Greasy Lake Community

The Official Newcastle United Thread

14 minutes ago, thomam said:

Aw c'min, you must have loved the centre half lobbing Schmeichel

Just watched the goals again ... that was a corker to be sure. Great stuff! What a team!

• Like 1

It'll be interesting to see how the club develops over the next, say, five years. It'll take some time for any real impact but there'll be no excuses for not pushing for a European place by then. Not long after that, they should be Champions League regulars.

I expect that Steve Bruce won't be bothering to buy a new Christmas jumper for the staff party!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doesthisbusstop said:

The new owners are 13 times richer than Man City’s owners. It took City four seasons to win the PL following their 2008 takeover. Might take Newcastle a bit longer, but it will happen eventually. 

I think we'll focus on staying up first, then take it from there...

• Like 1

A strong NUFC is good for the game, and their supporters create one of the best atmospheres in english football, they should be on the up now and worrying about top 4 rather that bottom 4...I just wish Roy was around to share it with us.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

A strong NUFC is good for the game, and their supporters create one of the best atmospheres in english football, they should be on the up now and worrying about top 4 rather that bottom 4...I just wish Roy was around to share it with us.

Yes, I wonder what he thinks, we really miss him.

• Like 3

Will be interesting to see what league position Newcastle are in come late December and how that impacts on the January transfer window.

Plenty of clubs will be rubbing their hands knowing that the asking price for their fringe players has just sky rocketed as soon as Newcastle make an enquiry. £100M for Anthony Martial would be very nice :D..

6 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Agreed. And it will be an issue for others too. The Tyneside wind chill factor is something no money can eradicate. :ph34r:

What wind chill factor?

7 minutes ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Agreed. And it will be an issue for others too. The Tyneside wind chill factor is something no money can eradicate. :ph34r:

Nah, the big-money signings could be like Michael Owen and helicopter in each day from the semi-tropical splendour of...err...Cheshire.

On 10/7/2021 at 2:35 PM, bdw said:

It'll be interesting to see how the club develops over the next, say, five years. It'll take some time for any real impact but there'll be no excuses for not pushing for a European place by then. Not long after that, they should be Champions League regulars.

I expect that Steve Bruce won't be bothering to buy a new Christmas jumper for the staff party!

What will be interesting will be the January transfer window.  Barring some semi-miraculous turn around in the league table you'd have to expect the new owners to fire Bruce and try to pick up some players in the window and then its all hands to the pumps to keep the team up.  Be a hell of a thing to buy a PL club just to watch it go down 7 months later.  

19 hours ago, Patched Tube said:

What will be interesting will be the January transfer window.  Barring some semi-miraculous turn around in the league table you'd have to expect the new owners to fire Bruce and try to pick up some players in the window and then its all hands to the pumps to keep the team up.  Be a hell of a thing to buy a PL club just to watch it go down 7 months later.  

That's the thing,it's ok fans thinking that there's going to be some amazing signings now they've got the money but the first thing is to actually keep them in the PL then if they do that it's going to take a couple of seasons of steady advancement before they can think of anything else.

It's not like they've bought a club like Everton,Spurs or Arsenal that are top 10 PL clubs they've bought a club that has been generally been in the bottom half of the table & even in the Championship over the last few years so fixing that isn't an overnight job however much money you throw at it.

On 10/10/2021 at 3:43 AM, High As Hope said:

That's the thing,it's ok fans thinking that there's going to be some amazing signings now they've got the money but the first thing is to actually keep them in the PL then if they do that it's going to take a couple of seasons of steady advancement before they can think of anything else.

It's not like they've bought a club like Everton,Spurs or Arsenal that are top 10 PL clubs they've bought a club that has been generally been in the bottom half of the table & even in the Championship over the last few years so fixing that isn't an overnight job however much money you throw at it.

Right now, IMO, they some good signings; quality, steady players that will keep them up and give something to build on.  Amazing can come a couple of years down the road.  

Steve Bruce: Newcastle sack head coach following club's £305m takeover by Saudi-led consortium

Steve Bruce considering retirement as he leaves Newcastle 13 days after the club's takeover by a Saudi-led consortium; former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca is a contender to replace Bruce and is expected to hold talks with Newcastle this week; Graeme Jones will take charge on an interim basis

26 minutes ago, DarknessandHope said:

Steve Bruce: Newcastle sack head coach following club's £305m takeover by Saudi-led consortium

Steve Bruce considering retirement as he leaves Newcastle 13 days after the club's takeover by a Saudi-led consortium; former Roma boss Paulo Fonseca is a contender to replace Bruce and is expected to hold talks with Newcastle this week; Graeme Jones will take charge on an interim basis

I'm glad for his sake this happened sooner rather than later.  

2 hours ago, Patched Tube said:

I'm glad for his sake this happened sooner rather than later.  

I wouldn't feel too sorry for Steve Bruce, who leaves Newcastle with (reportedly) a £7m payoff.  Worth remembering also that when it suited him to do so during his managerial career, Bruce has walked out of jobs at Sheffield United, Huddersfield, Wigan, Crystal Palace, Birmingham and finally (in order to take up the job at Newcastle), Sheffield Wednesday.

1 hour ago, Archie Hunter said:

I wouldn't feel too sorry for Steve Bruce, who leaves Newcastle with (reportedly) a £7m payoff.  Worth remembering also that when it suited him to do so during his managerial career, Bruce has walked out of jobs at Sheffield United, Huddersfield, Wigan, Crystal Palace, Birmingham and finally (in order to take up the job at Newcastle), Sheffield Wednesday.

So if he walked out of those jobs, he must have been just sacked at Hull and Villa, No?