Greasy Lake Community

The Official Newcastle United Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rafa gone, I'm gutted. Best manager we've had for yonks and the fat cockney bastard in charge has forced him out. 

I was never away Andrew, i just didn't have the heart to post on this happy site when i was so sad. I did read all about you seeing that Bruce fella, i loved it mate. Newcastle are indeed st

Newcastle United finished the season as Champions of the Championship after a memorable afternoon at St. James' Park, chalking up their 100th league and cup goal in the process. Fittingly it was Dw

Posted Images

It's now 12 years since mike ashley took over NUFC

Here's a few stats...

£76m Inherited debt

£111m Current debt

£35m Debt growth

£0 Sports Direct payment for advertising

£9.8 NUFC paid Sports Direct in 6 years to June 2018

£375m Spent on players since 2007

£322m Recouped selling players since 2007

£53m Net spend on players since 2007

£4.4m Average annual net spend

£100.5m Increase in annual media income

£31m Increase in annual wages paid

3 Top half finishes (ED: Only one in top nine)

9 Finishes outside top half

2 Relegations

5 Players sold for over £15m

1 Players signed for over £15m

1 Training ground renovations announced (2013)

0 Training ground renovations started

27 3rd round cup games

11 4th round cup games

2 5th round cup games

On this day in 1984 Kevin Keegan played his last game for Newcastle United in a friendly v Liverpool, with a helicopter landing on the pitch to take him away ( we never thought he'd come back B) )

Anyway here's a picture...can you spot a familiar face to the right of Keegan ? 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

is it april 1st ???

BsPY9Wjm?format=jpg&name=600x314

Well seems like this really is a thing Roy.  It will take a bit of time to get cash into the club but maybe by the Jan window you can look forward to big changes.  I'm happy for you. 

7 hours ago, Patched Tube said:

Well seems like this really is a thing Roy.  It will take a bit of time to get cash into the club but maybe by the Jan window you can look forward to big changes.  I'm happy for you. 

nah, nowt like the real thing at the moment. I don't trust ashley. we've been here before.

41 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

nah, nowt like the real thing at the moment. I don't trust ashley. we've been here before.

I understand your skepticism.  That said and FWIW this seems to have gone further along in the process.  Seems a loot of the football press are treating this as pretty much a done deal.  I hope so.  <Insert vulgar Mike Ashley insult of your choice here>

5 minutes ago, Patched Tube said:

I understand your skepticism.  That said and FWIW this seems to have gone further along in the process.  Seems a loot of the football press are treating this as pretty much a done deal.  I hope so.  <Insert vulgar Mike Ashley insult of your choice here>

D1C34674-0C2A-4818-AF3F-E8DE9BB6E55E.thu

This was on my Man City Fan board this morning. 

Dear Newcastle United fans,

Welcome to the oil money family. Now you’ll see how annoying it is to have a ton of money, to be successful and as a result of it - be labelled as “Arab Money” or “Oil Money”. Other clubs are just jealous.

Sincerely, a family member of oil money.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2019 at 7:42 AM, newcastle roy said:

Rafa gone, I'm gutted. Best manager we've had for yonks and the fat cockney bastard in charge has forced him out. 

I'm sad for you and your team, Roy. Bad owners are a pox on good fans.

• Like 1

Alan Shearer as usual nails it...

"It is desperately sad news and a massive blow - and it is ridiculous it has to come to this. Newcastle were fortunate enough to have a world-class manager who was doing a very good job, and they have just allowed him to walk away for nothing. It is a shambles and a travesty. It doesn’t make any sense."

"From the reaction on social media, you can see how angry the fanbase is, but they will not blame Rafa for leaving and neither do I," Shearer adds.

"He has been brilliant but he has completely lost trust in those he is working for, which is not the first time that has happened at Newcastle under owner Mike Ashley.

"Such has been the breakdown in their relationship, I am told Rafa did not even know Newcastle were putting the statement out yesterday. Rafa and the Toon Army deserve better than that.

"You will see the propaganda come out from Newcastle in the next few days - 'We offered him this and that', 'we said he could have so many millions to spend'. But as fans we know the truth. It has happened too many times at the club.

"By appointing a manager of the calibre of Rafa Benitez , it was the chance for Mike to say: 'Whatever has gone on in the past, we are going to move forward with him and we will do everything we can to keep him.' Instead, it is the same old story and Newcastle are back to square one."

After Benitez failed to keep Newcastle up in 2015/16, the 59-year-old stayed following relegation and took United back to the top flight as second-tier champions, before keeping the Magpies in the Premier League on a modest budget in successive seasons.

Shearer stresses that Benitez's ability as a manager meant he was worth "10 to 15 points a season" to United - and therefore Newcastle would never have been in danger of relegation with him at the helm.

Now the Magpies legend "fears the worst" for what is to follow, particularly seeing as Newcastle appointed a manager who strove for success and constant self-improvement, while Shearer believes Ashley is merely content with survival.

"Rafa did a top job there under very difficult circumstances," Shearer continues, as he analyses 'world-class manager' Benitez's three-and-a-half years on Tyneside.

"Despite his proven pedigree, he was happy to drop down to the Championship. And he got Newcastle up at the first attempt, then finished 10th and 13th in the Premier League on a limited budget.

"Rafa united the fans and gave them belief, which they had not had for a long time. He passionately cared for the club and the supporters but, above all, he knew the potential Newcastle carried.

"I know Rafa can be political but the man delivers. All he wanted was what was best for the club.

"Most managers have issues with whoever they have to answer to, but you have to have some sort of rapport with someone at the club who shares your ambition.

"All Mike Ashley wants is for Newcastle to survive but Rafa is bigger and better than that. He doesn’t want to be fighting a relegation battle every year, he wants to take a team forward.

"Aston Villa have just been promoted and they have come in straightaway and smashed their transfer record on a £22million striker.

"That is what Rafa was up against. For Newcastle, he was probably worth 10 to 15 points a season. With him in charge, there was no way they would have been relegated. Now, you have to fear the worst."

• Like 2
On 6/24/2019 at 7:42 AM, newcastle roy said:

If you want a silver lining, at least Maureen doesn't want the job under Ashley - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7181187/Jose-Mourinho-rules-Newcastle-job-talks-role.html

8 hours ago, JimCT said:

If you want a silver lining, at least Maureen doesn't want the job under Ashley - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7181187/Jose-Mourinho-rules-Newcastle-job-talks-role.html

Mourinho has clearly not done his homework....7th or 6th is not what the FCB wants, it's 4th bottom every season and  £100 million in his greedy hands to buy some other business and put their staff on zero hour contracts and min wage... I hate the fucker with a passion.