• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BrotherBridges

BrotherBridges

• Members
  • 4,416 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1975

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

Not even a thread here about this story? Something tells me, if we had a Republican administration, not only would there be a thread, but we would be calling for trials and resignations of those responsible, right up to the top. I'd bet the media would be making a much bigger deal about it, too!

#2 JustDan

JustDan

• Members
  • 14,679 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:The time I used to have hair on my head

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

I've learned that....in terms of foreign policy, there are no Dems & GOPers anymore. Particularly it now seems, with the past two administrations.

The way I see it, here's the deal.....They spy on us [& dont think they dont], we spy on them. That's how the game of international diplomacy is currently played & will probably continue to be played for some time to come.

#3 Cozmic Kid

Cozmic Kid

• Members
  • 41,061 posts
  • Facebook:Brian.N.Frandsen
  • Springsteen fan since?:1984

Posted 30 October 2013 - 02:59 PM

Not even a thread here about this story? Something tells me, if we had a Republican administration, not only would there be a thread, but we would be calling for trials and resignations of those responsible, right up to the top. I'd bet the media would be making a much bigger deal about it, too!

I commented on it a while back.

It's a fucking dosgrace and heads must roll.

gangster_zpsf28fe1c2.jpg

SHOWS

#4 LostSoul

LostSoul

• Members
  • 1,924 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 03:15 PM

I think we've all seen enough Spooks, James Bond, Tom Clancy films for this not to be a surprise really.

#5 HeroOfVirtue

HeroOfVirtue

• Members
  • 13,187 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:2007

Posted 30 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

Oh my freaking Christ, why try to make everything a political party issue? What good does that do?

Dan's got it: "in terms of foreign policy, there are no Dems & GOPers anymore." Just one wretched blob of villainous idiocy.

We know that come tomorrow, none of this will be here

So hold tight to your anger, hold tight to your anger
Hold tight to your anger, and don't fall to your fear

Take your best shot, let me see what you've got, bring on your wrecking ball.

My City of Ruins: Bruce Springsteen and the American Reaction to Disaster

#6 the calvary

the calvary

• Members
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:24 PM

I think BB's point about there being a very different response because it's not the Rep's doing it is right. It's not so much a party political issue, more an issue of how the political system really works, and you see it working very well here.
Where the men in their Mercedes
Come nightly to employ
In the cool San Diego evening
The services of the border boys

#7 Tom-Joad

Tom-Joad

• Members
  • 2,922 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:I was 8.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:59 PM

I just wonder how the US would react if the German or French intellegence agency was spying on the President...

"We were gonna take it all and throw it all away."

#8 the calvary

the calvary

• Members
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

They possibly are. Spying is done secretly, so by its nature, no one is really sure who's doing what to whom. And from what I've read today, it's possible that EU countries passed some if the info to the US.
Where the men in their Mercedes
Come nightly to employ
In the cool San Diego evening
The services of the border boys

#9 HeroOfVirtue

HeroOfVirtue

• Members
  • 13,187 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:29 PM

I just wonder how the US would react if the German or French intellegence agency was spying on the President...

Well, their assumption is that what they're doing is ok because they figure the rest of the world is spying on America, too. They're probably right. I'd bet everything I own that European nations spy on us. But that doesn't make it right.

#10 RummagingBedouin

RummagingBedouin

• Members
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:03 PM

Don't think it's a particularly good idea but I thought every country did as much spying on others (friendly and non-friendly) as possible.

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction. - Mark Twain

#11 Power13

Power13

• Members
  • 21,922 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:There was hair on my head

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:47 AM

Yes, it is only us big, bad Americans who spy on other countries.

Of course they are spying on us!!

Be good, be kind, be truthful and be free.

Be Good, Hothouse Flowers

#12 Tom-Joad

Tom-Joad

• Members
  • 2,922 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:I was 8.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:25 AM

Yes, it is only us big, bad Americans who spy on other countries.

Of course they are spying on us!!

Yes, they most likely are. What I meant was what would the US do if it came to public that some foreign intelligence agency was spying on Obama. Everyone just assumes every big country spies on every other big country but that's nothing more than an assumption, isn't it?

And no-one said you were "bad" because you spy on other countries. Not everyone hates you. It's just apart from a few outraged people, European institutions took all of this very lightly and I highly doubt it would be taken as lightly if it was the other way around.

"We were gonna take it all and throw it all away."

#13 BillyB

BillyB

• Members
  • 3,123 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:Late 70's

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:46 AM

I get a kick when a story like this hits.  I think the White House is sticking to the 'we didn't know this was going on' defense.  It cracks me up that certain FC contributors have nothing to say about this. At least until a spin can be put on all this that blames the prior administration for the whole mess.

#14 Cozmic Kid

Cozmic Kid

• Members
  • 41,061 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:59 AM

I get a kick when a story like this hits.  I think the White House is sticking to the 'we didn't know this was going on' defense.  It cracks me up that certain FC contributors have nothing to say about this. At least until a spin can be put on all this that blames the prior administration for the whole mess.
The issue is the White House may acrually not know how widespread it is.
The Bush admin "invented" this shit and now it has grown out of proportions and is too big to control properly. They need to cut back on what these agencies can do.

gangster_zpsf28fe1c2.jpg

SHOWS

#15 HeroOfVirtue

HeroOfVirtue

• Members
  • 13,187 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

This seems to be 100% the case. The shit the NSA has been doing has been completely unsupervised and unregulated.

They need to cut back on what these agencies can do.

Exactly. I obviously understand the need for something like the NSA, but honestly short of dismantling that organization and creating something similar but with more regulation from the ground up, I don't see how they right the course. And the people supposedly in charge have either no interest or no power to change this.

#16 Cozmic Kid

Cozmic Kid

• Members
  • 41,061 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:04 PM

This seems to be 100% the case. The shit the NSA has been doing has been completely unsupervised and unregulated.

They need to cut back on what these agencies can do.

Exactly. I obviously understand the need for something like the NSA, but honestly short of dismantling that organization and creating something similar but with more regulation from the ground up, I don't see how they right the course. And the people supposedly in charge have either no interest or no power to change this.

And all because of the panic that followed after 9/11. Bush/Cheney pissed their pants out of fear and came up with panic solutions. Now it pretty much have a life of it's own and has to be stoipped befire it goes REALLY wrong.

In a way you can compare it to Skynet in the Terminator movies.

gangster_zpsf28fe1c2.jpg

SHOWS

#17 Welby

Welby

• Members
  • 13,298 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:1974

Posted 31 October 2013 - 08:46 PM

They possibly are. Spying is done secretly, so by its nature, no one is really sure who's doing what to whom. And from what I've read today, it's possible that EU countries passed some if the info to the US.

Maybe they could locate his jump shot.
Slip Mahoney: I'm a victim of my own verbacity, and I don't even know what that is.

#18 JimCT

JimCT

• Members
  • 5,734 posts
  • Springsteen fan since?:78

Posted 01 November 2013 - 12:38 PM

http://www.bloomberg...ban-on-sex.html

"All countries spy to protect their national interests and none will renounce the practice."

Infinitus est numerus stultorum

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." - Thomas Jefferson

"Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid." - John Wayne

"I do not seek the good of others as a sanction for my right to exist, nor do I recognize the good of others as a justification for their seizure of my property or their destruction of my life."

"The only way some of us exercise our minds is by jumping to conclusions." - Cullen Hightower

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users