Greasy Lake Community

Whatcha reading?

22 hours ago, robk1 said:

I have been reading; Second Chance by Sian James, which I bought on spec a few weeks ago. I am enjoying it quite a lot.

I also bought at the same shop ( Browsers in Porthmadog )a Kate Roberts which Sian translated

By weird co incidence, her obituary is in the Guardian newspaper today , which i only really spotted cos I was reading Don Everly's.  She died about three weeks ago.

That's uncanny and fairly unsettling timing, isn't it?

Richard Osman's "The Thursday Murder Club".

A retirement village in Kent, where very different characters meet up as "The Thursday Murder Club" to look into 'cold cases'.  

A page-turner, a very interesting concept, and I can't say much because of the risk of spoilers! 

I will say that quite a bit of willing suspension of disbelief is necessary, and then just go along for the ride. It's an odd one. 

^ Don't know why the sad face.  I shall turn to it with relief after ditching a book I am not enjoying at all. 
I have read more than I normally would as it was given to me, but I have had enough now so have read spoilers in case she asks me about it.  :P

Sara Sheridan's "The Fair Botanists", which was a present.

Another one where suspending disbelief is a prerequisite but an engaging read, where fictional characters and events are woven in to real events with real people (eg the Botanic Gardens being moved from Leith to Inverleith, and George IV visiting Edinburgh).

Some characters and situations are more plausible and sympathetic than others but it kept me turning the pages:-)

Now back to Neil Gunn's short stories - some of which I've found engaging and thought-provoking.

Got a weird urge to reread all the books of Wilbur Smith, Fredrick Forsyth, Jeffrey Archer, Arthur Hailey and Erich Segal which I had read may be about 30 years back. Bought them all last week and just started Hotel. 

• Like 3

"Devil May Care" by Sebastian Faulks ("writing as Ian Fleming").

I found it in the local village phoned box library  I've not read any of the Bond books but understand they're a bit clunky so this seems to capture the style perfectly! I'm not sure I'll bother to finish it although I've really enjoyed some of Faulks' other books.

I was particularly taken by this description of the villain :D

"He became obsessed by English culture and all that rather dreary stuff about cricket and fair play and tea-time. He thought it was all a gigantic fraud. He took it far more seriously than any English person. He made a fetish of British foreign policy and the Empire and thought he could show how brutal and unfair it had all been. I suppose the whole process must have taken some years to come to fruition but, to cut a long story short, he hated England because he felt it had laughed at him, and he decided to devote his life to destroying it."

• Haha 1

It looks like the new Richard Osman novel is out. Now the option to borrow books from the library is available again, I might check whether there's a waiting list for it.

Finished the Neil Gunn short stories last night - some worked for me and some didn't, which is fair enough given their brevity.

I've got a nice big book about Protest songs to read next, thanks to the charity shop, and I'm hoping it'll be a good read.

BACK TO WORK/SCHOOL SPRINGSTEEN BOOK SALE!
SALE: SEPTEMBER 7-SEPTEMBER 20, 2021
If you have been thinking of buying this limited edition coffee table book, now is the time! Take advantage of this first ever sale & secure this fan favorite book before it is sold out.

LESS THAN 100 COPIES REMAIN
ORDER HERE:
www.ForyouBrucebook.com

Book Cover Photo.jpg

I received my copy of Richard Osman's Thursday Murder Club and am thoroughly enjoying it so far. Many a chortle passes my lips.

I always have an Ian Rankin book on the go at the same time ... so glad I stumbled across him.

• Like 2

Last night i finished Here We Are by Graham Swift...rather underwhelmed by it, but nice and short.

Anyone read others by him ?

I know a couple have been made into films

1 hour ago, JoleBlonAlba said:

Got 'Unrequited Infatuations' by Steve to read, so I'll put the hefty book on protest songs to one side and dive in now;-)

Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Celebrating Springsteen's BDAY with an extension to the Limited Edition Collector's Book "For You" Sale.

SAVE 15%!
Includes several photos from the 1979 No Nukes shows
Order your copy here:
http://www.thelightindarkness.com/foryou/order/

FAN PHOTO FRONT COVER PLUS OTHER BRUCE BOOKS.jpg

On 8/27/2021 at 3:07 AM, JoleBlonAlba said:

Richard Osman's "The Thursday Murder Club".

A retirement village in Kent, where very different characters meet up as "The Thursday Murder Club" to look into 'cold cases'.  

A page-turner, a very interesting concept, and I can't say much because of the risk of spoilers! 

I will say that quite a bit of willing suspension of disbelief is necessary, and then just go along for the ride. It's an odd one. 

Enjoyable. Thanks for mentioning it.

A fun read which I got through in two days although the various "reveals" and twists at the end are a bit far-fetched and there were a few obvious inconsistencies.

The only other thriller/whodunnit that I've read recently had a similar structure - a couple of chapters from one character's perspective in one time-frame ("Clare - Now") then switch to another character in a different time-frame ("Dave - three days ago") and repeat. At least the headings make it easier to follow than a Christopher Nolan film!

download.jpeg

15 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Off to Tenerife for a month soon, my reading material arrived this week, think I will start with this one : -

Fear.jpg

I read that recently but it now all seems so long ago and all the revelations had been discussed at length when it was published. Interesting how some of the early gaffes and crises seem like small beer compared to what happened next then next then...

I saw his niece's book in the library this week but didn't get it. Maybe next time.