Greasy Lake Community

On 12/24/2018 at 9:38 AM, Jimmy James said:

Can I get a report on this when finished. I've had it my hands a couple different times and put it back. 

Sorry, I just saw this.  Yes, of course but I am 3/4's of the way through and I'm really enjoying it.  Definitely makes you think about our safety.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right now I'm re-reading Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton in honor of her 150th birthday. It's a personal favorite of mine, because Undine Spragg, the main character, has no match in her combina

I read both of the books written by @Jerseyforniarecently.  Both were so enjoyable because they brought out many different emotions.  I highly recommend them.  

Just finished this. I love her even more now.  

Posted Images

On 12/30/2018 at 4:45 PM, Wout said:

I am currently reading a book about the last Romanovs! Very interesting.

Apparently the book was already written 50 years ago but just a month ago it got a reissue and a new Dutch translation so I went with it. 

I was just so very much attracted to that front cover picture!

romanovs.thumb.png.5498d2d0229327c5208936a06dfd4d84.png

https://www.amazon.com/Nicholas-Alexandra-Classic-Account-Romanov/dp/0345438310

I am so intrigued about anything Romanov.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Kburke said:

Just finished it, a few moments ago.  My cheeks are streaked with tears.  I absolutely love your writing, JF.  

Love.  

Thank you very much. I'm sorry I made you cry.

Well, actually, I'm kind of glad I made you cry. It means I did my job right.

I appreciate you reading it and feeling it.

For anyone willing to take a chance, this book and First Boy on the Moon are still available free to fellow Lakers through the links posted in this thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just finished The Night Raid by Clare Harvey. I've read 2 others, The English Agent and The Gunner Girl … bit of a theme going on? She's got another one,  The Escape but I wasn't going to bother with that one … but just read that it's set in 1945 … so I reckon I may as well complete the set.

Darn it. While searching, I've seen another one - The Spark Girl - picture of an ATS lass on the front, RA - same as mam. Hmmm, there's another one, as if I didn't have enough books already. Can anyone ever have too many books?

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Jerseyfornia said:

Thank you very much. I'm sorry I made you cry.

Well, actually, I'm kind of glad I made you cry. It means I did my job right.

I appreciate you reading it and feeling it.

For anyone willing to take a chance, this book and First Boy on the Moon are still available free to fellow Lakers through the links posted in this thread.

Oh, of course it’s good I cried.  It happened earlier in the book too, for that matter (as I’m sure you can guess). For me, that’s the best possible outcome of reading a book:  feeling something.  That you can conjure that up is wonderful.  

• Like 1

Some of the books I got for Christmas... been reading the de Gaulle book at work. Great man who doesn't get enough credit for his part in the salvation of the Free World. And a book about the greatest football player of all time, and not just on @Jimmy James's Colts. Some books are in the process of arriving, thanks to Amazon gift cards. Much thanks to @Ann Jones for the recommendations to continue with the Galbraith series. And of course I'm planning on starting our great writer @Jerseyfornia's series - again thanks to Amazon gift cards. 

image.jpeg.7880005bd9b903f8dff474872ae4f5b3.jpegimage.jpeg.e8afbda03d29037f2b79a5ddfacc4311.jpegimage.jpeg.4c18a9a22f0ddcca4a56bf5533d6a148.jpegimage.jpeg.ac1e61cba08810851960247d6b91c7d9.jpegimage.jpeg.a5e002dfa343aec77a295e58ba4f30ad.jpeg

• Like 1
On 12/24/2018 at 9:38 AM, Jimmy James said:

Can I get a report on this when finished. I've had it my hands a couple different times and put it back. 

On 1/8/2019 at 11:11 PM, BrilliantDisguise said:

Sorry, I just saw this.  Yes, of course but I am 3/4's of the way through and I'm really enjoying it.  Definitely makes you think about our safety.

I just finished reading this and I really enjoyed it.  It's a pretty big book but a relatively quick read because the chapters are short, so that makes you keep thinking 'I'll just read one more chapter, etc.'  Without giving too much away, it's about cyber-terrorism and it really makes you think.  It's pretty suspenseful and keeps making you wonder who the bad guy is.  The President is a likable character and the book doesn't truly identify him as a Democrat or Republican, but... :D.  I recommend it for sure.  

BTW...Showtime bought the rights to this so expect a limited series out of it very soon.

• Thanks 1

I finished Joy In The Morning last night. Loved the book - the characters, like the last one, are marvellous. I kept waiting for something awful to happen - but it didn't. Well, I was very sorry to hear of somebody's demise … good job I wasn't on the bus when I read that bit, being in the Biker Café was bad enough.

I'll have to get her other one. Will start The Spark Girl on the bus, later.

27 minutes ago, Eileen said:

the Biker Café was bad enough.

You mention this Biker Cafe a lot and I always get curious. I go to biker bars, roadhouses where bikers gather, places like that, but have never heard of a Biker Cafe. Is this the one you always talk about?

14494859_548273162025193_724318454996791

• Love Love Love! 1

I was there yesterday.

It's changed a bit - they've now got window seats to the left and right - but still bikes on each side. The main tables are at the back with the kitchen beyond that. The main garage is behind all that. There are usually bikes of all description outside - the forecourt would be full of bikes, especially on a Saturday or any weekday during the Summer. 

You get a wide variety of folk going in there. Yesterday, there were 3 blokes - yellow overalls, hard hats - didn't realise you couldn't pay by card (cash only) and one was having a bit of bother sorting out how he'd pay. The woman - owner and wife of lad who works in the garage - told him he could pay next time he was in. He was saying he wasn't sure when that would be … he still sat down next to me and his food was brought to him so they must have sorted something out.

I think you'd like it there - and would probably like working there, too. It's known for its burgers whilst they do all kinds of things, adding their own touch - it's highly thought of.  It's been open for years but I only realised that a couple of years ago. You don't have to be a biker or ex-biker :) and folk much older than I go, as well as families with young children.

I haven't read a book in almost a year. I have some sort of weird superstition or mental issue about reading while I'm working on my own books. I can't explain it, really, so I won't bother trying. I've given myself a break from writing to pursue the marketing and publishing side of it all so I grabbed something familiar and comfortable to read, something I've read before.

61Y6FqWq-PL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I forgot how much I love these stories. If you're a fan of Steve Earle's songwriting (and even if you aren't), the man writes wonderful stories. This book reads like an album, the stories are like Steve Earle songs without any music. Highly recommended. He's got a novel out that I haven't read. Gonna try and read that before I go back to my book.

• Like 1