Greasy Lake Community

Game of Thrones

17 hours ago, BillyB said:

I don't know what any of that means....

B)

Well from a book point of view, I think of Tolkien as Dylan and G.R.R. Martin as Springsteen.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

:D Hmmm not heard that term before but there is plenty of that going on with all those stupid predictions on tinternet

I've been trying to avoid the predictions, but was heartened to read that Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran) says that out of all the predictions he's read of how it ends, not one has got it right.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PrettyRedRose said:

I thought it was better on second viewing as well. Still silly but easier to follow and oddly didn’t seem as dark. Still bothered me that Dany was so damn clean at the end other than an artful cheek smudge. :lol:

I am not a Book Walker so I have no idea if the NK is present or not however the show runners had the broad outlines and permission to run with what slow ass Martin hadn’t managed to write because he’s too busy doing Comic Cons and late shows. I think it’s easy enough to fanwank that the NK is a part that wasn’t gotten to yet. 

Yes, that's quite feasible.  There are the Others aka White Walkers, so not much of a stretch that they have a leader.

One little disappointment was the business of Melisandre's magic ruby necklace.  There was a scene way back where she was taking a bath and she wasn't wearing the necklace.  So of course when we got the reveal in 'The Red Woman' people were screaming "Plothole!"  Now I thought that could be explained because she had all those potions, which she actually mentioned to Selyse during the bath scene, and we saw them again during the retiring scene in TRW.  So I thought the glamour must be coming from the potion rather than the necklace.  But then they made a thing of her dropping the necklace when she went out to die.  Ah well, maybe it was a bit of both.  Wish I had some

1 hour ago, JimCT said:

Rewatching it using a recommendation from the Internet - completely dark room, upped the backlit setting on the TV. Much better. 

That's what I did.  Probably helped that there would have been fewer people watching it after the first day, too. 
The problem seems to be that it has to be so compressed for streaming.  It will look a lot better on blu ray.

12 hours ago, Rizla said:

I've been trying to avoid the predictions, but was heartened to read that Isaac Hempstead Wright (Bran) says that out of all the predictions he's read of how it ends, not one has got it right.

I agree, although I did see one review video of season 8 ep 3 which was quite good, it basically claimed that the show has moved, in seasons 7 and 8 into investing more into short term emotional reactive tv rather than actually following the logical plot and character arcs, thus losing much of the integrity of the show, and and looking back on the show in years to come this will be damaging to the legacy of the show.I must say I can understand this point of view.

Episode 4 thoughts?  the episode was not as dull as I thought it may be, nicely set up for the battle next week,  don't know Why cersei did not take her opportunity to wipe out Daenerys, and Drogon..... she's never had any morals so she could have gone a long way to dealing with the threat.

The opening didn't do much for me - I liked the funeral, but the celebrations afterwards somehow didn't quite feel right. I really think this was an episode that would have worked better as two separate ones.

I was surprised Cersei didn't have Tyrion shot by her archers when she had the chance. Bronn showing up all a sudden earlier also had me on the edge of my seat.

I'm not a fan of Dany, and she's not doing anything to change my mind. She's far more like Cersei than she'd like to think.

It is interesting to me that Arya, Sandor, and Jaime are all heading south - but separately from the main army. 

This show keeps getting worse and worse. 

One of the writers said this, I shit you not:

"Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet and Euron's forces, they certainly haven't forgotten about her"

Emo pirate hides his fleet behind a rock, nobody spots him, not even Dany who is in the air. On a fucking dragon.

She kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet. Are you fucking kidding me.

Not to mention the Bronn scene, Jamie x Brienne (lol), Cersei that doesn't end the war by killing Tyrion and Dany and the last dragon when they have no chance whatsoever (what are they even doing there?). Cersei blew the Sept to bits and sends Bronn to kill Jamie and Tyrion but she does fuck all when they're right in front of her? Give me a break.

Also: Arya. Nobody even thinks about sending her to Kings Landing so they can kill Cersei without burning innocent people alive? She's literally in the same room when they're making plans. 

Terrible writing. This show is fucked.

End rant.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Perisic said:

Cersei blew the Sept to bits and sends Bronn to kill Jamie and Tyrion but she does fuck all when they're right in front of her? Give me a break.

Completely agree. Big fk up, she's got 12 scorpion arrows locked and loaded and Drogon is sitting there scratching its balls (well presumably!:D)...... and that pathetic little group of Unsullied?

"Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet and Euron's forces, they certainly haven't forgotten about her"

That was terrible, I will watch it to the conclusion but I agree its lost the plot. Could not understand how a fleet can hide behind a rock, and no one sees them .....wheres Bran when you need him ..... 'Living in the past' :D...in fact what is the point of Bran couldhave done with a few ravens checking all is well?????..... And wheres Yara and the Iron Born?

