk - thought those were pretty fun evenings.

[quote name='seafordguy' timestamp='1355764594' post='2214265']
Maybe I'm dense (or had too long a weekend)

All Man The Guns??

Cherokee Queen?

Sherlock goes Holme?

P.S. - Very cool that you can come on here and be a part of the community. I saw you play at the Clarence Tributes in Norfolk - thought those were pretty fun evenings.
[/quote]
Steel Mill Songs
Cherokee Queen--Bruce Springsteen Band

[url="http://www.licensetochill.net"]www.licensetochill.net[/url]

[quote name='vinidog' timestamp='1355746021' post='2214202']
When we, Child, were rehearsing in Tinkers surfboard factory. We, Danny, myself and Bruce were all staying at Bruce's house in Freehold. We would drive everyday to Ocean twp. down Rt. 33. Everyday we drove by Ely's Funeral Home and Bruce wrote a song about Going back to Ely's. There we're gonna say our Good by's. I don't think that there are any copies of this song floating around anywhere.
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, Vini. To the best of my knowledge that song hasn't been documented anywhere thus far. Fascinating!

[quote name='Peter' timestamp='1355862862' post='2214778']
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply, Vini. To the best of my knowledge that song hasn't been documented anywhere thus far. Fascinating!
[/quote]

Ely's is still there! [url="http://www.elyfuneralhome.com/fh/home/home.cfm?fh_id=11178"]http://www.elyfuneralhome.com/fh/home/home.cfm?fh_id=11178[/url]
1 person likes this

[quote name='freeholdnj' timestamp='1355863143' post='2214783']
[quote name='Peter' timestamp='1355862862' post='2214778']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ely's is still there! [url="http://www.elyfuneralhome.com/fh/home/home.cfm?fh_id=11178"]http://www.elyfunera...cfm?fh_id=11178[/url]
[/quote]
Yep, There it is.

Hi Vini, thanks for providing all the info you have done. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them?

When Steel Mill were offered a record deal were you at the time dissapointed that your then manager turned it down?

Do you think Bruce will ever delve into the old Steel Mill material in the future?

On the occasions you see and play with Bruce do the pair of you talk much about Steel Mill or Steel Mill Retro?

Thanks Vini and try and come to the UK with Retro soon, would love to come and see you!

[quote name='Sal's Grocery' timestamp='1355930774' post='2215072']
Hi Vini, thanks for providing all the info you have done. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind answering them?

When Steel Mill were offered a record deal were you at the time dissapointed that your then manager turned it down?

Do you think Bruce will ever delve into the old Steel Mill material in the future?

On the occasions you see and play with Bruce do the pair of you talk much about Steel Mill or Steel Mill Retro?

Thanks Vini and try and come to the UK with Retro soon, would love to come and see you!
[/quote]

Tinker was looking out for us. Johnny Winter was just signed to a label for $300,000.00. We were offered $1000. Big Difference. And they wanted all of Bruce's publishing. NO DEAL there.

Maybe one day when the time is right. I think they have tried. There is a certain energy in Steel Mill songs that you have to want to do.

Sometimes he will ask about Steel Mill. He just wants to know what I am doing. He told me that he will never go back.

Thanks for answering my questions vini, top man!

Strangely enough I read this thread today when most of yesterday was spent listening to Steel Mill shows! TRUE!
One of my all time favorite Bruce tracks HAS to be 'The Wind And The Rain'.

Just the sheer guitar work, breakdowns, build ups, intensity and subtleness (sic) are brilliant.
I hear things in that song that appeared way down the track in Bruce's career.
Things like the build up and searing guitar work reminiscent of Candy's Room. Just pure genius.

How did this particular song feel to play Vinni?
My old band used to do a cover of this.
Nobody knew what it was, not even the band ! I taught it to them and they thought I wrote it !!!
Many MANY weeks later I confessed and they were all so surprised.
Used to get an awesome reaction at live shows too.

Anyway, just my little take on one of Bruce's (and Vinni's) finest moments.

Jake

Listened to you on the Bruce Brunch last week, great stories.
Loved the bit about when Bruce gave to the cue to join in on drums and you'd already started..class.

Golf story was great as well, do you play ? Betcha could give that ball a canny good belt B)

[quote name='newcastle roy' timestamp='1356031754' post='2215671']
Loved the bit about when Bruce gave to the cue to join in on drums and you'd already started..class.

Golf story was great as well, do you play ? Betcha could give that ball a canny good belt B)
[/quote]
Thanks Roy, Its always fun with TC and his Brunch. He brings the stories out of me.
I don't hit it long enough to get in any trouble. So I get decent scores. I didn't play alot this year due to the accident that I had last Jan. This year comming up, I plan to practice and play more Golf.
:D ;)

[quote name='vinidog' timestamp='1356099140' post='2215870']
[quote name='newcastle roy' timestamp='1356031754' post='2215671']

[/quote]
Thanks Roy, Its always fun with TC and his Brunch. He brings the stories out of me.
I don't hit it long enough to get in any trouble. So I get decent scores. I didn't play alot this year due to the accident that I had last Jan. This year comming up, I plan to practice and play more Golf.
:D ;)
[/quote]

Nice one Vini, cheers B)