Greasy Lake Community

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Right now I'm re-reading Custom of the Country by Edith Wharton in honor of her 150th birthday. It's a personal favorite of mine, because Undine Spragg, the main character, has no match in her combina

I read both of the books written by @Jerseyforniarecently.  Both were so enjoyable because they brought out many different emotions.  I highly recommend them.  

The Book Worms Christmas tree for our church tree festival - spot a couple you know!

Posted Images

Apart from the Spanish thriller I mentioned a few pages back....470 odd pages, I have been re reading all the shortest novels on my shelf.

I think the shortest so far has been " the Fall " by Sartre at about 90 pages. Also had Claire Mackintosh , Albert Camus  and Ray Bradbury. Starting a new one tonight....but I've forgotten what it is !!

On 3/19/2021 at 7:00 PM, robk1 said:

Apart from the Spanish thriller I mentioned a few pages back....470 odd pages, I have been re reading all the shortest novels on my shelf.

I think the shortest so far has been " the Fall " by Sartre at about 90 pages. Also had Claire Mackintosh , Albert Camus  and Ray Bradbury. Starting a new one tonight....but I've forgotten what it is !!

Well, I did that one and am now on Laurie Lee...a Rose For Winter...122 pages. Pretty sure I haven't read it before...but it has been on the shelf for 32 years !

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jimmy James said:

I love all his books. Takes historical facts and turns them into suspenseful thriller. 

Ive never heard of him...til now. Looks right up my brothers street . Do you need to to read them in order ?

1 hour ago, robk1 said:

Ive never heard of him...til now. Looks right up my brothers street . Do you need to to read them in order ?

The Cotton Malone Books yes. (which is most of them) 

Another great author in the same vein is James Rollins. But his fiction is a bit more far fetched! But I enjoy the hell out of both. 

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Quite a few pages back somebody alerted me to an author called Barbara Pym and I have since read all of her books that our library has. In the Guardian this weekend there is a long and glowing review of an new biography...so who ever it was might want to check it out ( the review or the book itself)

After a disappointing and frustrating run of factual books, I was happy to read the new Mandy Morton story concerning The No. 2 Feline Detective Agency, "A Pocket Full of Pie", which is the ninth book in the series.

Pastry-loving puss-cat sleuths Hettie and Tilly discover which cat or cats murdered local Whisker FM radio presenters under cover of busy Easter time 'bake off', cricket match and 'The Sound of Music' events. Yes, it is all as daft as it looks but doesn't shy away from the grim nature of detective work despite the 'cosy crime' parochial setting.

• Haha 1

image.png.792b38a3eb34bf1af027898a4aac9d57.png

A Guardian Best Book of the Year

“A gripping study of white power… Explosive.”
—New York Times

“Helps explain how we got to today’s alt-right.”
—Terry Gross, Fresh Air

The white power movement in America wants a revolution.

Returning to a country ripped apart by a war they felt they were not allowed to win, a small group of Vietnam veterans and disgruntled civilians who shared their virulent anti-communism and potent sense of betrayal concluded that waging war on their own country was justified. The command structure of their covert movement gave women a prominent place. They operated with discipline, made tragic headlines in Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Oklahoma City, and are resurgent under President Trump. Based on a decade of deep immersion in previously classified FBI files and on extensive interviews, Bring the War Hometells the story of American paramilitarism and the birth of the alt-right.

“A much-needed and troubling revelation… The power of Belew’s book comes, in part, from the fact that it reveals a story about white-racist violence that we should all already know.”
—The Nation

“Fascinating… Shows how hatred of the federal government, fears of communism, and racism all combined in white-power ideology and explains why our responses to the movement have long been woefully inadequate.”
—Slate

“Superbly comprehensive…supplants all journalistic accounts of America’s resurgent white supremacism.”
—Pankaj Mishra, The Guardian

The Lady And The Unicorn by Tracy Chevalier

image.png.f469b9ac604196f8c58abea49f76ce4d.png

https://www.tchevalier.com/unicorn

A fictional account of the creation of the six Lady And The Unicorn tapestries which are the Musée de Cluny in Paris.  I have seen them and they are simply breathtaking.  The pictures on the museum website show every detail.

https://www.musee-moyenage.fr/collection/oeuvre/la-dame-a-la-licorne.html

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

"The Bromeliad" by Terry Pratchett, comprising "Truckers", "Diggers" and "Wings" - wise and funny, thoughtful and thought-provoking, the best kind of reassuring company for times of uncertainty and upheaval. 

I've had a lovely time recently, re-reading some of my childhood books. I'm so glad I've kept them all these years. The Enid Blyton's are full of lashings of ginger beer, potted meat, jugs of cream, home made scones and villains! Simply splendid :D

20210526_133416.jpg

I'm reading an old children's book too - The Box Of Delights by John Masefield.
I never read it as a child, although I think I had the earlier one, The Midnight Folk, possibly from the library - but I couldn't get into it.  They are just the sort of books I should have liked, but there was a big problem.  The name of the main character was the same as my name - but he was a boy!   I just couldn't get past that.  It made me feel really uncomfortable. 

For those who don't know, it is the same name as the boy in The Snow Queen which I just about coped with because it was foreign and pronounced differently, more like Guy.

• Haha 1

There was a lass in the same year as me at Gosforth called Kay. I'd never heard that name before and thought it was so beautiful - rather like her. Liked the name ever since.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Rizla said:

I'm reading an old children's book too - The Box Of Delights by John Masefield.
I never read it as a child, although I think I had the earlier one, The Midnight Folk, possibly from the library - but I couldn't get into it.  They are just the sort of books I should have liked, but there was a big problem.  The name of the main character was the same as my name - but he was a boy!   I just couldn't get past that.  It made me feel really uncomfortable. 

For those who don't know, it is the same name as the boy in The Snow Queen which I just about coped with because it was foreign and pronounced differently, more like Guy.

On a similar theme, the Famous Five books (in case anyone doesn't know) has a Georgina who really wants to be George (I've always liked the name Georgina). It was only when I read the stories again recently that I noticed two other characters in a couple of the books - Henrietta who wanted to be Henry and Harriet who insisted on being called Harry. Old Enid B was ahead of her time, eh? ;)

• Haha 1

I'm almost positive that I bought this book at Heathrow airport in 1978 before embarking on my first trip to the States. So excited was I about that holiday that I never got around to reading it :o. Funny how you remember such things. So I pulled it out of the cupboard (it's been in more than one cupboard), almost 43 years later ... and I really enjoyed it!

20210601_162314.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...