The Unquiet - John Connolly

I get the titles mixed up but I like Connolly a lot. Very good writer.

Believe it or not, I've just discovered him. I randomly picked up the most recent Charlie Parker book in paperback and I absolutely love his writing style. Deep, dark, existential, and I like the characters. So of course I went to the store and picked up 3 in the series (all of the back catalog they had), and this one was published in '07. I'm digging it so far.

Believe it or not, I've just discovered him. I randomly picked up the most recent Charlie Parker book in paperback and I absolutely love his writing style. Deep, dark, existential, and I like the characters. So of course I went to the store and picked up 3 in the series (all of the back catalog they had), and this one was published in '07. I'm digging it so far.

Be sure to read the first Charlie Parker book, Every Dead Thing. Helps explain why Parker is the way he is.

Be sure to read the first Charlie Parker book, Every Dead Thing. Helps explain why Parker is the way he is.

Oh I will definitely read it. I will eventually read all of the series. This is one where I hate not reading them in order, but I'm captivated nonetheless. Excellent series!

Have a few on the go at the moment, Dracula by Bram Stoker; an academic study of vampires; and M.R. James's collected ghost stories.

Just finished the Stephen King short story collection Everything's Eventual (for those who have read it, my favourite story from it is The Man In The Black Suit), and have now started on Carrie. Got three more - Christine, the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, and Thinner (which was written under his pseudonym Richard Bachman) - on order. Haven't read any Stephen King up until now, and wow what a great writer he is!

Just finished the Stephen King short story collection Everything's Eventual (for those who have read it, my favourite story from it is The Man In The Black Suit), and have now started on Carrie. Got three more - Christine, the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, and Thinner (which was written under his pseudonym Richard Bachman) - on order. Haven't read any Stephen King up until now, and wow what a great writer he is!

The only one of his that I've read is Under The Dome and I thought it was fantastic!

The Death of Santini by Pat Conroy.

Takes you through the writing of The Great Santini and its eventual filming....and The Lords of Discipline. Great stuff from a master storyteller

So far this year:

The One: The Life and Music of James Brown by R.J. Smith

Satan is Real: The Ballad of the Louvin Brothers by Charlie Louvin

Alan Lomax: The Man Who Recorded the World by John Szwed

Next up in the queue:

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Catherine by April Lindner

I've just finished The Guts by Roddy Doyle. It's the full novel follow up to The Commitments (he did a short-story follow up called 'The Deportees some years back). The Guts is hilarious. I read it in 2 sittings and despite it's background story of Jimmy Rabbitt's fight with bowel cancer - I rolled about laughing throughout. Very good 'feel good' book.

Currently reading Bono by Mick Wall.

The only one of his that I've read is Under The Dome and I thought it was fantastic!

Cool, might check it out. I've now finished Thinner (which is truly brilliant) and am well into Christine. Next I'm after another short story collection (thinking Skeleton Crew), Cujo, the Tommyknockers, Salem's Lot, Pet Sematary, the Dark Half, Misery, Needful Things, the rest of the Richard Bachman books... there's too many haha

Cool, might check it out. I've now finished Thinner (which is truly brilliant) and am well into Christine. Next I'm after another short story collection (thinking Skeleton Crew), Cujo, the Tommyknockers, Salem's Lot, Pet Sematary, the Dark Half, Misery, Needful Things, the rest of the Richard Bachman books... there's too many haha

That's definitely enough to keep you busy through winter! Under The Dome will keep you for a while as it's over 1000 pages.

The Death of Santini by Pat Conroy.

Takes you through the writing of The Great Santini and its eventual filming....and The Lords of Discipline. Great stuff from a master storyteller

Still enjoying this book. What a family! Don't know if you know Rick Bragg but he's a younger version of Conroy with an equally dysfunctional family. All Over but the Shoutin' is his best.

I've just finished reading Bruce Springsteen & The Promise of Rock n Roll by Marc Dolan a great read and insight on how rock n roll made Bruce and vica versa. Now I am reading Never Go Back by Lee Child (another Jack Reacher novel)

And "Written in my soul" by Bill Flannaghan.

One of my favourite books.

Double Down: Game Change 2012

Longer than its predecessor and sleazier in style. I'll finish it because I'm a politics junkie but I don't think it's nearly as good as Game Change 2008.

Double Down: Game Change 2012

Longer than its predecessor and sleazier in style. I'll finish it because I'm a politics junkie but I don't think it's nearly as good as Game Change 2008.

One reviewer called it the TMZ version of the campaign. I have The Gamble by political scientists who write the Monkey Cage blog but haven't read it yet.

'Talk About a Dream' - the new Bruce book with archived interviews. Very interesting stuff. It's interesting to see how his language has evolved over the years.

'Talk About a Dream' - the new Bruce book with archived interviews. Very interesting stuff. It's interesting to see how his language has evolved over the years.

Indeed. Bruce is a self educated man and has done a ton of reading. As I read those interviews, I was impressed with how much more articulate he became as the years passed. I felt like you could literally chart his intellectual growth and development with each one of those interviews. I really enjoy reading any and all of his current interviews because of his command of the language and his ability to be much more expressive and insightful in his responses to questions. Glad you enjoyed the book!

• Like 1