CmonMrTrouble

Our Prayers for the Nappi family - 5 years today

One time Rich said that if anything ever happened to him, he wanted people to tell stories of funny things he did that were good for a few chuckles.

So here is one of my favorite Rich memories from 2002 ------ RIP my friend, we will all miss you

The laundry thread

does anyone know if he did make it to the show? I hope so :(

My sympathies to Rich's family. He was a true hero and touched the lives of so many. All of us that had the pleasure of knowing him are better off for it.

I didn't know Rich at all, but feel as if I've just met him after reading these posts. A terrible tragedy.

These firefighters are what make New York, well ... New York.

I hope his family will some day get comfort from reading these messages that convey what he meant to so many people.

Another "old-timer" peeking out from the woodwork to say how sorry I am that Rich has left us. It's been a sad day since we learned this news this morning, and Karsten and I have just had a sad toast in memory of Rich. I too remember worrying about him and other Lakers on 9/11, until we knew they had all made it through. And I won't forget Rich's generous nature when it came to trading discs, and his unrestrained sense of humor that so many people have mentioned. He touched us all in some way, and he will be deeply missed. Condolences to his family and peace and strength to them, and to all of us.

I hope you requested Jessie's Girl.

More of Rich being Rich and an explanation for all the "Jessie's Girl" references.

Rich actually brought this sign into a show, thanks to those who found the picture

jessiesgirl.jpg

thanks Mikey I just laughed and cried at teh same time seeing that....

I remember that Patti saw the sign and pointed at it and said something like "I don't think that's one of ours"

Very sad to hear this , I remember what seems so long ago in the ,chat room and on the board

Talking to him and many of the people sending there thoughts to his family and friends.RIP big brave man .

Yet another "old school" Laker here. Thanks for posting the laundry thread, Mikey... reading it brought back memories and a smile.

Like so many others, I was numb when I heard the news. I felt compelled to come back here and express my heartfelt condolences to Rich's family and friends during this incredibly sad time. I was lucky enough to have met Rich on several occasions and had stayed connected via Facebook. When I first met Rich in 2002 in Denver, he gave my boys a FDNY shirt. They thought he was THE coolest... a firefighter who gave them such a cool shirt AND an insanely funny guy (in a blatantly juvenile way). I don't have much to add to what's already been said. Rich was kind and crass... his overwhelming kindness was like a big bear hug, and his crassness was so outrageous that you laughed until you cried.

Maybe someone should bring a Jessie's Girl sign to a show in honor of FR7. Maybe I will.

Love and strength to all who are grieving.

Rest peacefully, my friend.

I'm another one of those old timers who haven't been around for a long time...but still, I felt compelled to share a story about Rich just in case there's anyone who hasn't yet gotten a good idea of his character

Many years ago when I was a regular here, I posted venting about someone breaking into my car and stealing a bunch of boots and my car CD player. A few days later, there was a package on my doorstep - a brand new car CD player and a bunch of boots. I did a little sleuthing and traced it back to Rich. He, of course, would never own up to it, but it was definitely from him...it blew my mind that a relative stranger would be so generous.

That's just the kind of guy he was.

At the request of the officers and members of Engine 237, a scholarship fund has been established by the FDNY Foundation, for the Children of Lt. Nappi.

FDNY Foundation

Lieutenant Richard A. Nappi Children's Education Fund

9 Metrotech Center

Brooklyn, NY, 11201

All Donations are tax-deductible. 100% of the donation will be given to the Lieutenant Richard A. Nappi Children's Education Fund.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/bravest-mourn-fallen-firefighter-lt-richard-nappi-article-1.1062918#ixzz1sLoyrqea

Rich was one of the first Lakers I ever met, at a Christmas show in Asbury Park. He always seemed to pop up at events but I don't think I've seen him since the last tour. We argued a lot but he was always spectacularly funny and friendly whenever I saw him... and of course his irascibility and great talent for insult were both part of his considerable, unique charm. It seems impossible to believe that we won't see him again. I met his children in Hershey-- I remember at least one of them has his eyes--and my heart goes out to them and to his wife, who must have the best sense of humor on earth.

