Greasy Lake Community

On 8/1/2020 at 3:45 PM, Frank said:

Earlier in June I read, 'These Truths, a history of the United States, by Jill Lepore.

image.jpeg.e55ffdc9dae96a41aa3ce7d4845abaf9.jpeg

And 'Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee', by Dee Brown.

image.jpeg.2ddbf989f717ad3806a2a9ccb4bd9521.jpeg

Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee made quite an impression on me when I read it some 35 years ago, and was one of the relatively few books I chose to keep when I needed to get rid of most of those I owned, ten years or so ago.  If you enjoy this book you will also enjoy Son of the Morning Star by Evan S Connell, about the Battle of the Little Bighorn and General Custer. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right now I'm re-reading Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton in honor of her 150th birthday. It's a personal favorite of mine, because Undine Spragg, the main character, has no match in her combina

I read both of the books written by @Jerseyforniarecently.  Both were so enjoyable because they brought out many different emotions.  I highly recommend them.  

Thank you for the offer. I have already downloaded first Boy on the Moon from Amazon and will do likewise with Southern Highway Gospel Companion. No reason why you shouldn't get payed  that way - I ca

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Ian Price said:

Bury my Heart at Wounded Knee made quite an impression on me when I read it some 35 years ago, and was one of the relatively few books I chose to keep when I needed to get rid of most of those I owned, ten years or so ago.  If you enjoy this book you will also enjoy Son of the Morning Star by Evan S Connell, about the Battle of the Little Bighorn and General Custer. 

I read Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee back when I was in eighth grade and it is probably the most impactful book I ever read. It was very powerful as a young teen. I went through a phase of reading some heavy non fiction back then. I read the Connell book as an adult. I think it might have been the age. It didn't leave the impact of Brown's work. I've often wondered if it would hit me the same if I reread it now close to 50 years later.

Just started Boy by Roald Dahl today - got me hooked right from the start. It's a 2-book edition ... Going Solo is the 2nd one. First one is about his family and younger days - 2nd one includes his time in the RAF.

"'For You,' Lawrence Kirsch's mammoth hardcover collection of Springsteen stories from the rock troubadour's most devoted fans, is not a well-written book in the traditional sense. Some of the accounts meander along for a while before just sputtering out,or seem to exist only for the purpose of imparting Too Much Information — there are some things even your fellow Springsteen junkies don't need to know, like which Bruce album was playing during your first sexual experience. That's just icky.

But somehow, those less polished pieces add to the book's charm — and taken together with some of more insightful entries they help form what, in the end, turns out to be one of the most fascinating and moving books I've ever read.

In reading "For You," at first it's hard to believe that one performer could possibly have touched this many people this deeply — lifted them from depression, kept them from suicide, helped them through divorce or the death of a parent, or worse, a child. But story after story reveals just how much Springsteen's music and his almost superhuman presence on the concert stage have penetrated people's lives and, in as much as it is possible for music to do so, made them whole.

In fact, there's a running theme of these reminiscences, one that is sure to warm any Bruce fan's heart: that you are not crazy. Not crazy for seeing dozens or even hundreds of concerts; not crazy for feeling that Springsteen's songs and lyrics have actually helped carry you through some of life's toughest moments; not crazy to think that this man whom you've never met has and continues to fill some kind of void in your life."
Just under 300 copies remaining. Check it out here: http://www.ForyouBrucebook.com
Peter Chianca
Blogness on the Edge of Town

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

image.png.706a4ebd5ccd85e3cbdceb348fb9fbf3.png

I really like every Stephen King book I've read.  This is huge - 1,166 pages.  I felt the last few chapters dragged and I wanted it to be over by the time the spider came into it.  Anyway, it's not so much the horror as the descriptions of the people and small towns across America that I love in all his stories.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 2:06 PM, Rizla said:

I am reading another Ben Aaronovitch police fantasy novel. 
Lies Sleeping
It's from the library :D

51VMcLh2OIL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm on the fifth of the series now. Foxglove Summer. Have immensely enjoyed them all so far.

Police procedurals not my thing. Police procedurals with the supernatural & humour very much my thing.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Just in the third of this trilogy . Excellent story teller , very thin on metaphor and analogy , focuses on pace and story . Quite a lot of dated tech stuff , always a risk I guess, and 20 pages on a visit to ikea in the 2nd book a bit superfluous . Very easy to pick up casually . Love Lisbeth too ! 

EBDEEB9E-09E4-4071-B170-8F76DB1C932E.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 7:54 PM, Ninethumbs said:

I'm on the fifth of the series now. Foxglove Summer. Have immensely enjoyed them all so far.

Police procedurals not my thing. Police procedurals with the supernatural & humour very much my thing.

These are great - very readable, great humour and the premise is literally fantastic. Really Love the different Rivers. So Cleverly done.

"Elizabeth is Missing" by Emma Healey - I saw the dramatisation with Glenda Jackson as Maud, which was beautifully done, and thought 'I must read the book'. Having just finished it, it really is a tour de force - so well constructed and touching. The awfulness of Maud's plight is really well presented. Very impressive writing, and I'll look for more by this author.

"Always Gardenia" by Betsy Hanson is slighter, by comparison, but addresses the problems of a widow making a new life for herself on her own. It's a little more mannered (comparisons with Barbara Pym's novels are made on the jacket) but has charm and some grit. 

6 hours ago, frankie80 said:

Don't know much about Harry. Is it an interesting read?

Yes, although it concentrates mainly on his songs it still gives a good version of his life story.

• 2 weeks later...

"Fire Cannot Kill A Dragon", all the dirt from behind the scenes of Game Of Thrones :P

I haven't got this yet.  I reserved it from the library when I saw that they had a copy on order, and I was first in the queue.  That was about a month ago, and there was no sign that they even had the book yet.
Then we were locked down again, and the libraries are closed. :(

But wait!  An email arrived today to tell me that they are going to do a click-and-collect service at the library, although no browsing is allowed.  And reserved books can be picked up.  I looked at the status of my reservation and at long last saw the words "In Transit".  This means it's arrived at its home library and is on the way to mine :D

91xDUUPlW6L.jpg

NJ Radio Interview:
"For You" is a great compliment to "Letter To You" in that you can listen to Bruce pay tribute to his past while seeing it in all it's "Glory Days" right in front of you.
https://nj1015.com/for-you-is-perfect-compliment-to-letter-to-you-for-bruce-fans-opinion/?trackback=fbshare_mobilefbclid=IwAR2L8Xeew6VHiECL8_FpOIrXAGmp5OhswkwRcr1NxXbGDGgb2VDTCiJQReg