Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

8 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

*it won't let me edit my post above, about my last three movies I watched, so I can't.

I'll try from now on just to post about movies I enjoyed. It's a pretty pointless exercise otherwise, and also makes the thread no fun.

hell no

i need to know the bad stuff

besides you should see how i rubbished the shit out of a star is born :lol:

• Haha 1

Watched Private Life with Katerine Hahn and Paul Giamatti.  Story about a couple in their upper 40s and the very real struggle to have a child.

It has some very funny scenes but suprising honest look at the subject and what is does to a couple.

Well done and affecting film.

On 6/13/2019 at 6:20 AM, took me long enough said:

I guess it should be viewed as an extension of the Revue itself.  It's entertainment, allegory and a statement on the times.  

Hi took me long enough;

I guess it's (a friend of mine called it this when I explained the mixture of fact and fiction):

a "docu-drama" (or is that docudrama? appears so via spellcheck to be the latter)

I'd call it more of an attempt at a docu-comedy, but the jokes aren't funny.

Anyway my whole...I was upset over it for maybe two days, that's it. Not worth staying mad at one of my favorite musical artists forever for it; I'll just pass on seeing the movie again.

I'm sure I'll be listening to his music again. I just didn't like being fooled by him, and Scorsese, that's all. It wasn't cool to the fans (and it was pointless, taking away from the real documentary).

that's all - just wanted to respond. (not wanting to continue the topic either; it's over.)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

I saw...on Friday I saw an awful movie, Sissy Spacek's first movie, called Prime Cut, starring Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman. It made me feel kind of sick.

Haven't seen Prime Cut, but Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman together in a "bad" movie??

1 hour ago, Mocker said:

Haven't seen Prime Cut, but Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman together in a "bad" movie?? *

well...

see it for yourself...it was recommended to me by a friend who really likes that picture...at least the last time she saw it...

to each their own, you know?

But I could relate to those who wrote reviews not liking it; there was one on, I think DVDTalk site; it rated the video and audio as excellent,

and the movie as merely "good, but bound to offend some." (or something like that - I also didn't read the review - theirs give away too much of the story, and not just specifications)

It's a pretty grim movie, to me.

*and not just Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman, but Sissy Spacek too! She's one of my favorite actresses.

I just saw a FANTASTIC movie:

888574446161.jpg?v=5

Bad Day At Black Rock.

I'd seen it once before. I really love this movie.

And I got this Blu-ray today completely with credit issued to me by Amazon for them screwing up my order with Western Stars, making it late and so forth.

Great trade-off! :)

• Love Love Love! 1

10 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

well...

see it for yourself...it was recommended to me by a friend who really likes that picture...at least the last time she saw it...

to each their own, you know?

But I could relate to those who wrote reviews not liking it; there was one on, I think DVDTalk site; it rated the video and audio as excellent,

and the movie as merely "good, but bound to offend some." (or something like that - I also didn't read the review - theirs give away too much of the story, and not just specifications)

It's a pretty grim movie, to me.

*and not just Lee Marvin and Gene Hackman, but Sissy Spacek too! She's one of my favorite actresses.

The couple reviews I've read do indicate it's a bit graphic. Coming out in 1972, there was a feeling that the film was a bit of social commentary on the Vietnam war. I'll have to check it out first chance.......Lee is one of my favorites!

• Like 1

On 6/18/2019 at 5:40 AM, Mocker said:

The couple reviews I've read do indicate it's a bit graphic. Coming out in 1972, there was a feeling that the film was a bit of social commentary on the Vietnam war. I'll have to check it out first chance.......Lee is one of my favorites!

the Vietnam War?!?

I never would have thought that...

I saw an old movie I always liked, saw it now on TCM On Demand (I have it on DVD, there's no Blu-ray of it)

MV5BZDk2MjMyNzEtNWVkOS00MGRhLThhMzktYzll

Edward G. Robinson in a comedic spoof of gangster movies, with Ann Sothern and Ralph Bellamy in supporting roles (Humphrey Bogart is barely in this)

A movie with some heart too, once you get past the comedy part of it....it's not rated high on IMDB (7.0) but I really like it. (From 1940)

THE NIGHT OF THE HUNTER.

From 1955, starring Robert Mitchum as easily one of the worst, most terrifying villains I've ever seen in any movie,

this horror film of sorts, directed by Charles Laughton - his only directorial effort -

was one of the most amazing movies I've seen in my life.

Absolutely fucking incredible, just amazing.

MV5BMjAyMjA0MDMzMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTYx

The way it was filmed was unlike anything I'd ever seen before.

• Like 2