Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kevharrison

High Hopes review thread.

179 posts in this topic

A few may have already decided they don't like it, but I'm really looking forward to hearing this.

Me too.

2 people like this

I'm looking forward to hearing as well. That's the first well written review I've read for this album and thanks for posting.

2 people like this

Can't wait!!!

2 people like this

I really look forward to hearing it as everyone - can't love or hate it before that!

Ok, I may love it a bit already...

2 people like this

In stealing a word from another thread, maybe it will give some of us an eargasm.

My new fave word.

2 people like this

A great review, not written by a Rolling Stone critic, is promising.

1 person likes this

Can't wait to hear this. Will skip the title track and the electric Joad but have a feeling the rest of the record will be damn good :)

2 people like this

Skip Joad when it's referred to as a combative folk-assault?

Not moi.

2 people like this

I always thought there were certain songs on TGOTJ that would have been more powerful rocked up a little. The reunion tour versions of Joad and Youngstown confirmed it for me.

I ain't skippin' no electric Joad.

2 people like this

Um, this review could have been written without hearing the album, based on what we already know. Somebody trying to beat a publication deadline?

And, um, I commented on here weeks ago about a 'patchwork quilt' of an album, and a lack of 'narrative.'

Bogus. And I'm calling shenanigans.

:-)

World peace gonna break out, from here on in we're eatin' takeout'

Oh Boy...maybe a new funny song for everyone to hate.

Um, this review could have been written without hearing the album, based on what we already know. Somebody trying to beat a publication deadline?

There are lyrics from several of the unheard songs in the review.

And, um, I commented on here weeks ago about a 'patchwork quilt' of an album, and a lack of 'narrative.'Bogus. And I'm calling shenanigans.:-)

No. He's definitely heard it. Maybe not repeatedly but I guarantee he's heard it.

Many journos will have heard it. They are embargoed depending on release dates of their respective publications. I think it is Jan 6th for daily press.

I'm not so sure. It's all vague. Why not come out with a full on review and tell us how good it is. Or not?

This whole Shore Fire/Sony/JLM attitude to this compilation record is so amateur. And arrogant.

Who is the young gunslinger selling shed loads by stealth? Beyoncé? Rhianna? Whoever, their people are switched on and tuned in. Bruce's children need to have a word.

All the journos who need to hear it have done so. Much of the entertainment industry has closed down now for Xmas. Magazines like Q, Mojo etc need to have reviews in their Jan issue, they can't leave it until after Xmas or miss the deadline. There is no point reviews appearing three weeks after the record s released.

1 person likes this

I agree that all the journos would have heard it by now but that review could have been written by someone who hasn't yet heard it. If I was a casual fan it wouldn't convince me to go out and buy it.

I don't understand the opinion that he hasn't heard the record. He quotes lyrics from a couple of the songs we haven't heard, describes Harry's Place as menacing and brooding, describes Down In The Hole as a shuffle, pretty much says Frankie Fell In Love is an upbeat party song. I'm not arguing whether it's a well-written review or not or whether it's giving you the specific information you want but why do you think he hasn't heard it based on what he wrote?

2 people like this

My logic is that the whole review is padded with filler and apart from the pretty vague descriptions and a few lyrics here and there, there is not much of a review going on. It could be that the writer is awful at his job or just as likely he has 'borrowed' a few bits from someone else and padded the review out.

I worked in the music business for many years (even worked on the TOL, HT and LT releases) so I know which calibre of publications and journos would be trusted enough to get a copy of the album and which calibre of publications and journos would get to 'borrow' bits of a review from one of those who had been given full access.

All I know is that I am greatly looking forward to the album.

1 person likes this

If you read it from back to front and only take the second letter from every word, you end up with a text in a forgotten indian language. Translated to English it means that the album's going to suck. If you skip every other word it's also a suicide note.

3 people like this

The reviews are average, which indicates to me it's even worse as these critics vastly over rate new stuff.

This album will be forgot about by the summer which even Bruce knows as he will have another ready.

They seriously need some better quality control.

This album will be forgot about by the summer which even Bruce knows as he will have another ready.

Why do you think that?

I would not bet too much money on a new album by the summer or even in 2014.

Like another topic from a few weeks ago said:'They say he is writing all the time (and always has one or even two records as work-in-progress), but is he really?'

Of course I hope I'm wrong and that we will get a new and great album in 2014.