That has always been my take on what "winter" is in the 7 Kingdoms....and yer, it is pretty stoopid. But it also explains the malaise with which these people react to the concept..."Yeah, yeah..."Winter is coming". Sure, whatever...been hearing that forever." (FC tangent - feel free to substitute "The worker's revolution" for "winter" :lol:)

And I agree 100% re: fantasy. The best part of this series is the "Game of Thrones", not the "song of ice and fire" (but the dragon this week was pretty fookin' cool. B))

Everything except Dany on Drogon looked wonderful in that sequence. That looked cheesy and green screened plus the expression on Emilia's face didn't really work for me, it was more like she smoked a bowl than relief or wonder or any of the other appropriate responses to having a dragon fly you away from certain death.

On another front, loved me some ISIS Tyrion. And RIP Dany Husband 2.0, we hardly knew ye. Being married to her is a little like being protected by Brienne, you know it's not going to end well.

My girl Arya is far too easily distracted and I suspect that spells trouble for her. A Man knows she's lying.

The Shireen barbeque was telegraphed well in advance but I was still looking for an out right until the horrific screaming. Maybe Davos takes her with him. No. Maybe Stannis backs out. No. Maybe the army refuses to stand by and watch. No. Maybe the dragon scale offers some kind of protection from fire. Ugh, no. Just dreadful. I hope Ramsay Bolton flays the living schitt out of Stannis and his bitches, and that Ramsay is then left quadriplegic after being thrown off the Broken Tower by Reek, who then has is guts ripped out by a suddenly returned Nymeria.

This show really messes with my karma. :lol:

Forgot the meiton the look on Tyrion's face when he first sees the dragon.... "WTF?!? She really does have dragons?!?!"

Which brings up another point....dontcha think he would have asked her about them before this? "Hey, Dany...do you really have dragons? 'Cuz it will make the job a helluva lot easier, if you do. " ;)

• Like 1

Maybe this explains why this series has been a bit flatter this time, the last 2 episodes have a LOT of CGI in them which must have blown the budget/post production time.

Dont explain the writing though - but the shocks are still there I guess.

• Like 1

So far I feel like Season Five has focused on gathering plots and bringing characters together, to streamline the overall story, which isn't a bad thing. But I also feel like the show has lost its way a little, and I'd have to say that this season has been perhaps my least favorite so far. As a book reader, I am biased - since the show is diverging more and more from the books. But I'll also say that in the first three Seasons, the scenes they added that weren't in the books were really interesting and cool, whereas now I'm less often impressed with them. There are more of these new scenes, and they are substantially changing the plot itself. I get that the bok plt is too sprawling to replicate, but some of the shortcuts they have taken have been puzzling at best.

I was not a fan of the Hardhome episode - it was becoming too much like a zombie movie for my tastes. Episode 9 was pretty solid - I am not quite sure whether the thing with Shireen was called for, but it is just yet another event on the list of "very bad things that happen in GoT". It shows just how far Stannis is willing to go, and it will be interesting to see how Davos deals with the news next episode.

I'm not a Dany fan, but was pretty happy with the fight scene in the pit. Nice to see Jorah still kicking, at least for now, and his timely spear toss was one of the most badass moments of the season so far. I was quite sorry to see Hizdahr go - he was an interesting foil for Dany, and I always enjoyed his scenes - they made her story arc more interesting (and he always reminded me a little of Tony Blair for some reason). I can understand that the "good guys" needed to take a casualty in the battle, but I would have preferred if stupid Dario had gone down fighting instead.

The Dorne story arc looks like it is about to wind down without any major deaths, but you never know if there could be a nasty surprise next week. It all seems a little too neat and tidy at this point. I won't be sorry to see the end of the Sand Snakes, they've been some of the worst cast and acting characters for the entire show. I do like Doran though.

As a book reader, there are two major events I expect to happen next episode. One of them has been all but confirmed, but the other would pose logistical problems for Season Six (I'll bring this up next week after the episode, depending on what happens). We'll have to see how that shakes out.

The Dance Of Dragons was a entertaining episode but Shireen's death and the Harpy's attack on Dany were forced to compete for screen time. It seems that Game Of Thrones is more interested lately being known as a "shocking" TV show. I don't know what next week's Season 5 finale has in store, but I sure hope it concentrates less on staging "big" events and more how the events we've already witnessed will affect the overall story in Season 6.

Well there is a big event that happens in Book 5 that hasn't happened yet. Theoretically it should happen next week, but I think it might work better if it happens at the beginning of Season 6 instead, or just doesn't happen at all or happens to someone else instead.

There's another big event that is 99% certain to happen next week.

I don't think you should plan for the season finale to be just a "picking up the pieces and letting the dust settle" kind or hour. I will also say that I thought the Seson Finale to Season Four was outstanding, and it packed in lots of crazy stuff, including some shocking things that didn't happen in the book (Hound vs Brienne).

No hints, please, Magnus...not even "something big/ surprising/ shocking". I don't watch the previews and haven't read the books for a reason (in addition to the review from my dh that they meander :lol: ). The Red and Purple Weddings were semi-spoiled for me by people teasing them, not you but other peeps online.

Greetings, we still have everyone incarcerated at King's Landing to deal with, Arya was set up this week so I think they have to go somewhere with that in the finale, and same with Dany and her peeps - last we saw them they were stuck in the arena, I don't think the show will leave them there until next year. And I don't trust that little schitt Olly so my advice is to Jon is he should sleep with one eye open and have someone taste his food.

