Greasy Lake Community

The Official Newcastle United Thread

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rafa gone, I'm gutted. Best manager we've had for yonks and the fat cockney bastard in charge has forced him out. 

I was never away Andrew, i just didn't have the heart to post on this happy site when i was so sad. I did read all about you seeing that Bruce fella, i loved it mate. Newcastle are indeed st

Newcastle fans donated £20,000 to charity over the weekend in protest against the Premier League's controversial pay-per-view scheme. The Magpies' 4-1 defeat by Manchester United on Saturday was

Posted Images

Newcastle United finished the season as Champions of the Championship after a memorable afternoon at St. James' Park, chalking up their 100th league and cup goal in the process.

Fittingly it was Dwight Gayle who netted our third after coming on as a late substitute but within seconds news filtered through from Villa Park that Aston Villa had equalised against Brighton, despite being down to ten men.

It was met with a mixture of euphoria and disbelief as most of those present had assumed that Brighton would go on to secure the three points that would see them finish on top.

The game finished with United celebrating the victory and promotion but hanging on for news from Birmingham and it was suddenly confirmed that Rafa's side had clinched the title in dramatic style.

Cue huge celebrations on and off the pitch as St. James' Park enjoyed a rare moment of unbridled joy on a day when it all went spectacularly right for the black and whites.

Ayoze Perez's fabulous flick finished off a flowing move to open the scoring in the 23rd minute and when Chancel Mbemba lashed in a second in the 59th minute, the points looked secure.

Gayle netted at the Gallowgate end in the final minute after Aleksandar Mitrovic nodded the ball to him and as fans rose to their feet, that's where they stayed until they left the ground, as the unbelievable news was confirmed.

The trophy was brought out by Bob Moncur to great applause and the team were called out in alphabetic order to the podium before holding the trophy aloft to rousing cheers from all sides of the ground.

The Barnsley fans in level 7 slinked away, having delighted in Brighton's goal at Villa Park, setting off a flare and goading home fans.

Given the poorness of their own side, they had absolutely nothing else to cheer and Rob Elliot denied what should have been a certain goal, but their spite was surprising and pointless.

And to that end, for Aston Villa to be the side that did us a massive favour just adds to the enjoyment, hopefully sticking in the craw of the fickle Villans who face life in the Championship.

With the mackems and smoggies set to join them next season this has been a season that few could have envisaged 12 months ago when our relegation had been confirmed.

It has taken a massive effort from everyone involved to get us back where we belong and for the first time in years this club is United.

Fans, players and staff should all give themselves a pat on the back but one person has been the figurehead and the uniting force.

That's Rafael Benitez and his place in Newcastle's history is now assured whatever happens in the future.

Newcastle United fans  thank him from the bottom of our hearts.

• Like 5
27 minutes ago, MagicRatAFC said:

Didn't they do a "helicopter Sunday"? 

not in div 4 either - the two trophies went to doncaster and Plymouth - and Portsmouth snuck past both of them and had nothing to be presented with

7 hours ago, Born To Walk said:

How did they get the trophy to Newcastle when until the 89th minute it looked like it would be needed in Birmingham?

FFS It's not rocket science ! 

It was obvious the powers that be have a time machine and knew that Newcastle United would pull off a miracle to actually win the league.

When the Barnsley fans set off that firecracker as Brighton scored..it wasn't actually a fire cracker, it was the time machine arriving...with the trophy.

Fuckin' obvious to me. 

• Like 1

there are actually 2 of each trophy but if Roy wants to believe that Rafa booked this last week when he was in Cardiff then who are we to drag him back to reality

tardis.jpg

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Jimmy James said:

Were you there, Roy?

That was a great crowd.

Unfortunately no, I was not there.

Wor lass was in Glasgow seeing some fella called Bob Dylan, so I was on baby sitting duty. She had the gig booked long before we knew this could be a championship decider.  I have acquired brownie points however. My mates were there and all said it was absolutely fantastic.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

Unfortunately no, I was not there.

Wor lass was in Glasgow seeing some fella called Bob Dylan, so I was on baby sitting duty. She had the gig booked long before we knew this could be a championship decider.  I have acquired brownie points however. My mates were there and all said it was absolutely fantastic.

That's uber Brownie points........ like Southampton away for the whole weekend Brownie points, or Ajax away in the Fairs Cup Brownie points.

• Like 1

NEW.. CASTLE  NEWCASTLE NEWCASTLE..NEWCASTLE NEWCASTLE NEWCASTLE..NEWCASTLE NEWCASTLE, NEWCASTLE NEW..CASTLE NEWCASTLE NEW.. CASTLE 

NEW.. CASTLE  NEWCASTLE NEWCASTLE..NEWCASTLE NEWCASTLE NEWCASTLE..NEWCASTLE NEWCASTLE, NEWCASTLE NEW..CASTLE NEWCASTLE 

NEWCASTLE 

Fulham out the play offs so it's Reading v Sheffield Wednesday or Huddersfield. If Reading win the race to the premier league it will mean Burnley (115mile) is our nearest away game ! 

toon also interested in another of the chelski 40

a man called tammy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Tammy Abraham is likely to become Chelsea's third summer departure after the Blues permitted interested clubs – Brighton and Hove Albion and Newcastle United - to hold talks with the striker over a season-long loan deal for the upcoming campaign. Christian Atsu and Juan Cuadrado have already left the club on permanent deals joining Newcastle and Juventus respectively"

and he has a brother called Timmy - what were his parents thinking?

Before what is anticipated to be a busy close season of transfer activity, here's a recap on Newcastle's current squad - limited to anyone still on the books who has played a competitive senior game for us:

Contract expiring imminently (5):
Sammy Ameobi, Vurnon Anita, Yoan Gouffran, Haris Vuckic, Lubo Satka.

2018 (6):
Jesus Gamez, Curtis Good, Massadio Haidara, Tim Krul, Kevin Mbabu, Daryl Murphy.

2019 (2):
Jack Colback, Mohamed Diame.

2020 (9):
Adam Armstrong, Karl Darlow, Siem De Jong, Rob Elliot, Jamaal Lascelles, Chancel Mbemba, Aleksandar Mitrovic, Emmanuel Riviere, Jamie Sterry.

2021 (13):
Rolando Aarons, Christian Atsu, Ciaran Clark, Dwight Gayle, Grant Hanley, Isaac Hayden, Achraf Lazaar, Ayoze Perez, Matt Ritchie, Henri Saivet, Matz Sels, Jonjo Shelvey, DeAndre Yedlin.

Undisclosed (6):
Dan Barlaser (signed in 2015)
Paul Dummett (signed in 2016 tbc)
Yasin Ben El-Mhanni (signed in 2016)
Stuart Findlay (signed in 2016)
Callum Roberts (signed in 2015)
Ivan Toney (signed in 2015)

Misc (1):
Florian Thauvin - status tbc

Non-first team (3):
Tom Heardman (2017 tbc)
Alex Gilliead (2018)