Greasy Lake Community

Game of Thrones

On some level I'm not sure I believe that and I'm getting rather weary with the show, honestly. If you think about it we're more or less right now where we ended season one. Since Ned's head fell off, no other Westros shaking move has occurred. Everyone pretty much still has what they had except Dany, and she's too far away to interact with the rest of the canvas. We even got a glimpse of Whitewalkers aaaaannnnnnddddd....nothing came of it. It all seems kind of meandering and ultimately pointless, essentially a soap opera with cool effects, great production values, and nekkid peeps. I dunno. This season is not as rambling as last but I'm losing patience.

Don't even think about reading the books, then.

LOL, TG, my dh says the same thing. He's frustrated with the books, and he's current, with the same complaint.

HoV, I think Robb's goose is cooked as I said earlier. Between his betrayal of his promise and Bun and "we'll go visit your family", it's been telegraphed he's all but dead. But THAT doesn't change anything either. The only thing he sorta but not really had was a burned out hall. Now someone else gets it? Yeah, there's a shift. Oh and he also has a family still scattered to the winds so his death for them would change...nothing, really. The map has to change for the plot to actually move but it just isn't, and it doesn't seem it will. For all the talk about big deaths, don't get attached to any of the characters, blahblahblah, there hasn't been a shocking game changing corpse since Ned.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HoV, I think Robb's goose is cooked as I said earlier. Between his betrayal of his promise and Bun and "we'll go visit your family", it's been telegraphed he's all but dead. But THAT doesn't change anything either. The only thing he sorta but not really had was a burned out hall. Now someone else gets it? Yeah, there's a shift. Oh and he also has a family still scattered to the winds so his death for them would change...nothing, really. The map has to change for the plot to actually move but it just isn't, and it doesn't seem it will. For all the talk about big deaths, don't get attached to any of the characters, blahblahblah, there hasn't been a shocking game changing corpse since Ned.

Don't forget, Robb is winning the war! If he were suddenly removed from the picture and that army falls apart, that's a major change. Not a surprising one, but still a big deal.

The biggest possible upset would be a deposing of the Lannisters and I don't see that happening for a while. If Joffrey and Tywin (and Cersei for good measure) were to meet their maker(s?) in one massive assault, that would be game-changing.

I think the problem is having all these child characters. Bran and Arya would be way more involved if only they were older.

Why is that a big deal? The army simply melts into some other houses' army(ies). Status quo. Everyone else holds what they have. Bran's pretty pointless, paralyzed kid with visions, he's not taking down a house anytime soon. Arya, bless her vengeful little heart, is more of a wild card menace than a force to be reckoned with. Until Dany shows up with her dragons, I think this is just The Tudors in Middle Earth. Which actually I'm cool with but that's not how it was sold, at least not as I understood it, and I'm feeling a little conned right now.

Oh, I thought he read the books.

Nevermind, Hero. My mistake. I'm very sensitive when it comes to this show.

Did I miss something? :lol: I agree with your statement "Even a subpar episode of GoT is better than most things." Thinking back I found Sunday's episode rather boring, but only in comparison to the higher points of the show. I'm always on the edge of my seat when I watch it and there were definitely some exciting elements there. (Also, poor sweet Sansa and poor sweet Arya always tug the heartstrings)

PRR, you're definitely mostly right. I just think Robb's death would essentially spark a war within a war (warception) and that would change things somewhat. Of course this all continues to be speculation based on an event that may not happen (but, I mean, come on). I think new point-of-view characters and new locations might be a remedy. As you said, status quo has been God basically since Ned died. Introducing new material, unless it's cousin Oliver or Scrappy Doo or something, might be that needed shakeup.

Just got to this week's show.....I think part of the problem was that it touched on too many of the stories and therefore had no opportunity to add any semblance of depth to ANY of them.

Here;s a quick scene w/ Robb and nice arse, look here....Theon getting it on....ooops, no he;s not, Arya got nabbed by The Hound, Jon and "his woman", etc. I think every character, minor or major, showed up this week. Too much jumping around.

LOL at warception, HoV. I think the only question for me is exactly how stupid is Robb? Surely he isn't going to walk into Edmure's wedding with whatshername, the piece...sorry, the one twoo wuv...he stood up the bride for? Cuz if so, she and Bun are so dead too.

