Greasy Lake Community

Game of Thrones

So many things wrong with this episode. A decade of waiting for that big fight with the Night King. A fucking decade. He's got Bran right where he wants him and he's surrounded by White Walkers and wights, yet somehow Arya gets past them without being noticed or killed and she appears out of nowhere to kill him. And what a shambolic way to defend Winterfell. Sending the Dothraki on a suicide mission, great visual effects for sure but what the hell. And when that first wave of wights hits, a lot of big names are on the front row and they all survive? Jamie, Brienne, Tormund, Sam, Grey Worm etc should have died 10 times. That's not Game of Thrones, that's Hollywood. 

14 hours ago, BillyB said:

I've never seen even a minute of GOT.

But I've heard it's pretty good. I just never was into anything that included flying dragons...but I'm told that's not something I should worry about. 

So...have missed something so good that I should get crackin' on season one asap? 

Despite flying dragons, zombie armies and other elements of fantasy / magic it's fundamentally a drama about people, family, politics and war - something it shares with the best sci fi. It's basically a pseudo medieval drama inspired by stuff that actually happened (e.g. the Wars of the Roses) set within a geography  we would all recognise. 

This video on youtube draws the parallels between GoT and 'real' history. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BillyB said:

But I've heard it's pretty good. I just never was into anything that included flying dragons...but I'm told that's not something I should worry about. 

So...have missed something so good that I should get crackin' on season one asap? 

Billy, if you don't have HBO and don't want to pay for it. You can get up to season 7 at the library. That's what we did. Most people forget all about the library as a source for media.(At least I do)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BillyB said:

It has fantasy elements, but it is largely a complex human drama in a fantasy setting. It feels more like gritty historical show with fantasy elements than LotR or anything like that. It challenges a lot of fantasy tropes - for example, there's a dwarf, but he isn't like you'd expect.

There's lots of character development and complex moral ambiguity. A huge cast is developed, which enables a very high casualty count. Don't get ahead of yourself and get too attached to anyone.

And.... GO!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Billy, if you don't have HBO and don't want to pay for it. You can get up to season 7 at the library. That's what we did. Most people forget all about the library as a source for media.(At least I do)

I swear I am not making this up...fun fact I learned today, you can check out an umbrella at the Rice library. :huh:

Yes, it was fan service and illogical verging on stupid but it was very pretty and fun viewing. The order for fake blood was exceeded only by kerosene. 

On 4/28/2019 at 11:48 PM, JimCT said:

Truthfully, it is excellent work IMO

6 hours ago, Magnus said:

It has fantasy elements, but it is largely a complex human drama in a fantasy setting. It feels more like gritty historical show with fantasy elements than LotR or anything like that. It challenges a lot of fantasy tropes - for example, there's a dwarf, but he isn't like you'd expect.

There's lots of character development and complex moral ambiguity. A huge cast is developed, which enables a very high casualty count. Don't get ahead of yourself and get too attached to anyone.

And.... GO!

10 hours ago, Demos said:

Despite flying dragons, zombie armies and other elements of fantasy / magic it's fundamentally a drama about people, family, politics and war - something it shares with the best sci fi. It's basically a pseudo medieval drama inspired by stuff that actually happened (e.g. the Wars of the Roses) set within a geography  we would all recognise. 

This video on youtube draws the parallels between GoT and 'real' history. 

Thanks for the responses.....I took the plunge and watched episode #1.

It passed the 1st test...which simply means it was good enough for me to watch episode #2. 

So...I guess I'll check back into this thread after I watch another 70 or so hours...and get caught up. Lol

• Like 2

For those who didn't like the episode, bear in mind that the director has said that Episodes 3, 4 and 5 are "a complete piece with a beginning middle and end.”  So we should maybe wait and see how it looks in context.

On 4/30/2019 at 5:49 PM, Perisic said:

Hope so because this was a big disappointment. A good way to fix it is by making Bran the Night King? We'll see. If they abandon the Night King/White Walkers story and just focus on who gets the Iron Throne I'm gonna be pissed.

I have to present an alternative view.I think the whole Night King thread is a load of twaddle invented when the show became Hollywooded, I for one, am glad he has buggered off.This is why

He does not appear in Martins books, he clearly relised the idea was dumb.

The whole night king story has more holes than a dart board-

Why has he waited so long and how have all those Wildings, Thenns, Giants survived beynd the wall so long with a maurauding pack of dead people running round and a Night king who can just raise his arms and BINGO!

The night King controls the dead.... he orders them to make a bridge of bodies across the firey moat so why couldnt he order them to swim or sail or float around the wall years ago, I mean he found 400 feet of heavy duty chain to raise Viserion (bloody ridiculous) so I' m sure he could find afew rafts or boats or even logs to float the dead around the wall...

What the hell is his motive? To wipe out all the living ? If so he has a zillion zombies wandering round (so 21 st century Hollywood) who incidentally are still decaying so by science will ultimaltey become skeletons and then dust..... what then....? He flies round on his fckin dragon admiring his 'empty ' world? Pointless to me.

