Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised there's not a topic like this. Anyway... Moonrise Kingdom.

Finally saw Three Billboards this weekend. Excellent flick!   I have never seen Frances McDormand be any less than outstanding, in any role she assumes.

Posted Images

On 3/1/2020 at 2:10 PM, SteveJhb said:

Felt like a real good action flick so watched my favourite Bond movie again... The cinematography in this really is magnificent.

skyfall.jpeg

....agreed , best bond movie, shame he followed it with one of the worst :angry:

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

....agreed , best bond movie, shame he followed it with one of the worst :angry:

I was actually really amped to see the new one... I was even contemplating going to a cinema to see it, but alas, I shall have to wait...

• Sad 1
1 minute ago, SteveJhb said:

I was actually really amped to see the new one... I was even contemplating going to a cinema to see it, but alas, I shall have to wait...

...was referring to Spectre, not the new one.... No Time to die???:D

16 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

...was referring to Spectre, not the new one.... No Time to die???:D

Yes, I actually watched Spectre for the first time a few weeks ago. I definitely felt it was not as strong as Skyfall.

My understanding was that No Time To Die followed on quite closely from Spectre?

• Like 1

A film that has always passed me by. So when it turned up on Film 4 I recorded it. Described in the write up as an elaborate con to revenge the murder of a friend with unforseen tragic consequences...... I got drawn in hook line and sinker....an absolute masterpiece......just watch it!!!!

MV5BNGU3NjQ4YTMtZGJjOS00YTQ3LThmNmItMTI5MDE2ODI3NzY3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUzOTY1NTc@._V1_UY1200_CR77,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

• Like 3

I watched The Lady In The Window from 1944 last night, starring Edward G. Robinson, with Joan Bennett, who would both star together again in the film noir masterpiece Scarlet Street a year later - and this also had Dan Duryea, like that movie. (and this had Raymond Massey as head investigator).

The movie was suspenseful, incredibly well-acted, and the ending KILLED IT!

It fucking STUNK ON ICE!

It's so easy to ruin a movie with a bad ending, and I can't believe that they chose to end a THRILLER, a film noir movie, with this crap.

I don't want to give away a spoiler but I read a 4 star review on IMDB ("sabatoges itself bu its ending") that summed up how I felt about this. I couldn't believe it when it came to the last 3 minutes or so. They used a device that's totally become hackneyed. Unreal. What a waste and a shame.

I don't know what the hell they were thinking. It was really quite good up until that point. I mean I was hanging on my seat...all for nothing.

MV5BOTJmYjMwMWItODMzNC00M2M3LTk1NzEtMjg2

Pickup On South Street; very good to great film noir, from 1953. Richard Widmark of Night and The City, Jean Peters who I'd seen in Niagara, and the great Thelma Ritter, from...everything (Rear Window, All About Eve, etc ). My first viewing of it. Didn't see it in the best quality, have to see this again in better quality one day.

Once Upon a time in Hollywood.  Fabulous film. Pitt and DiCaprio are excellent. I'm in love with Margot robbie,  and my wife knows it..lol

Imnot a huge Tarantino guy but thought this was really excellent. 

• Like 3

A movie called No Way Out from 1950, with Richard Widmark, Sidney Poitier and Linda Darnell.

A good but not great movie about a racist crook and patient who blames Sidney very early on for what happens to his brother.

They came into the hospital after a holdup. Sidney is the doctor there we focus on.

I supposed it's groundbreaking in terms of its strong anti-racist message back in 1950.

The three main actors were all very good. This was Poitier's big film break, he'd played an extra in one film before this one.

Widmark is convincing as the racist. Poitier's very good here, maybe already showing signs of the greatness that would come later. And Darnell who I'd seen but had strangely not remembered, from My Darling Clementine, is a fine actress who had to tone down her looks, "de-glamorize" herself for this picture, but really, who's kidding who?

Overall a good film not a great one like the superb In The Heat Of The Night - but this was only 1950.

On 4/21/2020 at 9:39 AM, larf said:

5802FB52-A1EC-40E6-A177-57A87CCF7BA0.jpeg

Saw three movies last week and they all had Eastwood connection. Escape from Alcatraz in which he starred and the other 2 whcih he directed-Mystic River and Sully

• Like 1
On 4/21/2020 at 1:36 PM, dr winston oboogie said:

Probably the best film ever made, was on tv Sunday night, had such an effect on me the first time I watched it and still very powerful today : -

deer hunter.jpg

Watched it last night as we spotted it was on i-player. There were quite a few scenes that I'd forgotten. Everyone was so brilliant in this film.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1