Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right now I'm re-reading Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton in honor of her 150th birthday. It's a personal favorite of mine, because Undine Spragg, the main character, has no match in her combina

I read both of the books written by @Jerseyforniarecently.  Both were so enjoyable because they brought out many different emotions.  I highly recommend them.  

Extract from Chapter 1:  

Posted Images

image.thumb.png.c89b2096ac35ba2eeb9ef7ed5d3932cf.png

Parts of this could almost be my mother-in-law's story.  I read it in two days.  I wish the ending hadn't been so rushed though.  Would like to have learned more about the court case and what happened to the nuns, although I guess they were probably long dead before the case started.

23 minutes ago, janeymarywendy said:

image.thumb.png.c89b2096ac35ba2eeb9ef7ed5d3932cf.png

Parts of this could almost be my mother-in-law's story.  I read it in two days.  I wish the ending hadn't been so rushed though.  Would like to have learned more about the court case and what happened to the nuns, although I guess they were probably long dead before the case started.

Crikey, need to hear your mother-in-laws story, sounds intriguing.

Our libraries have reopened. Problem is I'm really enjoying re reading books from my shelves....many of them is first time for 30/40 years.

• Like 2
On 7/10/2020 at 8:46 PM, Ninethumbs said:

At the start of lockdown I read Just one damned thing after another by Jodi Taylor after my wife had finished it. She was underwhelmed by it. Ten sequels, two short story collections & one spin-off novel later it's fair to say that I was completely & utterly whelmed.

@Ninethumbs

Since the charity shops have started opening up again (hurrah!) I've acquired one of these books.  It's one of the later ones in the series though.
Would you recommend reading them in the right order? 

Just now, Rizla said:

@Ninethumbs

Since the charity shops have started opening up again (hurrah!) I've acquired one of these books.  It's one of the later ones in the series though.
Would you recommend reading them in the right order? 

I certainly would. They all follow chronologically. Other than the short stories which are interspersed.

Hope you enjoy. I absolutely loved them.

I thought I may as well continue with the Irish misery ;)

image.png.8a81e2d356edf3fa9a66b772e47ba6ea.png

Loved it.  Love the way he writes.  Lots of humour too - reminds me of so many people I've known through the years on my husband's side (his parents weren't from Limerick or the North though).

I am reading another Ben Aaronovitch police fantasy novel. 
Lies Sleeping
It's from the library :D

51VMcLh2OIL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

6 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Loved it.  Love the way he writes.  Lots of humour too - reminds me of so many people I've known through the years on my husband's side (his parents weren't from Limerick or the North though).

You going to read the sequel ? Tis ?

I didn't really like either of them...but do read it.

2 hours ago, robk1 said:

You going to read the sequel ? Tis ?

I didn't really like either of them...but do read it.

If I can borrow it from someone ;), but I won't bother buying it. Very rarely have to buy books as I have friends who give me lots of theirs. I pass them on to my mum, then she takes them to a charity shop.

4 hours ago, jmw said:

I need to work out how to order books from the library.

Check out your library's website.  Mine (Oxfordshire) has a good search facility so you can see:
if they have a particular book
how many copies they have
which branches have a copy
whether those copies are out on loan or on the shelf

You can reserve books online, and specify which branch you want to collect it from.

There's more stuff as well, like reference you can access from home, eg the Oxford English Dictionary and newspaper archives.

14 hours ago, Rizla said:

Check out your library's website.  Mine (Oxfordshire) has a good search facility so you can see:
if they have a particular book
how many copies they have
which branches have a copy
whether those copies are out on loan or on the shelf

You can reserve books online, and specify which branch you want to collect it from.

There's more stuff as well, like reference you can access from home, eg the Oxford English Dictionary and newspaper archives.

I do order, but they now have a new click and collect type system, just need to check it out.

On 7/27/2020 at 5:07 AM, janeymarywendy said:

This was an incredible book. The next two not as much. I admit I had a harder time when he was making his own bad choices as an adult even though you know where they come from after reading about his childhood here.

• Like 2

I've just finished Tom Nichols', 'The Death of Expertise'. Great book and highly recommended.

image.thumb.jpeg.6c4d9da4f4a7a3368907b41a52d22a37.jpeg

Recently, I read Brian Greene's, 'Until the end of time', which is far from his best books.image.thumb.jpeg.c9d81e749668d16392cee9ff82bded3e.jpeg

And Lewis Datnell's, 'Origins, how the Earth shaped Human History', which was pretty good.image.jpeg.55915cff5c869127a9530a692e6c670b.jpeg

• Bruuuuce! 1

Earlier in June I read, 'These Truths, a history of the United States, by Jill Lepore.

image.jpeg.e55ffdc9dae96a41aa3ce7d4845abaf9.jpeg

And 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee', by Dee Brown.

image.jpeg.2ddbf989f717ad3806a2a9ccb4bd9521.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Bruuuuce! 1

image.png.bf6a23a9ebbb1449248189455c1b8df0.png

I got a couple of chapters into this and realised I'd read it before :rolleyes: But I carried on anyway as it is just SO good.  The main character is quite awful and the descriptions of a Greek island are spot on.