I didn't think the arena fight scene was done well. Dany's group was well outmumbered and surrounded yet the Harpy's didn't rush them. Reminded me of fight scenes in movies where the hero is outnumbered by bad guys yet they attack him only one at a time. I'm going to watch it again tomorrow on a better tv. Will skip the fire scene. I loved Tyrion's expression when he saw the dragon. Being an animal person, I also like the expression of affection between Drogon and Dany while he set fire to and ate the Harpys. :)

I thought it was reasonable - they just witnessed Jorah win a battle royale and Dario is pretty well-known for his fighting ability, and I don't think any of the Sons wanted to be the first to die on their blades.

• Like 1

I wanted the dragon to crispy critter all of the fanatics.

• Like 1

I think the fight scene was mostly done well except that some of the angles are weird and the Dany and Missandei somehow should be acting differently. That said, the best part of the whole fight scene is the gladiator fight between Jorah and the five other guys - that gray-haired French looking fellow towards the end was pretty badass and I thought for a while that Jorah was going to die for sure. As soon as Jorah chucks his spear into that first Son of the Harpy it is like the fight changes completely from one genre to another. Realistically I think once Drogon shows up the Harpys should have been quicker to run away or they should have rallied and all tossed their spears at him, rather than it all happening so piecemeal. But it was still much better than it could have been - and better orchestrated than that fight in the alley where Barristan went down. That scene seemed really unrealistic to me.

I'm ready for tonight.

*Spoiler below if you have not read the books*

But I've dreamed up a new fantasy kill. A layer on top of a layer. To wit: Brienne arrives in the nick of time to save Sansa and kill the fuck out of Ramsey. But -- oh, god, NO! -- Ramsey gets the best of Brienne and now both Brienne and Sansa are his captives. But then someone else arrives. Someone who, only if you've read the books, you would know could still do it and would be the perfect one to kill the holy shit out of that sick fuck and get perfect and delicious revenge. Hell, kill Roose Bolton too.

I could be way wrong, but I have a feeling that those who were offended by the Sansa wedding night scene should reeeeeealy not watch tonight's show. Or, um, fans of . . .

Shutting up, shutting up. ;)

Team Stannis died last week. Good lord, wait until Davos finds out.

Anybody like to apply for the Ruler in the North position?

Honestly, I'm not feeling cliffhangered.

So Mel resurrects Jon (and then Davos can kill her) and Dany gets cavalry to go with her infantry. Reek and Sansa land in a snow bank and run away. Maybe Fiance or more likely Bronn has some antidote for Myrcella but I don't really care. Arya's not blind permanently, that being a nearly insurmountable handicap for an assassin.

You really, really have to suck to make me feel bad for Cersei. That was some very brave work by Lena Headley. The Queen Mum is gonna be out for blood next season.

Typical teenager Drogon made me larf.

Ok, a couple of random thoughts about that walk. First, I know they didn't want people to think of Shirley and Company's 1975 hit, but that was the first thing, inappropriate, stupid, and silly, that I thought of. And second, why can't we make Dick Cheney do a walk just like that across the continental U.S.?

• Like 2

Stannis lost his soul, his army, and his life pretty fast, huh? Maybe it was vengeance for Brienne, but it sure was a mercy killing for Stannis. He was like, "just fuckit -- kill my ass."

My fave kill was Arya's on Meryn Trant. Easily.

So Theon snaps out of it at that moment? Really? Uh, ok.

The Crystal Ball reception was a little fuzzy, huh Mel?

You have no clue about how to handle the white walker army coming, Watch. But at least you kilt that traitor Jon. Nice work, fellas. Glad that you guys are thinking about how to protect all of humankind instead of personal animus. I hope the Head White Walker kills all of them.

• Like 1

Stannis lost his soul, his army, and his life pretty fast, huh? Maybe it was vengeance for Brienne, but it sure was a mercy killing for Stannis. He was like, "just fuckit -- kill my ass."

My fave kill was Arya's on Meryn Trant. Easily.

So Theon snaps out of it at that moment? Really? Uh, ok.

The Crystal Ball reception was a little fuzzy, huh Mel?

I'm not sure Stannis is dead. Show isn't shy about gore and we didn't see anything. Pics or it didn't happen. :lol: Plus I want that fucker to suffer more than just mentally. It'll be very unsatisfying if wifey gets by with suicide, Mel is protected by Jon or the nimrods at The Wall, and Stannis is mercy killed.

And I don't know that Reek became Theon then. In my head he's been on the path for awhile and biding his time. While stuff happening to Sansa before now was crappy it wasn't serious enough to risk exposure. He'd have one chance to save her and it presented itself.

The Wall dudes weren't picked for their brains. lol The Wildings won't be pleased at this turn of events.

Jon Snow actor says he's dead. I wouldn't bank on it though. Cercei and The Mountain will make mincemeat of the High Sparrow. The Many Faced God story line is silly. Impression is that they are making stuff up as they go along. There's no logic to it unlike the rest of the show. :)

I'm not sure Stannis is dead.

I agree, and by this logic I'm certain The Hound and Syrio Forel also live on.

If Jon Snow is/stays dead I'll eat a wooden door. There's no way. You can fool some people, GRRM, but you can't fool me.

• Like 2