Greasy Lake Community

'Why-the-Beatles-were-bad'

Promise61

Meh. There have been a few articles akin to this one over the past few years. The bottom line, fan or not, The Beatles were influential in ways that go far beyond music. They also invented the stadium concert, the concept album (or maybe the 2nd, given "Pet Sounds"), and dozens of other bits.

I'm a die hard Beatles fan so I'm biased, but I have had many a discussion over the years with non fans who still admit their importance to musical and cultural history. Some articles attempt to blame them for "ruining" the music business as successive generations bastardized their business concepts and took the heart out of the music.

Bottom line, IMO, they are much bigger than that, like them or not.

[quote name='Born To Walk' timestamp='1297885111' post='2004042']
A pointless waste of internet space!
[/quote]

...Rather embarrassing, id'nt it? The lengths some people will go to try and provoke someone on an internet message board.... :rolleyes:

Final word: People have been trying to discredit the Beatles' contributions to music and culture for over 40 years. There are people in this world to whom the Beatles mean abso-fooking-lutely nothing.... & that is totally fine and acceptable. Like any other art form, what amounts to good music is a matter of individual taste to everyone, but as far as physical evidence of major achievments, the Beatles history and track record speaks for itself.

Now praise the Lord & pass the sauce...

[quote name='JustDan' timestamp='1297887089' post='2004069']
[quote name='Born To Walk' timestamp='1297885111' post='2004042']
A pointless waste of internet space!
[/quote]

...Rather embarrassing, id'nt it? The lengths some people will go to try and provoke someone on an internet message board.... :rolleyes:

Final word: People have been trying to discredit the Beatles' contributions to music and culture for over 40 years. [b]There are people in this world to whom the Beatles mean abso-fooking-lutely nothing.... & that is totally fine and acceptable[/b]. Like any other art form, what amounts to good music is a matter of individual taste to everyone, but as far as physical evidence of major achievments, the Beatles history and track record speaks for itself.

Now praise the Lord & pass the sauce...
[/quote]

Unbelievable.

He makes some really bad arguments in favour of his case.

I'm all for people not liking a certain artist, it's all subjective... but this piece is so poorly written, he should be locked in a room for the rest of his life with only McCartney's frog chorus song on repeat to ease his loneliness.

[quote name='J' timestamp='1297900839' post='2004196']
He makes some really bad arguments in favour of his case.
[/quote]
Yes, he could have just said they were shite and be done with it.

He would still have been right.

[quote]WHEN I was growing up one thing was patently obvious: young people were either this or that. Not a bit of this and some of that. It was black and white with no Grey.

It was whether you were a fan of ‘The Beatles’ or a fan of ‘The Rolling Stones’. It was that simple.[/quote]

Ridiculous. Don't know where the writer of this lived but the peeps I hung out with loved both groups.

[quote]Like so many manufactured pop bands, ‘The Beatles’ were short-lived and essentially cheap-throw-aways[/quote]

Huh! The Beatles were a group for only 7-8 years but they created music that is still being played 45+ years later. McCartney can still sell out MSG.

If you don't like the Beatles music, fine. Bur Jesus, don't be absurd and say they were untalented.

The bit about being a Stones or Beatles fan back then was right enough. People were usually one or the other.

I loved Get Off My Cloud and The Last Time ... but I didn't especially like the band ... I was a BIG Beatles fan.:)

The band members were [still are] friends. The whole us vs them thing was the fans' doing.... & it was horseshit.

[img]http://www.rollingstonesnet.com/images/Mick%26John.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.rollingstonesnet.com/images/Uncut_100apin.jpg[/img]

True, Lennon himself discussed it in interviews over the years. And Keef covers it in his bio. In fact, it was Jagger who attempted to persuade John to get the band back on the road after The Beatles' David Frost spot ("The audiences listen now John, and the gear is so much better than a few years back ('66), last time you and we were out there."). Sadly, Lennon simply shook his head and said "Nah, that's over for us."

The Stones went on the "Gimme Shelter" tour (first time since '66 for a US Tour) and the Beatles sadly headed toward their break up. That rooftop set is such a tease. Can you imagine what they would have done with proper gear in front of a non screeching crowd? Every time I see a Bangladesh clip with George and Ringo sharing a stage (with proper gear and monitors) I think how cool even one proper gig in the "new era" would have been.

I've seen that exchange (at the Bag O'Nails club) recounted in a number of books.

I was/am a fan of both, although I have always believed that the Beatles were far superior -- especially from a purely musical standpoint.

Anyone who says the Beatles suck should be publically flayed, drawn and quartered -- and that's just while we're deciding what should REALLY be done with them.... ;) :lol:

I find it interesting/amusing that some folk think that all teenagers are swayed by what the media churn out ... or that hormones must play a part.

Could it be that some teenagers preferred the cute, clean look of The Beatles to the more Bohemian look of the Stones? Or that they, themselves, perceived The Stones to be a tad on the rough side? :)

I like/liked a lot of the Stones' stuff ... but loved the music The Beatles played.

[quote name='Eileen' timestamp='1298069350' post='2004970']
I find it interesting/amusing that some folk think that all teenagers are swayed by what the media churn out ... or that hormones must play a part.

Could it be that some teenagers preferred the cute, clean look of The Beatles to the more Bohemian look of the Stones? Or that they, themselves, perceived The Stones to be a tad on the rough side? :)

I like/liked a lot of the Stones' stuff ... but loved the music The Beatles played.
[/quote]

I bet you used to go to the Cavern and slobber over Paul ...:D

Archived