Photo

Bruce Played FROGGY for my little boy

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#1 twofacesuk

twofacesuk

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:59 AM

Last night goes down as my best show ever for obvious reasons.
My wife (Carol) and the 3 kids (andrew 18, graeme 15 and LIAM 7) travelled down to sheffield yesterday morning and met up with me and bob (wild billy wales). We made it to the line at 7.30am and were numbers 5 - 10. I knew it was gonna be a very long day for the kids but they had been looking forward to the show for ages and were really excited. Andrew had already seen bruce at crystal palace in 2003 and ever since then the other 2 have been on at me to take them to a show.
As the day passed the Liam was getting more and more excited, and as any 7 year old would do, every 5 minutes he was asking how long was left before we go in. I have to say that every single person in the line was brilliant with my children, especially MO and Tom. Early afternoon and Liam started to take a shine for Ellie (aint a beauty) who suggested that Liam make a sign and gave him the paper and pens to do so. He wanted prove it all night, lol biggrin.gif but we managed to persuade him to put froggy on it instead. That kept him busy for a while and he put it in his pocket ready for the show.
When we eventually got inside the arena, the usual mad rush to the stage took place and we all got frot row just left of centre (again thanks to Mo for helping Liam along the way smile.gif ). The show seemed to start very late 8.30pm?, but when it did start The kids looked amazed.
Liam put his sign up all the way through the river and then took it down again because his silly dad said it was too early ( lol, what do i know).
After jacobs ladder my wife had to take graeme out because he was on the verge of collapsing ( he has got leukemia and did well to last all day) so liam decided to go too, on the understanding that he would just be going out for a little rest and then getting back into the back of the pit to watch the rest of the show. Graeme was too exhausted to go back in the pit and needed to sit down so my wife put them on the spare seats at the back of the arena but some fucking tosser of a security guard told them that they were not allowed to sit there, so because Graeme was unable to stand any longer they had to leave the arena. To be totally honest i think it was for the best anyway because Graemes health is more important than any bruce show. Liam was gutted that he had to leave because although he was tired too, my wife said that he wanted to come back in.
Then after american land bruce asked where the little guy with the sign from the front was and my heart nearly stopped. We were all shouting going crazy and i told him that liam had to go for a rest ( got a text from carol earlier to say that both kids were fast asleep in the car) and so i told bruce that he was sleeping. bruce laughed and said that it must be a school night and that i had to tell him that he played the song for him. I never thought for one minute that i would turn into a shivering wreck at a concert but it happened last night ohmy.gif and when he made all the crowd go quiet at the end because "the little guy is sleeping" i had to wipe away the tears. When everyone was silent i said "thankyou bruce" and he nodded and smiled, then he said "sleep tight or sweet dreams"
I think that because the kids had already left the arena, it made it even more special and it will take me a long time to come down off cloud 9 smile.gif

#2 CM

CM

• Members
  • 10,103 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:03 AM

Great read Jim. Unbelievable experience that would have been.

#3 stacks

stacks

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:24 AM

Brilliant twofaces.

I was in the pit not far from you and i was wondering what was going on when Bruce started a conversation with someone!

I hope you ALL keep on rockin' forever!

When they said sit down i stood up!

24 Shows and counting........

#4 risingaurora

risingaurora

• Members
  • 1,796 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE(CM @ Nov 15 2006, 10:03 AM)  

Magic. well done.

#5 smiler

smiler

• Members
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:46 AM

Glad you all had a great time ( even without me wink.gif ) your text said it was just ok though and you now want a Froggie t-shirt?

#6 twofacesuk

twofacesuk

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:52 AM

QUOTE(risingaurora @ Nov 15 2006, 10:24 AM)  

QUOTE(CM @ Nov 15 2006, 10:03 AM)  

Magic. well done.

lol, i believe i said it was brilliant and yes i do want a froggy tshirt.
liams new nickname is FROGGY. biggrin.gif

#7 Frank

Frank

• Members
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:02 PM

Great to read it! I'm happy for you all!

#8 Telecaster King

Telecaster King

• Members
  • 13,429 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:19 PM

Good stuff Jim!

Keep on rockin

Dave

#9 Antwerp Barefoot Girl

Antwerp Barefoot Girl

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:33 PM

Am I the only one to get tears in my eyes reading this ? What a terrific story. Thanks for sharing.

