Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

On 10/23/2018 at 7:47 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

For me, the only reason Halloween isn't the greatest horror film of all time by an absolute landslide is because The Texas Chain Saw Massacre exists. 

Watched the latter today: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2018/10/23/film-review-the-texas-chain-saw-massacre-1974/

....100% agree. Texas is the greatest slasher movie out there..... but you got to love Michael!

17 minutes ago, THUE said:

Texas Chainsaw is a bit more freaky due to how raw the filming is. 

Have you been watching AMCs history of Horror.  Very interesting.  The latest installment showed how Pyscho started a completely different horror experience that set the stage for a Halloween,  with Texas Chainsaw bridging the gap.  The interesting thing about the three films is how legendary they are in the horror genre. They all have the violence,  but there generally is no actual blood to be seen. 

Yeah there's a clear difference between the two - Texas Chain Saw Massacre feels like a student film, whereas Halloween is a lot more professional in its appearance (if that makes sense). 

I don't have AMC mate so unfortunately not, but I have seen a great documentary about Psycho and how Hitchcock made the shower scene. I remember his wife saying that he showed her it and she said "Hitch you can't put this out because you can see Janet Leigh breathing" so that's why we get that random, but not so random, shot of the shower head. 

It is interesting though how graphic, and at the same time not graphic they are. Psycho's only got the one scene with 'blood' hasn't it? And Halloween doesn't have any. Like I wrote in my review above, what Hooper (and Hitchcock and Carpenter) did so well was not relying on the gore. The aspect of a good story is so pivotal and I think modern horror directors really forget that. 

I only watched Psycho all the way through for the first time earlier this year and loved that as well so much that I wrote a review (a shorter one than the TCM and Halloween ones mind you) if you, (or anyone else), want(s) to check it out: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2018/03/18/retro-review-psycho-1960/.

17 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

....100% agree. Texas is the greatest , scariest slasher movie out there..... but you got to love Michael!

They're the two best horrors ever, no doubt about it, but I'd have to think for a while about which one I'd say is the greatest. I'd say Michael Myers is a greater character than Leatherface though, the eeriness created by just him standing there with that music playing is so utterly brilliant. 

Speaking of "scariest horrors", I started watching The Exorcist the other day for my Halloween season film reviews and turned it off about 30 minutes in. For a film often revered as "the scariest of all time", it's utter shite in comparison to The Texas Chain Saw Massacre and Halloween. Priests weren't standing outside cinemas in 1973 telling people to not see that film because of the religious themes, but because they'd clearly seen it themselves and wanted to stop others from wasting their money!

I dont think the Exorcist holds up as well. Its similar to Chainsaw in that audience's had never seen anything like it. Certainly some shocking things in there,  some very taboo content. I mean a little girl stabbing her crotch with a cross is not something you see everyday.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, THUE said:

I dont think the Exorcist holds up as well. Its similar to Chainsaw in that audience's had never seen anything like it. Certainly some shocking things in there,  some very taboo content. I mean a little girl stabbing her crotch with a cross is not something you see everyday.

Yeah I get that. I haven't seen it fully in years but the notable stuff is very, well, notable. 

It's just those first 30 or so minutes man. Incredibly boring. 

16 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Yeah I get that. I haven't seen it fully in years but the notable stuff is very, well, notable. 

It's just those first 30 or so minutes man. Incredibly boring. 

16 hours ago, THUE said:

I have to disagree with this. For me as much as I love TCM, The Exorcist is the greatest horror film ever made. Obviously we were a little more of a traditional religious society then, so a lot of the 'headline' themes were pretty socking at the time, but looking  at the film as a whole I just think it is a true masterpiece in horror. Yes it a slow starter, but I think that is part of getting the normal life Regan lives with her family, and hence forward the transition  . I still find many of the the scenes eye opening even by todays standards .And ironically despite the far more secular society we live in today I don't believe a scene with a 12 year masturbating with a crucifix would get made. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I have to disagree with this. For me as much as I love TCM, The Exorcist is the greatest horror film ever made. Obviously we were a little more of a traditional religious society then, so a lot of the 'headline' themes were pretty socking at the time, but looking  at the film as a whole I just think it is a true masterpiece in horror. Yes it a slow starter, but I think that is part of getting the normal life Regan lives with her family, and hence forward the transition  . I still find many of the the scenes eye opening even by todays standards .And ironically despite the far more secular society we live in today I don't believe a scene with a 12 year masturbating with a crucifix would get made. 

A few hours after I wrote that post I went downstairs and watched the rest of the film. I'm not gonna say too much because I'm writing a review for it (and also for Friday the 13th which I watched immediately afterwards) but it most certainly gets better 40 minutes in. 

I've got a lot to say about the film and I'll be addressing how the 'normal life' feeling is used and also that crucifix scene. I'll post it on here when it's done, but there's another horror film Halloween season review I'll be publishing before those two. 

• Like 1

@Paolo's Circus Story did you see the new Halloween film? Interesting take on the story..... that Michael isnt some death defying super bad cartoon maniac but a psychotic killer no more no less.... loads of nods to the original and a plausible plot line ..... liked the way the iconic mask is used to give an indication of the personality of MM. Great to see Nick Castle reprise his Michael with his slow deliberate movements.

5 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

@Paolo's Circus Story did you see the new Halloween film? Interesting take on the story..... that Michael isnt some death defying super bad cartoon maniac but a psychotic killer no more no less.... loads of nods to the original and a plausible plot line ..... liked the way the iconic mask is used to give an indication of the personality of MM. Great to see Nick Castle reprise his Michael with his slow deliberate movements.

I haven't seen it yet, no, but I'm going to try and see it before the 31st. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I haven't seen it yet, no, but I'm going to try and see it before the 31st. 

I've heard mixed reviews.  My buddy saw it last night said he didn't like it. Was bored by it. Others have said it's great. 

On 10/19/2018 at 4:39 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Just watched another one of my favourites, the original Halloweenhttps://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2018/10/19/film-review-halloween-1978/

A Nightmare on Elm Streethttps://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2018/10/25/film-review-a-nightmare-on-elm-street-1984/

On 10/24/2018 at 3:28 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

A few hours after I wrote that post I went downstairs and watched the rest of the film. I'm not gonna say too much because I'm writing a review for it (and also for Friday the 13th which I watched immediately afterwards) but it most certainly gets better 40 minutes in. 

I've got a lot to say about the film and I'll be addressing how the 'normal life' feeling is used and also that crucifix scene. I'll post it on here when it's done, but there's another horror film Halloween season review I'll be publishing before those two. 

Like I was saying, The Exorcist might well be the most overrated horror film of all time: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2018/10/28/film-review-the-exorcist-1973/

I started to watch The Road but, as usual, managed to press a wrong button so had to start again. Then I wondered if I really wanted to watch something that was going to be so depressing - and wasn't 'real' anyway … so switched it for Collateral. By heck, I enjoyed that one very much.

I wondered if I could go to the last scene of The Road, pressed the wrong thing but decided to watch it anyway.

Cried my blooming eyes out! That young lad was fantastic! Loved it.

Channel 5 has started it's run of Christmas films - usually American.

I watched the last half of one and all of the next one. I've seen them both before.

They're so twee but usually harmless enough … couldn't watch the 3rd one though - two's enough in one go. :)

I watched Eye In The Sky last night - Helen Mirren.

I think I may have seen it before as some bits seemed familiar.  A film about the morality of certain decisions - very good. I'd have given the green light - one versus many. Who'd want to have to make those decisions?