Bruce Springsteen new cover songs collection: Jackson Browne and the Holmdel connection
A live version of the Maurice Williams R&B classic “Stay” is included on the new “The Live Series, Songs Under Cover Vol. 2” digital release from Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.
The version was recorded live on Sept. 21, 1979, as part of the No Nukes concerts at Madison Square Garden in New York. Jackson Browne is the guest vocalist on the track.
Browne had turned on a new generation to the classic when he recorded it as “The Load-Out" and "Stay” for his smash 1977 live album, “Running on Empty.”
His “Stay” was recorded at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Maryland, but two tracks on the live “Running on Empty,” “The Road” and “You Love the Thunder,” were recorded at the formerly named Garden State Arts Center on the Garden State Parkway in Holmdel on Sept. 6 or 7.
The PNC Bank Arts Center, as it is now called, is located about half a mile from Springsteen's former home off Telegraph Hill Road in Holmdel.
“New Jersey's got something special. There's no denying it.” said Browne previously to the Asbury Park Press. “There's a feeling ... People in New Jersey bring something special of their own to be an audience. Not everyone knows this. You got to understand it.”
Another song on the album, “Nothing but Time,” was recorded on the band's tour bus on the roads of Jersey after the shows.
Springsteen and Brown have performed together 25 times over the years, starting with the ‘79 No Nukes shows, which Browne helped organize. We don't know if Springsteen, who moved to Holmdel in '76, was at home on Sept. 6 or 7, or if he attended the shows. We do know that there were no E Street Band shows on those nights.
(Springsteen and the E Street Band have never performed at the PNC Bank Arts Center, but the Boss and the Seeger Session Band did play two shows there in 2006.)
The Springsteen Holmdel house was where the band worked on the now classic “Darkness on the Edge of Town” and “The River” albums. Footage from the house was used in the docs “The Promise: The Making of Darkness on the Edge of Town” in 2010 and “The Ties That Bind” in 2015.
Another song with a Jackson Browne connection is included on “Songs Under Cover Vol. 2.” “Take It Easy,” performed by the E Street Band on Jan. 19, 2016, at the United Center in Chicago, was a hit for Eagles written by Browne and the Eagles’ Glenn Frey.
The performance was a tribute to Frey, who had passed away the night before at the age of 67.
“The Live Series, Songs Under Cover Vol. 2,” which was released on Friday, March 5, is available via Spotify and Apple Music.
1. “Mountain of Love” (Live at the Tower Theater, Upper Darby, PA on 12/31/1975) –originally performed by Johnny Rivers
2. “Goin’ Back” (Live at the Roxy, West Hollywood, CA on 10/18/1975) – Carole King
3. “Rave On “(Live at The Roxy, West Hollywood, CA on 7/07/1978) – Buddy Holly
4. “Stay” with Jackson Browne (Live at Madison Square Garden, New York on 9/21/1979) – Maurice Williams
5. “Who’ll Stop The Rain” (Live at Wembley Arena, London on 6/05/1981) – Creedence Clearwater Revival
6. “Drift Away” (Live at Brendan Byrne Arena, East Rutherford on 8/20/1984) – Dobie Gray
7. “Love Me Tender” (Live at Joe Louis Arena, Detroit on 3/28/1988) – Elvis Presley
8. “Lonely Teardrops” (Live at Madison Square Garden, New York on 5/23/1988) – Jackie Wilson
9. “Highway 61 Revisited” (Live at the Shrine Auditorium, Los Angeles on 11/16/1990) – Bob Dylan
10. “It's Been A Long Time” (Live at Brendan Byrne Arena, East Rutherford on 6/24/93) – Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes
11.”Then She Kissed Me” (Live at the Scottrade Center, St. Louis, MO on 8/23/08) – The Crystals as “Then He Kissed Me”
12. “Royals” ( Live at Mount Smart Stadium, Auckland, NZ on 3/01/14) – Lorde
13. “Clampdown” (Live at Consol Energy Center, Pittsburgh on 4/22/14) – The Clash
14. “Rebel Rebel” (Live at Consol Energy Center, Pittsburgh on 1/16/16) – David Bowie
15. “Take It Easy” (Live at the United Center, Chicago on 01/19/16) – The Eagles