Greasy Lake Community

Format Of The 2012 Shows

45 members have voted

1. 1. I'm Curious

• No Horns
    • Saxophone
    • More Than One Horn

The horns on TOL were over used. They were great for a few songs , but for many songs all they did was mimic and overpower the keyboards.

[quote name='Carl Hunger' timestamp='1323904756' post='2085069']
The horns on TOL were over used. They were great for a few songs , but for many songs all they did was mimic and overpower the keyboards.
[/quote]
Shhhh I keep telling enj it was the best tour EVER!
Buffalo was a close second ;)

I think it depends on the nature of the new material. If there's more of a Motown/soul thing going on then I think it's likely there'll be a multiple horns. I just don't want them for the whole show. I saw the TOL tour and the horns did become a bit much. All things being equal, one saxophone works for me - that's all he ever needed.

[quote name='KleWdSide' timestamp='1324086458' post='2085766']
"More than one horn." Like Tyrell's violin, Ramm's trumpet added more flare to the band's sound.
[/quote]

Curt Ramm's addition at the end of the last tour was a success, so I expect him to be back. Add a sax player and you're already half way to a horn section so may as well go the whole way.

The fact that whenever Bruce has wanted someone new over the last five years he has dipped into the Sessions Band hints at who he might choose.

[quote name='mark-w.uk' timestamp='1324125413' post='2085836']
Horns!!!

Great throughout the show but they take the encores to a whole new level!

To think, the first version I ever heard of 'Adam Raised A Cain' was with horns. The old fans must have gone nuts!
[/quote]
Exactly what I meant by, "overused".

[quote name='Carl Hunger' timestamp='1323904756' post='2085069']
[/quote]

As much as it pains me to admit it, It seems you may have a valid point CH. Having missed the TOL tour i'd love to right that wrong ...But i guess the horns need to be used judiciously.

As much as I love the horns when used by Bruce I hope for a guitar-driven sound this tour.
No sax, no horns, no violin. Just guitar, guitar and more guitar.
It could sound awesome if many of Cs solos were replaced by guitar. Night (off BTR) would be even more killer. We know from 92/93 that it in fact can be done.

Archived