Right now I'm re-reading Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton in honor of her 150th birthday. It's a personal favorite of mine, because Undine Spragg, the main character, has no match in her combination of beauty, rapacity, and shallow ambitiousness--and Wharton is brilliant in painting the picture of the NYC high society to which Spragg aspires.

I just finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. The author's name alone is quite the amalgam, and the book a beautifully written novel of a magical duel enacted by two mentors and their proteges, one that has been playing out for centuries and in many venues. It's exquisite and atmospheric. I am not sure if it would be considered mainstream or fantasy, but if you're looking for an evocative new world to visit, look no further.

• Like 8

Well, this might be a little embarrassing, but I just finished reading The Outsiders. I promised my son almost year ago that I would read it since he was raving about it and really, really wanted me to read it, so I finally got around to it. I can see how it became a teen classic. Kinda cool that there was a Bruce reference there (a character named Ponyboy), and reading it helped me catch a reference that would have gone right over my head otherwise when Peyton Manning recently quipped that he never thought his retirement would be announced by Sodapop Curtis (I presume that Rob Lowe played that character in the movie).

Glad I steered my son toward To Kill a Mockingbird rather than toward The Old Man and the Sea when he had to make that choice recently. In some way, both The Outsiders and To Kill a Mockingbird have related themes (regarding judging others only by appearances).

Heading toward more "grown up" stuff now, but haven't decided. I do have one more promise book to read though, but I don't want to say what it is until I've finished it.

Skyjocky, it might please you to hear that I got my son to watch the movie adaptation of Carl Sagan's Contact, and he loved it. When he heard the Jodie Foster character say that if humans were the only creatures in the universe, then it seemed like an awful waste of space, he told me that he'd often thought the very same thing. Maybe I've got a future cosmologist on my hands, lol.

Maher's great. His "New Rules" are best live, though--they have a time stamp.

Well, this might be a little embarrassing, but I just finished reading The Outsiders. I promised my son almost year ago that I would read it since he was raving about it and really, really wanted me to read it, so I finally got around to it. I can see how it became a teen classic. Kinda cool that there was a Bruce reference there (a character named Ponyboy), and reading it helped me catch a reference that would have gone right over my head otherwise when Peyton Manning recently quipped that he never thought his retirement would be announced by Sodapop Curtis (I presume that Rob Lowe played that character in the movie).

Glad I steered my son toward To Kill a Mockingbird rather than toward The Old Man and the Sea when he had to make that choice recently. In some way, both The Outsiders and To Kill a Mockingbird have related themes (regarding judging others only by appearances).

Heading toward more "grown up" stuff now, but haven't decided. I do have one more promise book to read though, but I don't want to say what it is until I've finished it.

Skyjocky, it might please you to hear that I got my son to watch the movie adaptation of Carl Sagan's Contact, and he loved it. When he heard the Jodie Foster character say that if humans were the only creatures in the universe, then it seemed like an awful waste of space, he told me that he'd often thought the very same thing. Maybe I've got a future cosmologist on my hands, lol.

It does, indeed! And I agree with Ms. Foster and your son.

One of my biggest pleasures is watching a young person, as they look through my telescope, and seeing their faces light up as they see, for the first time, one of the wonders of the universe. We had over 400 visitors at the Observatory last Saturday and that happened constantly. Of course the parents are thrilled too, but it's the kids that mean the most to me.

BTW, "The Old Man And The Sea" was one of my favs as a young man, as was "To Kill A Mockingbird".

Been on an Agatha Christie kick lately. Just finished And Then There Were None, and just started Murder On The Orient Express. Classics that I unfortunately never had the time for over the years.

Just finished The Help (yes, I'm that far behind!) ~ I was surprised at how much I liked it. Not perfect, but 90% perfect. Next up is Franzen.

billh: I think a career in cosmology would be great for your son; there are not near enough males involved in the field and women will always want to have their skin and makeup just right, no matter what else changes in the world.

billh: I think a career in cosmology would be great for your son; there are not near enough males involved in the field and women will always want to have their skin and makeup just right, no matter what else changes in the world.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Damn! Beat me to it! :P

Been on an Agatha Christie kick lately. Just finished And Then There Were None, and just started Murder On The Orient Express. Classics that I unfortunately never had the time for over the years.

Two more for ya (my two favorite Christie's): The A.B.C. Murders and Curtain. Curtain is, hands down, my all-time favorite mystery novel.

Nah, but my son would make a lousy cosmotologist. He's busy enough dealing with all his acne meds right now.

I've two books on the go at the moment. "The Sea Is My Brother" by Jack Kerouac (His lost novel plus some early writings) and "The Letters of Samuel Beckett" (Vol1 1929-1940) - great stuff.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've missed you, MD!

I'm currently reading a very engrossing book--"Guerrilla Marketing remix" by Jay Conrad Levinson & Jeannie Levinson. I never thought a book on marketing could be so incredibly interesting and provocative.

Just finished Seth Godin's "Poke the Box." Fantastic. Encouraging. Challenging. And an easy read!

I've missed you, MD!

I'm currently reading a very engrossing book--"Guerrilla Marketing remix" by Jay Conrad Levinson & Jeannie Levinson. I never thought a book on marketing could be so incredibly interesting and provocative.

(As Power13's head explodes...)

66743971.JPG

Well, you asked. ;):D

I hardly EVER come to this forum, here I am and forgot ALL about this book! Saw him hold it up on last season's show. I must have.

I've two books on the go at the moment. "The Sea Is My Brother" by Jack Kerouac (His lost novel plus some early writings) and "The Letters of Samuel Beckett" (Vol1 1929-1940) - great stuff.

Dude, you have some serious good taste.

I've read The Outsiders and the kinda sequel That Was Then, This is Now quite a few times over the years. S.E. Hinton is a chick! (I just thought I'd add that tidbit...I think it's so cool...)

Both books are really accessible to teenagers, some of whom have limited vocabularies. I remember an exemplary student telling me how cool it was that he noticed a level three student (the lowest level) reading it during class underneath his desk....and it wasn't even an assigned book!

Just finished The Help (yes, I'm that far behind!) ~ I was surprised at how much I liked it. Not perfect, but 90% perfect. Next up is Franzen.

Which Franzen book? I really liked the most recent one but haven't read anything else by him.

I loved The Help. One of those books I started reading at the bookstore and ended up buying, because it was so compelling.

I've missed you, MD!

(As Power13's head explodes...)

HAH!! :lol: :lol:

I actually have the first version of the book....didn't know there was a "remix" version. It is indeed a very good book. ;)

As for what MD is reading (or more appropriately NOT reading)......well, let's just say we have had this discussion before. :P

Oh, and I am currently reading the Steig Larsson books.....

Just finished The Help (yes, I'm that far behind!)

Uhhhh.....

The Dark Tower is the seventh novel in Stephen King's Dark Tower series, published by Grant on September 21, 2004 (King's birthday)

For those not keeping score at home.....over 7 years ago!!!!

I'm about ready to just tell you how it ends. :P :P

For Christmas I got the DW "77 shadow street" and "11/22/63".

I really liked those.

They are on my TBR list.

I have The Drama of the Gifted Child by Alice Miller, but also on my TBR list.

Just finished the fifth book in the Lisa Lutz Spellman mystery series. FUNNY STUFF!

I really liked those.

I ripped throught he first one, but 120 pages into the second one and I still have no idea what it is about!! :lol: But at least I know the characters now, so it isn't painful. ;)