Wake/Funeral Info for Rich Nappi

Wake to be held on Thursday and Friday, with a funeral Mass on Saturday for FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi.

By Ryan Bonner Email the author8:10 pm Email Print Comment

‹ Back to Article new

Embed | Share

Moloney's Lake Funeral Home context

Photos (2)

Photos

Credit Olivia Long Credit FDNY Upload Photos and Videos | Search Patch Archive

http://sachem.patch.com/articles/wake-funeral-info-for-rich-nappi/media_attachments/edit?upload_started=1334707898asset[new_asset_attachment_attributes][to_id]2038832asset[new_asset_attachment_attributes][to_type]Articlearticle[new_asset_attachment_attributes][user_id]new_asset_attachment_attributesWake and funeral arrangements have been made for FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi, a Farmingville resident who died while fighting a fire in Brooklyn on Monday.

Wake:

Thursday, April 19 and Friday, April 20 (2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m.) at Moloney's Lake Funeral Home at 132 Ronkonkoma Ave. in Lake Ronkonkoma. A firematic service will be held on Friday at 8 p.m. at the funeral home.

Funeral Mass:

Saturday, April 21 at 10:30 a.m. at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton RC Church located at 800 Portion Road in Lake Ronkonkoma. Burial will follow at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Coram.

Find maps of each location on the Moloney Lake website.

Scholarship Fund

A fund has been established for Nappi's two children. Donations can be mailed to: FDNY Foundation, Lt Nappi Children's Education Fund, 9 Metrotech Center, Brooklyn, N.Y. 11201.

So - for those who are going to attend the wake and/or funeral service - what are ya wearin'?

Someone put this together... rather touching:

“He loved teaching the basics,” Firefighter Caron said. “Hose evolutions and how to search. His No. 1 priority was being safe.”

When he was not working, he was indulging in his passions: his family, Bruce Springsteen and the sports teams he followed.

If he was not doing something with his children, he might be found in Section 306 of Madison Square Garden, where he shared Rangers season tickets with friends for the past 18 years, or with friends and family at Citi Field for a Mets baseball game, or who knows where for a Springsteen show. "

It's no wonder I feel the emotions of empathy thru everyone here, and I never had the pleasure to meet or have a conversation with him. He was passionate in everything he did. Because of the caring people here, I feel I know him, and I feel sadness for the family and friends whom he leaves behind. God Bless you Rich!

I am just seeing this now and am so sad. So sad. I had the pleasure of getting to know Rich and having one or two beers with him before shows over the years. Warm, kind, friendly.... one of those people who loved life and it came right out of him. Thank you, Rich. It was a privilege to know you.

Bob

I'm so sad to read these news.

I remember meeting Rich in Asbury Park in 2002, on an Asbury Park tour by Jean Mikle, in the company of some Greasy Lakers, including our CosmicKid. Rich was such a friendly and very funny guy.

Mr. sixty9chevy still wears proudly the engine7 T-shirt he got from Rich at a tombola in Asbury Park.

I looked at my pics from that wonderful AP trip and there he was, firerich7,sitting on that fence at Wesley Lake, like Bruce did in 1980, the Palace in the background, have a look:

3737313365313938.jpg

Like Anders before me I have some additional memories of Rich before I met him:

I was sitting in front of my computer in Germany after 9/11, shocked by these horrible news about the World Trade Centers, finding Greasy Lake for the very first time. I remember getting glued to my PC, fascinated by this great community I found there. Firerich7 ,his name and what he did to help his fellow New Yorkers back then, I remember strongly, admiring him.

I remember too, like Anders did, sitting there with tears in my eyes.

My wish to belong to this communiy was born these days back in September 2001. 4 weeks later I became a member of Greasy Lake.

RIP Rich.