Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised there's not a topic like this. Anyway... Moonrise Kingdom.

Finally saw Three Billboards this weekend. Excellent flick!   I have never seen Frances McDormand be any less than outstanding, in any role she assumes.

Posted Images

It wasn't dumb. It was pointless. Agree that the acting was great.

It wasn't pointless at all. It works on many levels. It's a psychological study of the Id and the Superego. It's a love story between two men who desperately need each other that is ultimately doomed to fail. It's a look at the necessities and limitations of man's animal instincts It's a study of how cults operate.

In no way was this film pointless.

It wasn't pointless at all. It works on many levels. It's a psychological study of the Id and the Superego. It's a love story between two men who desperately need each other that is ultimately doomed to fail. It's a look at the necessities and limitations of man's animal instincts It's a study of how cults operate.

Nah, it is pretty much self-indulgent crap. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Also watched Arbitrage, which was pretty good. I always find it interesting how you can find yourself "rooting" for a main character who so clearly is doing the wrong things. Infidelity, fraud, involuntary manslaughter, obstruction of justice, etc and you are watching the movie wondering how / if he can get away with it.

Lol. I wouldn't quite go that far. I like how PT Anderson takes chances and makes movies with little regard for commercial considerations. However sometimes that strategy works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you end up with a hot mess. I think sometimes we hold these bold filmakers like PTA in such high regard for their risk taking that we simply find it hard to say that the film just doesn't work. It's sort of an "emperors new clothes" effect. Not saying this is you Tonyz. A lot of critics that I respect really liked The Master. It just didn't work for me. I felt like the movie got me all worked up with great acting and beautiful cinematography only to leave me blue balled on the doorstep. "Thanks for dinner and your 12 bucks, g'night.". There was no payoff.

To take a quote from the film... you pigfuck!!

(I'm gonna go ahead and pretend that was written partially in jest because of the onslaught of smiley faces.)

Lol. I wouldn't quite go that far. I like how PT Anderson takes chances and makes movies with little regard for commercial considerations. However sometimes that strategy works and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes you end up with a hot mess. I think sometimes we hold these bold filmakers like PTA in such high regard for their risk taking that we simply find it hard to say that the film just doesn't work. It's sort of an "emperors new clothes" effect. Not saying this is you Tonyz. A lot of critics that I respect really liked The Master. It just didn't work for me. I felt like the movie got me all worked up with great acting and beautiful cinematography only to leave me blue balled on the doorstep. "Thanks for dinner and your 12 bucks, g'night.". There was no payoff.

I think this is a good assessment, but in some ways, a kindler version of what I wrote. There are many movies (songs, albums, etc) that seem, IMO, designed to impress the critics and followers of the artist (depending on the medium). That was my take on The Master....it tried too hard to take itself too seriously and be soooo avant-garde that it ended up being kind of a mess (despite the brilliant acting).

That said, I will also admit my bias that films like this rarely work for me.....just not my cup of tea, as it were.

It was about 'a young girls strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk'

It was 'a young girls strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk'

• Like 1

It was about 'a young girls strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk'

It was 'a young girls strange, erotic journey from Milan to Minsk'

"Well, you made a long journey from Milan to Minsk, Rochelle, Rochelle. You never stopped hoping; now you're in the Pinsk, Rochelle, Rochelle. When the naysayers nay you picked up your pace. You said nothing's going to stop me so get out of my face. I'm having adventures all over the place, Rochelle, ROCHELLE!"

The Woman In Black

OK horror movie, but nothing special. Typical Hammer movie.

Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close

Superfantastic little movie. Just excellent acting by the kid and Max.

The Woman In Black

OK horror movie, but nothing special. Typical Hammer movie.

Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close

Superfantastic little movie. Just excellent acting by the kid and Max.

I could not muster any empathy for that kid. None at all.

Just watched "End of Watch" ......wow...powerful

The Chernobyl Diaries

This was much better than “Cabin In The Woods”. Not for the acting, plot and so on. All that was pisspoor. Best part of this were the surroundings, i.e. scenery. Could have been the real Pripyat, but it was filmed in Serbia and Hungary. Would love to go to Pripyat for a photoshoot some day :)

The Raven

With John Cusack. Nice little flick. I enjoyed it.

The Kings Speech

Masterpiece. Exceptionally played by Colin Firth. What a fantastic movie!

Watched "The Deer Hunter" with my son. First time for him. Probably the 4th time for me through the years--I think I saw it twice in the theater when it came out in 1978...

Watched "The Deer Hunter" with my son. First time for him. Probably the 4th time for me through the years--I think I saw it twice in the theater when it came out in 1978...

Do you suffer from insomnia?

Do you suffer from insomnia?

:P

Started to watch "Beasts of the Southern Wild" a couple of days ago. I was so incredibly bored, I turned it off.