#10 tracy

tracy

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE(Antwerp Barefoot Girl @ Nov 15 2006, 01:33 PM)  

Am I the only one to get tears in my eyes reading this ? What a terrific story. Thanks for sharing.

No your not the only one to get tears in your eyes i did to and a lump in my throat, what a great read, a story i think we will all remember for a long time. The kids did really well to queue all that time as the weather was awful and it was a long day a shame that they missed all that but a lovely treat for dad.

#11 Bo

Bo

• Members
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:26 PM

I am crying reading it....but then again, I am old.
I miss Rod - and J. Boag´s !
http://foodwinerocknroll.wordpress.com/

#12 pinkcadillac

pinkcadillac

• Members
  • 8,842 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:27 PM

That's so cool Jimmy, thanks for sharing.
IPB Image

#13 Guest_Miami MArk_*

Guest_Miami MArk_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:32 PM

Thast one of the best stories i have read in years. Makes me remember why I became a fan of this guy.

#14 michele

michele

Still the Bestest

• Members
  • 21,863 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE(Antwerp Barefoot Girl @ Nov 15 2006, 06:33 AM)  

Am I the only one to get tears in my eyes reading this ?

nope, me too smile.gif

#15 twofacesuk

twofacesuk

• Members
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:41 PM

QUOTE(Miami MArk @ Nov 15 2006, 12:32 PM)  

Thast one of the best stories i have read in years. Makes me remember why I became a fan of this guy.

me too mate, i was blown away.

#16 Brucified

Brucified

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:57 PM

Awesome story...

#17 Cozmic Kid

Cozmic Kid

• Members
  • 41,393 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:07 PM

Fantrastic story!!

They don't get better than this cool.gif

gangster_zpsf28fe1c2.jpg

SHOWS

#18 mark-w.uk

mark-w.uk

• Members
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:19 PM

The silence in the arena was unbelieveable when he got everyone to sing quietly. i had no idea it was for your little one jim. that is a great, great story. your little boy created a truly unique moment in a bruce springsteen concert. good on yer mate!

Twitter @kingswing72

Join the Mark Wright Facebook music page: http://www.facebook....442160523?ref=s

Mark Wright's Happy Hour radio show on SoundCloud:  https://soundcloud.com/mark-wright-50

#19 PhilYiannitsaros

PhilYiannitsaros

• Members
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(twofacesuk @ Nov 15 2006, 09:59 AM)  

Liam started to take a shine for Ellie (aint a beauty)

Ah we've all been there, she's quite a gal wink.gif

QUOTE(twofacesuk @ Nov 15 2006, 09:59 AM)  

I never thought for one minute that i would turn into a shivering wreck at a concert but it happened last night.

I turned into a shivering wreck just reading this post, my assistant is looking at me funny. Thank you for making my day with this story, couldn't make it to Sheffield but it's great to live vicariously.
Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose

#20 soulsofthedeparted

soulsofthedeparted

• Members
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:36 PM

awesome story
certainly was a special moment last night.

#21 stacks

stacks

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:37 PM

This has to be one of the gretest threads ever to grace the circuit.

I am an emotional wreck today - still high on Bruce and the springsteen fan community is the best.

I was slightly dissapointed after the MEN show back in May. But the Brum and Sheffield shows have just confirmed what i already knew - Bruce is the greatest ever musician, not just for the music but the way he stirs our emotions.

Hang on, one is coming...........

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!

When they said sit down i stood up!

24 Shows and counting........

#22 CmonMrTrouble

CmonMrTrouble

• Admin
  • 23,382 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:44 PM

Jimmy, just an awesome experience, thanks for sharing it with us

Couldn't happen to a better guy/dad

Posted Image “The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.” - Bukowski

#23 downatthereservoir

downatthereservoir

• Members
  • 27,463 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:48 PM

I, too, am all choked up. Wow. My love to you and your family from across the pond.

Bruce does it again. smile.gif

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
“The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it.”

#24 Colorado52

Colorado52

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:17 PM

Just read this over on SPL where someone kindly posted. Had to come here and tell you how wonderful!
Now the man who put you here
He feeds his family in rich dining halls
And apology and forgiveness have no place here at all
At The Wall

#25 Sherry_d

Sherry_d

• Members
  • 8,339 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:25 PM

What a heart warming story - thank you for posting it!

So happy Bruce gave your family such special memories to cherish! smile.gif

And yes, I had tears too!