Viserion was stabbed with the ice spear and his belly almost exploded , implying that the fire is generated from the stomach area..... so why wasnt the fire pissing out of the gaping holes left behind from the injury? All the dead kept their 'death injuries' the night king did not 'heal' any of them.... Hollywood again.

The whole thing stinks of Hollywood with no substance. Yeah blue eyes, zombies, lots of death and destruction.... makes no sense and has very little back story .... sod it ....LETS DO IT PEOPLE KIDS LOVE ZOMBIES AND CLIFFHANGERS THESE DAYS'.

I love Game of Thrones and I am not averse to a few sinister Whites wandering round north of the wall , with locals making sacrifices in the cold night to keep them at bay.... but the Night king army of the dead thing just ruined the whole thing,because quite frankly it was not thought through.

On 4/29/2019 at 6:23 PM, Perisic said:

A decade of waiting for that big fight with the Night King. A fucking decade.

He does not appear until season 4 so technically you ve been waiting 5 years not 10.

I am glad Arya dealt with NK (and it was a cool moment, a whoop whoop hooray for Arya, albeit pure Hollywood ), I think Arya is cool as fuck but lets get back to the meat of the story ...politics, power, relationships, characters ...and Queen bitch Cersei. 

Don't get me wrong I thought the Long Night was a great piece of television even if it lifted loads from Lord of the Rings (Mainly the battle at the Black gate - where Aragorn and co are literally about to be crushed by the forces of mordor until the one ring is destoyed and thus Sauron is destroyed and so is his control over his legions who literally run off at the last second of imminent victory. Oh and the waht do we say to the God of death... not today - is basically a derivative of Aragorn's speech to his army at the black gate..... death, destruction, etc .... NOT THIS DAY) . The charge of the Dothraki made great tv visually  but tactically it was a foolhardy move and Jorah was a bright bloke but he went off with the rest of them into the black without a clue what they were facing....dumb!!!  

Well I feel better thats off my chest now :D

It hadn't even occurred to me that the Night King isn't in the books yet, and I've read them all twice.

All in all, I thought Episode 3 was a bit of a big ugly mess (intentionally ugly, I will grant, but not very viewer friendly). I have reservations with the useless military tactics side of things, but it accomplished some important things plotwise, and handled its arc of drama well. Nice to see Arya coming into her element entirely. Jon and Dany were pretty useless -  can't tell if that was intentional to show them as inexperienced leaders or if they were actually meant to look good, flying around on those stupid dragons. It could have been better but could also have been a lot worse. the show peaked a while back and I don't expect it to finish quite as strong as it was at its best.

I hope that they can now focus on the human drama and have three strong episodes where they face off with Cersei, finish plot arcs, and limit the amount of cringeyness.

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 5:03 AM, BillyB said:

I know there are rabid fans for most shows...but some of the GOT fans look at me like I'm an alien being when I say that I've never seen it....I guess sort of how I look at someone when they say they never watched The Soprano's....lol.

GoT is  Premier League but whereas Sopranos is Manchester City, GoT is probably a Spurs.... brilliant at times but frustaratingly can let you down at other times!:ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

GoT is  Premier League but whereas Sopranos is Manchester City, GoT is probably a Spurs.... brilliant at times but frustaratingly can let you down at other times!:ph34r:

I don't know what any of that means....

B)

1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

5 minutes ago, BillyB said:

I don't know what any of that means....

B)

Billy, The Sorpranos is The Yankees and GoT's is like the Mets. :D

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy James said:

Billy, The Sorpranos is The Yankees and GoT's is like the Mets. :D

Being a Met fan...and someone who considered the Sopranos one of the top ten shows ever....I think I might be offended by your comment.

:lol:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

PS ohand why didnt any of the dead rise from the crypt at Winterfell??? :P

They did .... some of them broke out of the tombs.  Which is remarkable considering that the wight that was captured was unable to break out of a wooden crate!  I was half-expecting to see Rickon, with Sansa having to kill him again :o but they didn't do that.

Anyway I'm willing to overlook the odd misstep.  Many people who are bitching about it online seem to have missed an awful lot of what has gone on throughout the series, failed to make the connections or not understood it properly.  And I suspect people are pissed off that things didn't go the way they thought they ought to go.  These will be the same people who complain about stuff they dismiss as "fan service".  I have no expectations, I never watch previews and trailers, I want the surprises that go along with being told a story.

I was a bit overwhelmed on first viewing and it was difficult to make out everything. But I watched again in a completely dark room with the backlight turned up, and it was visually better, and second time round I thought it was fabulous.

I thought it was better on second viewing as well. Still silly but easier to follow and oddly didn’t seem as dark. Still bothered me that Dany was so damn clean at the end other than an artful cheek smudge. :lol:

I am not a Book Walker so I have no idea if the NK is present or not however the show runners had the broad outlines and permission to run with what slow ass Martin hadn’t managed to write because he’s too busy doing Comic Cons and late shows. I think it’s easy enough to fanwank that the NK is a part that wasn’t gotten to yet. 

• Like 1