Greasy Lake Community

7 hours ago, LeoGetz said:

It's a funny thing with these two. Years ago people used to say that CR wasn't a big game player, while Messi scored and shined in practically every final he played. Then it switched. CR banged in goals usually in the final stages of the season, while Messi didn't.

I don't have the overall numbers, but I'd bet that Messi scored more goals in semi-finals and finals than Ronaldo.

And let's not get into overall performances. Because while CR scored in most of his finals, he was practically a no-show in many of them.

Could you imagine the goals they would score if somehow they played in the same team,,fooking hell

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I5 ON A MI55ION

Hahaha I here the fat cheat got sacked again

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, newcastle roy said:

He sent a fax ? 

I thought he had a few quid ?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53911105

Burofax is just the local term for a registered letter. Has nothing to do with an actual fax.

But this is all so sad. People not closely involved with what's going on with Barça can't even begin to comprehend how inept this current board of directors is. I have never seen anything like this.

• Sad 1

I repeat what I said some time ago Leo, people underestimated the influence and load Puyol,Xavi and Inestia carried in that team, so true that sometimes you dont know what you have got till it is gone, and Leo is not able to carry that load on his own.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, dr winston oboogie said:

I repeat what I said some time ago Leo, people underestimated the influence and load Puyol,Xavi and Inestia carried in that team, so true that sometimes you dont know what you have got till it is gone, and Leo is not able to carry that load on his own.

100%! Although, Pique and Mascherano were a pretty solid pair of centre-backs in the absence of Puyol. But the club never managed to replace Xavi and Iniesta. Messi carried that load for long enough. Just imagine: since the start of the 2017/2018 season Messi has been the player with the most goals, most assists, most created chances, most key passes, most through balls and most successful one on ones in the top five leagues in Europe. He had to do it all by himself.

But the reason he leaves is not because of the players around him. Sure he'd like to win titles, and with the squad assembled around him it got more difficult with every year, but it's the institutional crisis that drives him out of the club. These people in charge of the club are thugs. It's actually a miracle it took this long till he was fed up with them. He was loyal to a fault and that robbed him of at least a couple more years with a competitive team.

• Like 2

I don't follow football that much (a couple of matches per year), and I support no team, but: wouldn't it be sad if Messi left Barcelona after a 2-8 defeat? At this point of his career, legacy should count more than money, or any additional trophy (with the possible exception of a World Cup victory with his national team, of course).

20 hours ago, Frank said:

I don't follow football that much (a couple of matches per year), and I support no team, but: wouldn't it be sad if Messi left Barcelona after a 2-8 defeat? At this point of his career, legacy should count more than money, or any additional trophy (with the possible exception of a World Cup victory with his national team, of course).

It should not end like this. But he's going to earn less money, leave his home and friends, damage his legacy... and he still wants to leave. That's why one can only image how bad things must be at Barça.

Messi will absolutely risk damaging his legacy if he leaves Barca. Ronaldo and Messi’s achievements are similar and it’s hard to argue who is best. But the PL and CL has only ever been achieved twice in the same season (99 and 08) and Ronaldo has already done that historic double. Messi has no need to try to emulate it, and by even attempting to it can only provoke that unnecessary comparison. 

2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

Messi will absolutely risk damaging his legacy if he leaves Barca. Ronaldo and Messi’s achievements are similar and it’s hard to argue who is best. But the PL and CL has only ever been achieved twice in the same season (99 and 08) and Ronaldo has already done that historic double. Messi has no need to try to emulate it, and by even attempting to it can only provoke that unnecessary comparison. 

I think the big difference between the two is that Messi only played for one team, which also has a peculiar historical and regional identity. If he finishes his career there, he will be remembered as Barcelona's greatest player ever (despite the legion of incredible players who put on that short in the club history). If I were standing in his shoes, I would call it quit instead of leaving (if the club situation is really so insufferable). Even from the economic point of view (I mean 'post career sponsoring' contracts), preserving his legacy would make much more sense in the long run.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, doesthisbusstop said:

I suspect you'd be the only one coming up with that exact comparison. ;-)

If Messi goes to England, any comparison to Ronaldo's time there is useless. Messi goes there in the fall/winter of his career, while Ronaldo entered his prime. I have no doubt that Messi would have been the PL's best player, would he have gone there a few years ago. 5-10 years ago he would have probably broke all kinds of scoring and assisting records. But now I'm afraid that he's physically not in the proper shape anymore.

24 minutes ago, Frank said:

I think the big difference between the two is that Messi only played for one team, which also has a peculiar historical and regional identity. If he finishes his career there, he will be remembered as Barcelona's greatest player ever (despite the legion of incredible players who put on that short in the club history). If I were standing in his shoes, I would call it quit instead of leaving (if the club situation is really so insufferable). Even for the economic point of view (I mean 'post career sponsoring' contracts), preserving his legacy would make much more sense in the long run.

I wish he'd just stop instead of going anywhere else. But when all your life revolves around playing football, it must be very hard to suddenly stop at the age of 33. Especially when you're the best in the world and your knees don't hurt (yet).

6 minutes ago, LeoGetz said:

I wish he'd just stop instead of going anywhere else. But when all your life revolves around playing football, it must be very hard to suddenly stop at the age of 33. Especially when you're the best in the world and your knees don't hurt (yet).

I doubt he'd quit, especially because the next World Cup is only two seasons from now. That being said, he has much more to lose than to gain by leaving Catalonia, even considering the most lavish contract that some sheik or Chinese billionaire might offer him for joining their team. 

On 8/26/2020 at 1:07 PM, LeoGetz said:

But the reason he leaves is not because of the players around him. Sure he'd like to win titles, and with the squad assembled around him it got more difficult with every year, but it's the institutional crisis that drives him out of the club. These people in charge of the club are thugs. It's actually a miracle it took this long till he was fed up with them. He was loyal to a fault and that robbed him of at least a couple more years with a competitive team.

In his last contract when he insisted on the free transfer clause that should have been a wake up call to the club's front office.  Essentially it was a "get your act together or else" threat.  They didn't, it's a shame but here we are.  

As a MC fan I'm not all that excited about him very possibly landing there.  For starters, I think managing his inevitable decline is a potential distraction no club needs.  Then there is the money; sure he'll probably take a pay cut but he is still going to get paid a boat load of cash.  I'm just not a fan of throwing big money at aging stars.  Then there is the fact the club has more pressing needs; the back line is in need of shoring up and there are some inevitable departures on the near term horizon.  In my view they would be better served by spending the time and attention addressing their immediate needs and planning for the future.  Then there is the fact this is a new league, a new club and a new system; there is no guarantee the transition goes smoothly.   

Messi is the greatest player to play the game but... hard pass.  That said if he ends up there I will view with some interest Messi and KDB teaming up.  I suspect it won't produce many trophies but it may well make for some beautiful moments.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AMIW said:

La Liga rules that he is still under contRact and the 700million releas cause must be paid

@Born To Walk dream of a transfer to York city is ruined

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53967083

What else would they say? If Messi would end his career, that's one thing, but going to your biggest league-rival? La Liga's value and revenue would drop even further.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, AMIW said:

La Liga rules that he is still under contRact and the 700million releas cause must be paid

If only York had followed Daventry Town by turning their pitch into a beer garden with a giant screen TV on the side of a bus to make an extra few quid.

Rumours of Messi joining New York City though so still hope if he turns up at the wrong York.

17 hours ago, AMIW said:

624 million plus wages for a 33 year old...….wonder which mugs will pay that.