I think it's kinda slutty to sleep with someone you know is attached.

Yeah, but a committed relationship is a bit different to an arranged marriage for political purposes between two people who haven't even met.

Potato, pot-ah-to. ;) And by taking her to the wedding, I don't just mean the ceremony - she can't be anywhere nearby. She needs to go visit the mom she was writing to. No reason to have your pregnant wife near that event or, also as a matter of practicality, near the war you're waging...I get she's a hottie and all but don't be dumb, Robb. Of course he IS Sansa bro soooo...

Don't worry, the guest right covers this ...

The guest right is a sacred law of hospitality. When a guest, be he common born or noble, eats the food and drinks the drink off a host's table beneath the host's roof, the guest right is invoked. Bread and salt are the traditional provisions.

When invoked, neither the guest can harm his host nor the host harm his guest for the length of the guest's stay. For either to do so would be to break a sacred covenant that is believed to invoke the wrath of the Gods both old and new. Both the teachings of the Old Gods and the Faith of the Seven hold to this. Even robber lords and wreckers are bound by the ancient laws of hospitality.

I think it's kinda slutty to sleep with someone you know is attached. It's also kinda slutty to sleep with someone when you are attached. Changed it... LOL

Oona is real life royalty you know, she's Charlie Chaplin's grandaughter ...

true love, it's a beautiful thing, sometimes misguided, but magical nevertheless ... if they survive this season, I hope Robbie and Tallie can visit beyond the wall and maybe do a hot tub scene with Jonnie and Grittie ... :)

That's part of my problem with them...I know screen time is short, except when we're suffering thru yet another Theon torture scene, but their "romance" was very add-water-and-stir. Aside from their mutual hottiness I never got any sense of what they saw/ see in each other. She in particular is undeveloped as a character on her own. By extension I don't give a rat's patootie about them together, or separately, or Bun. They can all get off my screen so we have more time for other, more interesting stories and people.

Don't worry, the guest right covers this ...

The guest right is a sacred law of hospitality. When a guest, be he common born or noble, eats the food and drinks the drink off a host's table beneath the host's roof, the guest right is invoked. Bread and salt are the traditional provisions.

When invoked, neither the guest can harm his host nor the host harm his guest for the length of the guest's stay. For either to do so would be to break a sacred covenant that is believed to invoke the wrath of the Gods both old and new. Both the teachings of the Old Gods and the Faith of the Seven hold to this. Even robber lords and wreckers are bound by the ancient laws of hospitality.

There ya go! Nothing can possibly go wrong!

That's part of my problem with them...I know screen time is short, except when we're suffering thru yet another Theon torture scene, but their "romance" was very add-water-and-stir. Aside from their mutual hottiness I never got any sense of what they saw/ see in each other. She in particular is undeveloped as a character on her own.

We're getting a hell of a lot more than we got in the books.

the GOT producer Frank Doelger talking about how many seasons the show will last, he's thinking seven which sounds a bit quick, i was thinking 8 to 10 ...

Speaking backstage at the Baftas – where Game of Thrones was also nominated in the International category – Doelger said: “[The number of series] is being discussed as we speak. The third season was the first half of book three, season four will be the second part of book three. George RR Martin has written books four and five; six and seven are pending.

“I would hope that, if we all survive, and if the audience stays with us we’ll probably get through to seven seasons.”

That's part of my problem with them...I know screen time is short, except when we're suffering thru yet another Theon torture scene, but their "romance" was very add-water-and-stir. Aside from their mutual hottiness I never got any sense of what they saw/ see in each other. She in particular is undeveloped as a character on her own. By extension I don't give a rat's patootie about them together, or separately, or Bun. They can all get off my screen so we have more time for other, more interesting stories and people.

So which characters do you find most interesting?

I have a suspicion the tail end of the season will have its fair share of stuff happening. There are lots of stories to keep up with, which I guess means that some of the episodes do end up seeming a little like just a string of unrelated short scenes. But I find many of the characters exciting, even when the plots moves slowly.

Pretty much everyone in the Stark clan except Arya bores me, Magnus. And Stannis, again because he's a cipher much like whatshername. I enjoy pretty much everyone else, even characters I'm not supposed to. Jack Gleeson is kicking ass as Joffrey...the character is profoundly horrid and has essentially no redeeming features whatsoever, but he's definitely not boring.

Archived