Greasy Lake Community

The Official Newcastle United Thread

2 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

"games running out "  is the best thing you said

It's so true. Everyone remembers the famous Sir Alex "squeaky bum" phrase but the most important thing he said in title run ins was just keep ahead and the chasing team will run out of games. 

16 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

Yeah accumulator, normally out after a treble upwards.  I'm waiting for saints and Bournemouth for a goals galore treble..Looking bleak

There's few greater simple pleasures in life than, on a Saturday p.m. if you're nae at a match, putting a couple lines on and sitting watching Soccer Saturday.

It's amazing, with me anyway, seeing how many favourable scores come in in games that I "looked at" but didnae touch, while my lines go down the cludgie.

5 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

It's amazing, with me anyway, seeing how many favourable scores come in in games that I "looked at" but didnae touch, while my lines go down the cludgie.

Case in point.

Earlier today I "looked at" Celtic 1/2 (an absolute steal really) the draw in the Swansea game (canna recall the price I think it was closer to 3s than 2s) and both teams to score in the Citeh Gooners affair (4/9, which was short but nailed on).

I didnae do the line there and then, then forgot all about it.

I'm a rubbish gambler, me.

11 hours ago, MagicRatAFC said:

WTF went on with that penalty??????????????????

The ref was clearly drunk, he had to be.

However what  don't understand is why the hell didn't one of his two linesmen or the 4th official tell him he was drunk and he's dropped a clanger. Surely all four officials could not be drunk :o

Just glad we still manged to grind out another 3 points.

BTW Last nights attendance took us to the ONE MILLION mark for this season, not bad for a team that's won fuck all for over 40 years B)

9 hours ago, AMIW said:

beeb says ref misapplied the law and penalty should have been retaken.. even I knew that clearly ref needs to spend a little time studying laws of the game

So, did he disallow for.... encroachment?

That's a retake, day one stuff that.

2 hours ago, AMIW said:

ref gets this weekend off as a punishment he will be forced to go and watch sunderland and be forced to stay for the whole game unlike the other home fans...:rolleyes:

The two linesmen and the 4th official also dropped and rightly so. I'd love to hear the conversation between them as the goal was disallowed.

1 hour ago, MagicRatAFC said:

By the cringe that was an effort and a half by Shelvey.

The only highlight of the match for us, we were totally out battled by Sheff wed and deserved what we got..nowt

Huddersfield and Reading getting beat is a bonus, one more game out the way so we just stumble over the line.

A massive spending spree is needed if we do go up or we are going straight back down for sure.

On 06/04/2017 at 8:42 AM, MagicRatAFC said:

So, did he disallow for.... encroachment?

That's a retake, day one stuff that.

Law was changed a few years ago so encroachment by attackers only when a penalty was missed became indirect free-kick rather than play-on. Caused a bit of debate because plenty thought that it should be extended to all penalties, irrespective of outcome, but it's an absolute howler.

Roy is right - assistants and 4th official had a huge part to play in correcting the error - they're a team who are supposed to get the laws right between them.

The best footballer I've ever seen live is in my hometown April 18th, Hebburn

B) Peter Beardsley B)

He's managing a Newcastle United XI to play Hebburn Town in a charity match to help Hebburn Town out  he's also doing a talk in after the match ( edit ..talk in  sold out now)

Only a fiver to get in

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

The best footballer I've ever seen live is in my hometown April 18th, Hebburn

B) Peter Beardsley B)

He's managing a Newcastle United XI to play Hebburn Town in a charity match to help Hebburn Town out  he's also doing a talk in after the match ( edit ..talk in  sold out now)

Only a fiver to get in

His goal against Brighton on the last day of the 83/84 promotion season was amazing. Slide tackle, 360 degree shimmy, lob over Joe Corrigan.

Legend

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AMIW said:

only player ever to play for both Manchester clubs 

I may be wrong, but I divn't think he actually played for United's first team.

I stand to be corrected, I know he was on their books as a bairn, but I seem to recall an interview with Fergie saying summat to the effect that he wished he'd had him and bemoaning United letting him go without him playing.

I'll Google in a bit.

Here's one, 4 players have played in the Mersey, Dundee and Old Firm derbys (all Scots).

Who/Fa?

Roy, here's a letter to the Guardian that I thought you might enjoy.

“I’m a curious fish. Historically a Blackeye Rovers fan I moved and now live in the north-east so my second team is Newcastle United, which was both amusing and strangely conflicting when Rovers did the double over them this season. That’s not why I’m writing. As a ‘Johnny come lately’ to the ranks of the Newcastle fan I haven’t felt qualified to make comment on the team. However, having suffering through the defeat by Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday evening I have ummed and ahhed and I’m finally ready to throw in my two penneth; Paul Dummett is a world-class rubbish left-back. If there was a world XI of shockingly bad players with no first touch, no speed of thought and a mesmerising inability to read the game, Dummett’s name would be the first on the list. He is double pants with knobs on. Had to say it, phew, that feels better getting it off my chest. Next time, Mohamed Diamé and his unrelenting refusal to try to win the occasional 50/50” – Marten Allen.