Sign in to follow this  
Cozmic Kid

ME$$I

He's on a mission to be the best player EVER...and he's going to succeed I reckon, the bloke is a football genius, a joy to watch.

I think i was slightly better during my Llanfair Caereinion under 16s days - but he's pretty good.

I think i was slightly better during my Llanfair Caereinion under 16s days - but he's pretty good.

You should have concentrated on your football career James, the career as a comedian is in trouble ;)

Messi just scored his 18th (?) hattrick, breaking the Barça all time scoring record of Cesar Rodriguez. Messi now stands at 234 goals for Barcelona. At 24 years old. And it was 3 great goals again. No tap-ins, no penalties.

His stats in the last 4 seasons (since Pep Guardiola became his coach):

2008/2009 - 51 matches, 38 goals, 17 assists - a goal every 102 min

2009/2010 - 53 matches, 47 goals, 15 assists - a goal every 92 min

2010/2011 - 55 matches, 53 goals, 28 assists - a goal every 86 min

and so far

2011/2012 - 45 matches, 54 goals, 26 assists - a goal every 72 min

Unrivaled

Update

Season 2011/2012

50 matches - 60 goals - 32 assists

38 in La Liga (in 30 matches)

14 in the Champions League (in 9 matches)

1 in the UEFA Supercup

2 in the Copa del Rey

3 in the Spanish Supercup

2 in the FIFA Club World Cup

Sure, 60 goals is brutal, but what impresses me even more are the 32 assists. That's 11 more than Xavi and Iniesta have combined.

Update

Season 2011/2012

50 matches - 60 goals - 32 assists

38 in La Liga (in 30 matches)

14 in the Champions League (in 9 matches)

1 in the UEFA Supercup

2 in the Copa del Rey

3 in the Spanish Supercup

2 in the FIFA Club World Cup

Sure, 60 goals is brutal, but what impresses me even more are the 32 assists. That's 11 more than Xavi and Iniesta have combined.

Wonder what he will be like when he reaches his peak?

61st goal of the season last night..simply stunning achievement...and yet Pele reckons he's not the best in the world today ?

Pele must be drunk :lol:

61st goal of the season last night..simply stunning achievement...and yet Pele reckons he's not the best in the world today ?

Also a new record. Most goals scored at home for any player I believe.

Leo will prolly know the exact stats.

It's 61 goals and 34 assists now. That means he was immediately involved in 95 goals this season. 95!!! But there are still people who say he couldn't do it without Xavi and Iniesta. Laughable.

And no, I don't know the exact stats. I can't keep track with all the records he's breaking. I know he's the first player since Gerd Müller (1973/74?) to score more than 60 goals in a season. Müller scored 67 back then. With at least 9 games to go, it's very likely that Messi will top that number.

And Pele's a fool. He says that Messi has to overtake Neymar first to become the best player in the world. Neymar? What did he do so far? He's just bitter that the best player of all times is from Argentina.

It's 61 goals and 34 assists now. That means he was immediately involved in 95 goals this season. 95!!! But there are still people who say he couldn't do it without Xavi and Iniesta. Laughable.

And no, I don't know the exact stats. I can't keep track with all the records he's breaking. I know he's the first player since Gerd Müller (1973/74?) to score more than 60 goals in a season. Müller scored 67 back then. With at least 9 games to go, it's very likely that Messi will top that number.

And Pele's a fool. He says that Messi has to overtake Neymar first to become the best player in the world. Neymar? What did he do so far? He's just bitter that the best player of all times is from Argentina.

That does sound like a foolish statement by Pele, one of many. But it is expected since he was overrated himself.

Ronaldo is good at making records as well. 7 hat-tricks this season, and most scored goals away.

Ronaldo is good at making records as well. 7 hat-tricks this season, and most scored goals away.

He also plays another impressive season. I wonder how good he and Messi would be if they wouldn't have each other to compete with on a weekly basis.

Yeah messi is canny but no Ben Arfa ;)

That was a great goal! But lets see how long it takes him to do it again.

That was him doing it again, he scored a cracker in the FA Cup previously ;)

Guess we'll have to sign him then. ;)

Hoy !

Ben Arfa is a Mag and that's where he'll stay for the time being...unless you wanna trade him for one of your players ? ...say maybe Messi ? :rolleyes: and a few million :D

Hoy !

Ben Arfa is a Mag and that's where he'll stay for the time being...unless you wanna trade him for one of your players ? ...say maybe Messi ? :rolleyes: and a few million :D

You wouldn't want Messi. First, he's nothing without Xavi and Iniesta, and second, he could never to it in the mighty Premier League. ;)

Watch out, Gerd Müller. He's coming...

52 matches - 63 goals - 34 assists

So that's now 201 goals in the last 4 seasons.

Now that Messi's season is over...

2008/2009 - 51 matches, 38 goals, 17 assists - a goal every 102 min

2009/2010 - 53 matches, 47 goals, 15 assists - a goal every 92 min

2010/2011 - 55 matches, 53 goals, 28 assists - a goal every 86 min

2011/2012 - 60 matches, 73 goals, 32 assists* - a goal every 71,5 min

(The last one to came close to scoring 73 goals a season was Gerd Müller in 1972/73, scoring 67 goals.)

*Different source, different stat. Some sources have him on 29 assists, while some have him on 37. I had a look at all the goals of last season and come up with 32.

That means he was directly involved in 105 goals, scoring or assisting a goal every 50 minutes!

If you also count the second last pass before a goal (the assist for the assist), he was involved in 125 goals. Barça scored a total of 190 (!!) goals last season. Messi had his boot in 66% of them.

He has now scored a total of 253 goals in 329 games for FC Barcelona, making him the all-time top-scorer of FC Barcelona in competitive games. He just turned 25.

He is the youngest player to win the Balon d'Or 3 times in a row and he could be (should be) the first one to win it 4 times in a row.

He has been the Champions League top-scorer for 4 years in a row!

He is the player with the most goals in Champions League or European Cup knock-out games.

He is the only player to score and assist in 6 different competitions in one calender year (2011, La Liga, CL, Copa del Rey, Supercopa, UEFA Supercup and FIFA Club World Cup).

He scored the fastest Hattrick for FC Barcelona against Espanyol (May 2012) in 14 min and 50 sec.

I could go on and on and on...

Messi with Argentina

"He can't be the best in the world, unless he does it also with his country!"

Heard time and time again. But now, he also does it with his country.

9 goals and 3 assists in the last 9 games and some truly e-spec-ta-cu-lar performances.

Messi without Xavi and Iniesta

"Without Xavi and Iniesta he's nothing!"

Also a very popular opinion. But...

Of the 73 goals Messi scored last season, only 8 were assisted by Xavi and Iniesta.

In the last 4 years Barça had to play 7 games without Xavi and Iniesta, but with Messi. They won 6, drew 1 and Messi scored 8 goals.

Lionel Messi turned 25 yesterday.

appsman77.jpg

I don't care. He is the best there is, BY FAR!!