Greasy Lake Community

Whatcha reading?

8 minutes ago, robk1 said:

I rather liked it. I think I read it before I saw the film...which I think worked well.

I then bought Her Perfect Symmetry....which I didn't think was much cop....but my girlfriend liked it a lot and wants to find more by her.

I didn't know there was a movie. I think the time travel was done well as I said I just didn't like the main characters. I did like some of the minor ones but not enough to redeem the story for me. I know it was really popular when it came out.

On 3/21/2020 at 3:09 PM, Rizla said:

Just started Revelation  Good example as the Shardlake novels are very long and take me ages to get through!

I finally finished the Shardlake brick, and looking for something short and light, I found The Body In The Library .....
which I think is the very first Agatha Christie novel I read, when I was about 12.
I can't remember whodunnit.   :D

• Like 2

Just finished this. Well worth a read. A bit pretentious at times, but I guess it probably was a bit pretentious on Hydra in 1960 with all those egos. A few of the characters are little bit thin but what I really liked about it was the idea of fictionally evoking a story of a character within a circle of actual people in actual circumstances - the likes of Leonard Cohen, Charmian Clift and George Johnston. Also  I liked that I could relate to the young care free travel experiences I had at a simialr age and the pain of revisiting the past hoping to find that magical atmosphere / moment which ultimately is lost in time. 

tfd.jpg

...sorry, not a book but needs this song to go with the book ....:(

• Love Love Love! 1

On 4/30/2020 at 8:53 AM, Captain Chaos said:

Anyone read the new Stephen King offering “If It Bleeds” yet? 

I've read the first 3 stories and half of the 4th one. I enjoyed Mr Harrigans phone and The Life of Chuck, although the latter was slightly confusing but both stories are a good read. If it bleeds is like a sequel to the Outsider so if you liked that you'll like it. 4th story Rat is starting out promising. 

So overall I've enjoyed reading it, its better than his last 3 or 4 books in my humble opinion.

My favourite king novel is 11.22.63, I adore that book.

12 hours ago, Johnstown Company said:

I've read the first 3 stories and half of the 4th one. I enjoyed Mr Harrigans phone and The Life of Chuck, although the latter was slightly confusing but both stories are a good read. If it bleeds is like a sequel to the Outsider so if you liked that you'll like it. 4th story Rat is starting out promising. 

So overall I've enjoyed reading it, its better than his last 3 or 4 books in my humble opinion.

My favourite king novel is 11.22.63, I adore that book.

Thanks. I’m halfway through Life of Chuck. Really liked the first story and intrigued by second.

I’ve always loved his short story anthologies. Nightmares and Dreamscapes or Skeketon Crew being my favourites.

As for his full novels I’d probably pick Salem’s Lot as my personal fav. 11.22.63 is excellent as well.

• Like 1

Oh - I perked up when I saw there was a new Stephen King anthology.  But .... I haven't read The Outsider, and I didn't like the TV series. 
How long are the other 3 stories compared with the title story?

1 hour ago, Rizla said:

Oh - I perked up when I saw there was a new Stephen King anthology.  But .... I haven't read The Outsider, and I didn't like the TV series. 
How long are the other 3 stories compared with the title story?

The Outsider sequel (although it's a stand alone story) is 160 pages. The other 3 stories are 75, 55 and 75 pages approx.

• Thanks 1

I just finished reading The Starless Sea. Well written and the images are very vivid. I read The Night Circus when it came out also. The closest author I've read to what this is like is Neil Gaiman. Very magical and throughout the story a blend of what is "real" and what is imagined story.

download.jpeg

• Like 2

Like lots of people ( I guess ) I have had more reading time recently and no access to a library. I have been re reading more of my old books. Most have the date I bought them , but not when I read them. Lots do have an old train ticket in as a book mark, which gives a handy date. ( I used to have a very long commute ).I have also found a few other lovely " book marks ", including a smashing photo of my girlfriend on the island of Berneray .

Starting Tenant of Wildfell Hall tomorrow.

• Like 1

I finished this about a week ago. I love Louise Erdrich. She has probably been my favorite author for 10-15 years. This is somewhat based on her grandfather and an episode in US history and an attempt to get rid of the Turtle Mountain Reservation in northern North Dakota in the early 1950's.

As an aside my mom grew up not far from the reservation, just to the east. After my grandmother died the little house my mom and the family moved to when Mom was a child was sold to a woman from the reservation and she had it moved onto the reservation for her son. My mom could never believe it didn't fall apart when it was lifted. I've been back to the little town once since then and it's very odd to see the lot where the house once stood.

The Night Watchman by Louise Erdrich

x400.jpg

• Like 1

As another quick read, I finally got round to reading  Edith Wharton's 'Ethan Frome'.  Dear me, what a miseryfest.
I bought that in a Manchester charity shop to read on the train home after the last Bruce gig there, but got distracted.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 2:23 PM, Troublette said:

I just finished reading The Starless Sea. Well written and the images are very vivid. I read The Night Circus when it came out also. The closest author I've read to what this is like is Neil Gaiman. Very magical and throughout the story a blend of what is "real" and what is imagined story.

download.jpeg

Waiting for this via my local (ebook) library. I read her first, The Night Circus. Highly recommended.

3 hours ago, Skin2Skin said:

Waiting for this via my local (ebook) library. I read her first, The Night Circus. Highly recommended.

I got it from my local ebook library also. I was on hold for months! I enjoyed The Night Circus, why I put this one on hold not knowing anything about it. I hope you enjoy it when you finally get it!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...