Sign in to follow this  
Cozmic Kid

ME$$I

Let's play "Name That Team"...

Armani, Foyth, Mercado, Lisandro Martinez, Montiel, Paredes, Lo Celso, Tagliafico, Gonzalo Martinez, Lautaro Martinez

Yes, that's just 10 players. Because the 11th would have given it away: Lionel Messi.

That's the team that Argentina put out against Venezuela yesterday!! Subbed in were Matias Suarez, Walter Kannemann, Domingo Blanco, Dario Benedetto and Roberto Pereyra. The Who is Who of international football! And people still wonder why Messi can't win anything with Argentina! First it's constantly underperforming teammates like Aguero, Higuain and Di Maria, and now they surround him with average at best players that apart from one or two exceptions nobody ever heard of!

Still don't understand why Messi is still putting up with that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MacBruce said:

Just look at that last goal from Messi's hat-trick. Even the Betis fans could not believe what they were seeing and cheered and applauded that piece of utter genius. We are very fortunate to be around and have the TV coverage to see the greatest player who has ever played the game in his element. I would be very doubtful we will ever see his like again.

He scored a very similar goal before.

It's actually just 49 goals, but who's counting? ;-)

And he usually scores them when the team needs it the most. 35 of them gave his team the lead or tied the game.

• Like 1

Most freekick goals in the last 10 years....

MESSI 33

Juventus 31

Real Madrid 30

Man City 29

19 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Maybe 2nd or 3rd Roy, this man beats them all :-

"ignore the boogie man Lionel, you are the best, yes you are" .... "by the way have you any cream buns handy"

0A13EEF3000005DC-4338642-Lionel_Messi_an

• Like 1

Just going by skills and individual numbers, Messi's worst season was better than Maradona's best. But Maradona had a passion and fierceness that Messi oftentimes lacks.

But I'm happy for him that he won a 6th Ballon d'Or. He deserved it. I have the feeling the closer he comes to the end of his career, the more people start to appreciate him again.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, newcastle roy said:

"Now Lionel, I thought I showed you how it is done, you are this close to being the best, yes you are" ....

0A13EEF3000005DC-4338642-Lionel_Messi_an

• Haha 1

In the last 10 years Messi scored 522 goals in 521 games!!! The only one coming close is CR with 477 goals in 489 games. Why do so many still say that CR is the better goalscorer?

Who's the player with the most assist in the last 10 years? Messi

Who's the player with the most created chances? Messi

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

In the last 10 years Messi scored 522 goals in 521 games!!! The only one coming close is CR with 477 goals in 489 games. Why do so many still say that CR is the better goalscorer?

Maybe CR scored more bigger goals? This is a question, not a gotcha! 

As in my signature Ted Simmons had a lot of RBI's in his career more than Johnny Bench, but Johnny had a lot more bigger RBI's. Johnny Bench was in the HOF 25 years ago, and Ted is just being recognized now. 

13 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

Who's the player with the most assist in the last 10 years? Messi

Who's the player with the most created chances? Messi

Who`s they player who played alongside Xavi & Iniesta in the last 10 years ? Messi

Interesting to note that Barcelona have not been the same force without these two, dont get me wrong obviously I think Messi is an incredible player and scores incredible goals, but he cannot "carry" a team (club or country) like Maradona did.

4 hours ago, dr winston oboogie said:

Who`s they player who played alongside Xavi & Iniesta in the last 10 years ? Messi

Interesting to note that Barcelona have not been the same force without these two, dont get me wrong obviously I think Messi is an incredible player and scores incredible goals, but he cannot "carry" a team (club or country) like Maradona did.

Messi IS carrying this Barcelona team. He's been doing that for years already. Xavi left Barça in 2015. Iniesta has been gone for what, two years? Guess who won the spanish league in the last two years?

Are Barça as a whole worse than they were some years ago? You bet! But that's not just down to Xavi and Iniesta. Busquets isn't the player he used to be. The rest of the midfield is old and slow and gets overrun by younger teams like we've seen for example against Liverpool last season. For years they had one of the best right-backs in the history of the game, Dani Alves. They never managed to replace him. They also never found another Puyol. The bench is weak.

If it weren't for Messi, this team wouldn't have won anything in the last years. And the only reason they still played a role in the CL is Messi.

Maradona's a legend, but his achievements are vastly overrated. Yes, a spectacular World Cup in 1986 and two, three great seasons with Napoli. That's basically it. Zidane's 1998 World Cup wasn't much worse than Maradona's in 1986. But Zidane won a European Championship, the Champions League, several league titles... So is it fair to say Zidane was greater than Maradona?

17 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Maybe CR scored more bigger goals? This is a question, not a gotcha! 

As in my signature Ted Simmons had a lot of RBI's in his career more than Johnny Bench, but Johnny had a lot more bigger RBI's. Johnny Bench was in the HOF 25 years ago, and Ted is just being recognized now. 

It's a funny thing with these two. Years ago people used to say that CR wasn't a big game player, while Messi scored and shined in practically every final he played. Then it switched. CR banged in goals usually in the final stages of the season, while Messi didn't.

I don't have the overall numbers, but I'd bet that Messi scored more goals in semi-finals and finals than Ronaldo.

And let's not get into overall performances. Because while CR scored in most of his finals, he was practically a no-show in many of them.

• Like 1