On 4/29/2020 at 7:19 AM, whispered secret said:

Really enjoyed this - an unusual love story with some great characters.

97C5F141-D8EF-4D04-8E6C-DABE800BF825.jpeg.c44e567bf2b612eebbc48c789a0c1737.jpeg

I'm listening to the audio of this right now. I listen while I sew.

• Like 1

Just before the covid lockdown I resolved to re read books from my shelf and then re cycle them. Now with libraries closed I have been doing it with a vengeance. I've been doing alternative humourous and serious.

I have had a couple of books on the shelf since 1998, unread. They are by Lewis Jones: Cwmardy and WeLive. I think I had never read them cos I thought it should be a trilogy and that I was missing one...if so I was wrong.

I am now 2/3 the way through the first book and enjoying it hugely.

It is about a mining community in S Wales in the early 20 century.

• Like 1

Not just for those ornithologically inclined this is a great read, about the mother ofall speed machines in the animal kingdom the Peregrine Falcon - 

A fascinating insight into this awesome wonder of the natural world but also a feel of nostalgia about a landscape lost and a desire for the freedom of the bird breaking the shackles of our human existence plodding on the terra firma .

JA Baker was a bit of a recluse and this adds to the mystique of thebook, very little is expressed about himself but his manipulation of the English language - turning nouns into verbs amongst other things  is also intriguing

download (1).jpg

Just started this one. There's another one about the 'other' escape at the same time,  a truer version, which I'll get when it's a bit cheaper. The man in this book was one of 3 pals who escaped together.

I'm hoping I haven't already read this one - I'm going through stuff I've had for a while and not read yet.

Long Way Home.jpg

1 hour ago, riverdude2 said:

lockdown-696x464.png&f=1&nofb=1

Is this any good? I hadn't read any of his until a few weeks ago when a friend recommended The Lewis Trilogy, which I enjoyed.

1 hour ago, whispered secret said:

Is this any good? I hadn't read any of his until a few weeks ago when a friend recommended The Lewis Trilogy, which I enjoyed.

Spoiler

Quite good for 3/4 of story but ending seems rushed and contrived. Still worth a read though.

• Thanks 1

image.png.27e79389315ac4e75a302d6a9e8ac350.png

A short book but very strange.  I don't fully understand what it was about! Glad it's over :wacko:

image.png.52b9e20c621141e926e52fd972ee2970.png

One of those really easy books to read.  I think they're nicknamed Aga sagas or something :).  I must admit I guessed what the ending would be before I got there.

• Like 1

I am reading Fevre Dream by George R.R. Martin.  It is a vampire story set on the Mississippi, "Mark Twain meets Bram Stoker".

Not really my kind of thing, but highly praised, and it was a charity shop buy.
I'm about a quarter of the way through and not greatly enjoying it.  I may not see it through to the end.

As it is set in the mid 19th century, there is a fair bit about slavery in it and the language is of that time.  The novel itself was written in the 1980s.  I doubt a white person would dare to write it in the current climate.  A sad state of affairs.

71OhYoKEGTL.jpg

image.png.095446437325ab7cd17309173b017466.png

Brilliant! Highly recommended.  The first couple of lines reminded me of Rebecca.  Then it's a bit Upstairs, Downstairs meets Titanic meets Downton Abbey (although I've never seen DA).

2 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

image.png.095446437325ab7cd17309173b017466.png

Brilliant! Highly recommended.  The first couple of lines reminded me of Rebecca.  Then it's a bit Upstairs, Downstairs meets Titanic meets Downton Abbey (although I've never seen DA).

Ohhhh I read that a few years ago. 
I did get the impression that the young Australian author had researched the background and period by watching Upstairs, Downstairs. :rolleyes: 
I recall there were some amusing anachronisms :D

Have you finished it?  I won't say any more until I know ;)

44 minutes ago, Rizla said:

Ohhhh I read that a few years ago. 
I did get the impression that the young Australian author had researched the background and period by watching Upstairs, Downstairs. :rolleyes: 
I recall there were some amusing anachronisms :D

Have you finished it?  I won't say any more until I know ;)

Yes I have.

It was quite a page-turner

Spoiler

but ultimately I was disappointed.  Silly ending, and it all turned on the misunderstanding about the shorthand, which surely would have been cleared up very early on.  I mean, you would say if you couldn't read the notes, wouldn't you?  Someone might be embarrassed to admit that they were illiterate, but not knowing shorthand is nothing to be ashamed of.  Also the old cliché about the toff in the big house getting the maid pregnant.  That was so darn obvious that I waited and waited for the twist ..... only for that to be the "twist" ! 

(Spoilered in case someone else reads it)

• Like 1

I am reading The Clock Maker's Daughter by Kate Moreton at the moment. About half way through it, I think it's good but one of the narrators is a ghost which seems to me a bit of an easy way to tell parts of the story. Easy to read though.

For an Australian, her geographical knowledge of London is pretty good! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, whispered secret said:

For an Australian, her geographical knowledge of London is pretty good! 

A map is a good thing to have when you're writing about a real place.
Dan Brown clearly had no access to a map of Paris when writing The Da Vinci Code. :o

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2020 at 2:15 PM, Jimmy James said:

20200628_081337.jpg

Nice reading location. Don't know the book

36 minutes ago, robk1 said:

Nice reading location. Don't know the book

Oh yeah, wife knows not to bother me back there until at least 10:00am. This is where I get rid of a lot of my troubles. 

So watched Man City beat Newcastle back there on Sunday, took my laptop and sat there and watched the match. When we got new cable service about three months ago, made sure the WiFi reached back there and booming. I am a lucky man!!

BTW: the author writes thrillers with historically facts, love him and Steve Berry and Dan Brown all write the same way.  

• Like 1

At the start of lockdown I read Just one damned thing after another by Jodi Taylor after my wife had finished it. She was underwhelmed by it. Ten sequels, two short story collections & one spin-off novel later it's fair to say that I was completely & utterly whelmed.

On 4/8/2020 at 12:37 PM, BrilliantDisguise said:

71MN0BfwWQL.jpg

This finally came in from the library last week. I liked it but was surprised it ended when it did. Do you think there will be a sequel or do we come up with our own ideas for what Henry does? I admit I like books where not everything is tied up nicely in a bow so it's fine how it is.

17 hours ago, Troublette said:

This finally came in from the library last week. I liked it but was surprised it ended when it did. Do you think there will be a sequel or do we come up with our own ideas for what Henry does? I admit I like books where not everything is tied up nicely in a bow so it's fine how it is.

We read it as part of a quarantine 'book club' and we were all wondering if there would be a sequel too.  I bet the author just keeps it open ended.  I think it would make a great movie though.

• Like 1