Greasy Lake Community

Whatcha reading?

image.png.e2fb56d48bfa17022a71c58951f6c3b5.png

I'm miffed. Amazon said they had dispatched this and it should arrive today. This morning they sent a mail saying they didn't know when it could be sent off and they would get back to me within 30 days.

And here I had my whole day planned, reading this!

• Sad 2

I'm just at the last 20 pages or so of Bernal Diaz del Castillo's Conquest of New Spain. The memoir of an actual conquistador who accompanied Cortes and his allies in the destruction of Mexica (Aztec as we now call it) civilisation. I guess we all know this remarkable event happened but once you read into the  detail it becomes all the more fascinating. What leaps out at me is that Diaz never once seemed to question what he and his fellow conquistadors did. They were Christian soldiers fully entitled by God to plunder, kill and destroy and convert all to their religion. 

This year is the 500th anniversary of the start of the Spanish conquest of Mexico. 

51MMQCEB63L._SX303_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:01 PM, dr winston oboogie said:

Auntie you should get The Tatooist of Auschwitz which I mentiond earlier, a true story, very very sad but uplifting as well.

I'm reading it now - just started the other night. Thank you.

• Like 1

I finished this early book by John Banville earlier this week. Good stuff, but his style definitely got better through the years.

51YB2nevWcL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Now I'm continuing with this, which, with "The Newton letter" forms a trilogy.

51VSeJK73QL.jpg

It's better than Doctor Copernicus, so far.

just opened the mail

this website found me that is UK based but priced in NZ dollars and includes postage in the price

everdently there is much more to King George III than madness and lossing America

15513322161311666509922.jpg

image.png.09de42bc28be817fa8cae09155591c21.png

I'm reading David Lewis-Williams & David Pearce's Inside The Neolitic Mind. It's quite interesting, but too much shamanisim for my taste. I wouldn't recommend it.

At the same time I'm listening to this via audiobook. Very insightful.

image.png.f04d90b4f6aee5ebb6f129415c7fcde0.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

I would love to read like that. My wife can. but I take 3 times longer. 

I can read non stop for several hours if the book is good enough! I often stop myself starting one if I know I have stuff to do...