Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

18 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

im watching the full monty

haven't seen it since it was new

its pretty funny

I decided to rent this also as I hadn't seen it since it was out in the theatre. I also ended up watching The Princess Bride which I'd only ever seen snippets of before. Just a light fun afternoon.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Troublette said:

I decided to rent this also as I hadn't seen it since it was or in the theatre. I also ended up watching The Princess Bride which is only ever seen snippets of before. Just a light fun afternoon.

sometimes we just need that

• Like 1

Definitely worth seeing. A documentary with no narration, just letting the words and images speak for themselves. It has a ton of never before seen footage. I know a LOT about this mission and it still kept me captivated and invested. I wanted to stand up and cheer when the re-entry radio blackout ended and the three chutes opened.

An interesting fact: when Mr. "Always Cool and Composed," Neil Armstrong, was piloting the LM down while fuel was down to 15 seconds left, his heartrate reached 156 - and he still landed the damn thing. Impressive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mission Man in AZ said:

Definitely worth seeing. A documentary with no narration, just letting the words and images speak for themselves. It has a ton of never before seen footage. I know a LOT about this mission and it still kept me captivated and invested. I wanted to stand up and cheer when the re-entry radio blackout ended and the three chutes opened.

An interesting fact: when Mr. "Always Cool and Composed," Neil Armstrong, was piloting the LM down while fuel was down to 15 seconds left, his heartrate reached 156 - and he still landed the damn thing. Impressive.

Terrific movie. Don, you and I are probably among the few here who watched  Apollo when it actually happened. I was impressed when, in the movie, Buzz Aldrin's pulse was 88 during lift off.

My sister was one of the secretaries to the original 7 astronauts in Hampton VA and Houston. She also worked with the Apollo crew.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, RummagingBedouin said:

Terrific movie. Don, you and I are probably among the few here who watched  Apollo when it actually happened. I was impressed when, in the movie, Buzz Aldrin's pulse was 88 during lift off.

My sister was one of the secretaries to the original 7 astronauts in Hampton VA and Houston. She also worked with the Apollo crew.

Hell, like you I'm sure Charlie, I saw Alan Shepard and John Glenn when I was a little kid. I was a space fanatic until the end of the Apollo program. I spent the spring and summer of '69 obsessed with any and all things Apollo 11.

We just got back from seeing Apollo 11. What a great film. We watched the televised walk up on vacation at my maternal grandparents house in Bisbee, North Dakota. I was 10 and remember it so well. It was actually my parents 12th anniversary and my grandparents anniversary. People have always been surprised that I've always known the date but it is an easy one for me to remember. It moves to the small screening room tomorrow so I wanted to see it in the big screen. My husband also comment  the three heart rates and said how cool the men were. 

I'm glad you mentioned it @Mission Man in AZ and it set me to checking out the local showing. And @RummagingBedouin, what a cool story about your sister! My father in law worked for NASA in the Landsat program and we got to go to Andrews Air Force Base to watch his last launch. What fun.

• Love Love Love! 1

continuing on with the post Chch non violent tv theme that is on our airways until further notice 

i am watching Eddie the eagle

i remember him from those Olympics but i never knew anything about him

its a really good movie

Mostly enjoyed this as it's set in my favorite city, New Orleans. Some wonderful vintage shots of the city, including the opening funeral scene at St. Louis Cemetery #1, the same cemetery where the Easy Rider acid scene was shot. There's also a great scene at Preservation Hall, with the PH Jazz Band knocking it out. So cool. 
Plot is identical to The Hustler, with a young buck going up against the seasoned veteran. I don't play cards, but some say this is the best card movie ever made. Cast is a handful of talented pros, who portray powerful characters.

Related image

• Like 2