Also: Arya. Nobody even thinks about sending her to Kings Landing so they can kill Cersei without burning innocent people alive? She's literally in the same room when they're making plans. 

Sending a hit squad in there would probably be a good move, not sure if they know the full extent of Arya's skills..... 

Overall the show, like I have said before has lost its logic in favour of highly charged emotional moments.... Hollywooded!!!

Good writing: Arya crying and throwing rocks at Nymeria to save her by giving her up.

Bad writing:  Jon giving his wolf to a stranger to take to a strange land instead of leaving the it at Winterfell with his sister (who had her own direwolf killed) and then not even petting the animal goodbye.  Fuck off, show.

It really is just damn stupid at this point.  When Cersei was leaning over her shoulder on the edge of the wall telling her to say her last words, I wanted Messandei say, "I'm taking you with me, bitch", grab her ,and jump.  THAT would have been unexpected and awesome and would just have left sorting things with the remains of the KL forces and between Jon and Dany for the final two episodes.

And you aren't going to get me to think Dany is mad, show.  She's pissed off and scared and isolated and all of that makes sense - she's not crazy.

I will say I laughed more during this episode than any for awhile.  Tormund, Bronn, Tyrion inventing Never Have I Ever...all quite humorous.

23 hours ago, PrettyRedRose said:

Bad writing:  Jon giving his wolf to a stranger to take to a strange land instead of leaving the it at Winterfell with his sister (who had her own direwolf killed) and then not even petting the animal goodbye.  Fuck off, show.

It's not a strange land to him.  Ghost has already spent a long time wandering about alone North of the Wall.  He has never been as attached to Jon as the other direwolves were to their Starks.

Yes, it would have been nice to see Jon touch him, but it's been explained that there are multiple difficulties realising the direwolves.  It's not just the cost, but also time, as animating fur to look and move realistically is very time-consuming.  Earlier on, when the show direwolves were younger and smaller, they were able to work with dogs. 

Here are some recent comments

visual-effects supervisor Joe Bauer:

in addition to budgetary concerns, the show has sidestepped the wolves because it can be difficult to make supersized wolves look natural and non-cartoonish: “The direwolves are tough, because you don’t want to get them wrong. So we end up always shooting real wolves and doing a scaling trick with them. But the real wolves only behave in certain ways. I think that has something to do with why the direwolves are in the show, but they’re not maybe as integral as they are in the books.” Basically, this has been the Thrones approach to direwolves for the past few seasons.

Series show-runners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff have said something similar in the past about the challenges of direwolf filming: “We did some testing, and at a certain point they look unreal. We reached a nice balance with them. And frankly, no matter how much money you spend on C.G. wolves—and we’ve seen the best that’s out there, state of the art, and some of it looks great—it still doesn’t look, move, and feel like a real animal. With dragons, you get some leeway. You can’t say, ‘Well, that doesn’t look like a real dragon.’”

Episode 5  ...... forget all the logic and the plot lines...it was great entertainment.....

image.jpeg.92e5b269ef5957ed93f100b82b38e53c.jpeg

:D

....But I want to know do dragons have to fill up at a petrol station?

Talk about scorched earth! Daenerys reminded me of the US government approach in Vietnam!!!! 

But I think that's exactly it. Dany's entire story arc since maybe Season 2 represents to me US foreign policy:

Misguided attempts at bringing civilization and freedom to other cultures we don't understand very well, getting mired in nationbuilding with a military that is designed for fighting conventional war, and responding with overwhelming and excessive force in ways that target civilian populations. Ignoring the advice of advisors/allies urging caution and self restraint, feeling self righteous in punitive violence.

Who will take her out next episode? Jon? Arya? Sansa? Or will she win the Iron Throne as her many supporters have wanted all along?

• Like 2

I've always thought that Cleganebowl was unnecessary but it was predictable enough how it ended. However the ways that Arya and Qyburn factored in were surprising and satisfying.

I was very surprised by what happened with Cersei and Jaimie. It isn't what I expected or wanted, but it was an ending I can respect - at least as far as his arc is concerned.

• Like 2

Some one has got to take Daenerys out, but that means taking Greyworm and the unsullied and Dothraki out, whihc would be tough, and there will be no more battles in the series I dont think so God knows how it will end. Bran has to do more, Hodor's mum will be gutted otherwise, ' Hodor held that fuckin door for you and all you do is stare at people!' 

Overall though I think the show although entertaining has gone to shit , plot and character wise.

On 5/14/2019 at 1:36 PM, Thunder Roadie said:

Some one has got to take Daenerys out, but that means taking Greyworm and the unsullied and Dothraki out

Varys was on the right track with the poisoning attempt.  Unlucky. 
But maybe little Martha will still get the job done!  :D

• Like 1