Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised there's not a topic like this. Anyway... Moonrise Kingdom.

Finally saw Three Billboards this weekend. Excellent flick!   I have never seen Frances McDormand be any less than outstanding, in any role she assumes.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, BrilliantDisguise said:

Mystic River

6408041_sa.jpg

Really like Sean Penn always makes good films, loved 21 Grams I mean Benicio Del Toro and the gorgeous Naomi Watts were also in it, all were great.

17 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I could have had class, I could have been a Contender, I could have been somebody, instead of a bum!

Brando is just fuckin incredible in this film!

TOTAL classic! I LOVE this movie!!!!

Agree about Brando. This is my favorite acting of his. Also I liked Eva Marie Saint very much in this. Outstanding movie.

• Love Love Love! 1

DP_4340525_TC_1400x2100_DP_4340526_HOLME

By the cringe this was awful.

Made it halfway, honest to God, a great cast should collectively hang their head in shame.

Fit'n sharn.

image.thumb.png.b49d2100b58c48b2a9763ee76c1abb7e.png

This runs over 2 separate DVDs (well, it does in our boxset!).  Stupidly we (notice I said we and not he :lol:) put the second one in the player first last night. We both looked at each other when it ended and said we were sure there was a big chunk missing.  Opened the case and there was the 'first' half :rolleyes:, so we watched it back to front.  But Robert De Niro, as always, brilliant! Must admit, I found the second half (which we watched first) quite hard going.

Part III tonight.

• Like 1
On 4/26/2020 at 4:09 AM, janeymarywendy said:

This runs over 2 separate DVDs (well, it does in our boxset!).  Stupidly we (notice I said we and not he :lol:) put the second one in the player first last night. We both looked at each other when it ended and said we were sure there was a big chunk missing.  Opened the case and there was the 'first' half :rolleyes:, so we watched it back to front.  But Robert De Niro, as always, brilliant! Must admit, I found the second half (which we watched first) quite hard going.

Part III tonight.

I agree, DeNiro is fantastic as the young Don Corleone, but for me, watching how Michael gets in this one....

well let's say I greatly prefer the original, The Godfather!

At one point years ago I think I preferred this, but that must have been due to DeNiro in it, I'm guessing.

On 4/26/2020 at 12:09 PM, janeymarywendy said:

Part III tonight.

I am torn over this, great as the Godfather is and of course Brando is in, which is always a bonus, there is something about Godfather part 2. The way it slowburns to an almighty denouement gets me every time. Its just an immense film,two of the greatest actors of a generation creating their legacies at young ages, and of course John Cazale being amazing as usual. For me it pips part 1. Sorry you have to watch part 3 tonight!!! (talk about dropping off a cliff!)

27 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

I am torn over this, great as the Godfather is and of course Brando is in, which is always a bonus, there is something about Godfather part 2. The way it slowburns to an almighty denouement gets me every time. Its just an immense film,two of the greatest actors of a generation creating their legacies at young ages, and of course John Cazale being amazing as usual. For me it pips part 1. Sorry you have to watch part 3 tonight!!! (talk about dropping off a cliff!)

If you have 7 hours to kill, and who doesn't these days. Check into the Godfather Saga which is the project where they put together both films into one event basically. Intermingling them into one film essentially  This was done originally as a TV mini series I believe then HBO showed it somewhat recently. Its a different way of viewing these. Love them both. I always lean to one as my fav but both so close. 

• Like 1

Out of the three, I guess this one is a bit over the top and not based on the original novel at all.  Al Pacino continued to be fab though - I still felt more drawn towards him (even with those evil ways!) than Andy Garcia and the daughter. The big scene at the end with everyone getting bumped off at the same time was sort of funny if you know what I mean, but the VERY last (quick) scene was sad.  I breathed a sigh of relief that it was all over ... or was it? ;)

Realised I had a headache when it had finished - I was concentrating very hard on all the different names and faces but got pretty confused.  My hubby knew them all.

5yLHwkjA1NlyrECG6NiAs9fj0xK.jpg

• Like 1

After watching the wonderful series The Night Manager by John LaCerre. I thought this should be good to watch last night. 

I'll never be able to get these two hours back in my life. 

image.png.378079f8c44e8766170c9efdede450b0.png

• Haha 1

MV5BMTg2NjMxNzk1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDI1

Destry Rides Again, from 1939. Saw it in "HD" on Movieplex.

I'm surprised I never saw this before because I was such a huge fan of Blazing Saddles.

It was okay. Not up to that comedy - the best of comedies - and not up to a great western either.

Edit, if it takes: Actually, the biggest influence on Blazing Saddles (a movie that once was my favorite movie [not more recent than 9 or 10 years ago though] I used to know the dialogue for a good portion by heart), even more than this, was a movie called Hellzapoppin', from 1941, which starred Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson, and was a totally manic movie with anarchic spirit that shined in Blazing Saddles. God I haven't watched Hellzapoppin' in ages, years.....

19 hours ago, janeymarywendy said:

Out of the three, I guess this one is a bit over the top and not based on the original novel at all.  Al Pacino continued to be fab though - I still felt more drawn towards him (even with those evil ways!) than Andy Garcia and the daughter. The big scene at the end with everyone getting bumped off at the same time was sort of funny if you know what I mean, but the VERY last (quick) scene was sad.  I breathed a sigh of relief that it was all over ... or was it? ;)

Realised I had a headache when it had finished - I was concentrating very hard on all the different names and faces but got pretty confused.  My hubby knew them all.

5yLHwkjA1NlyrECG6NiAs9fj0xK.jpg

yeah this wasn't based on the original novel; the first two movie were supposed to be all that would be made; Coppola did this one for the money solely. He didn't want to do it in the first place from what I have read. And his daughter being in it, Sofia Coppola was a last-minute replacement for Winona Ryder. And yeah, I didn't like Andy Garcia in this either. Or all the new characters we are supposed to accept as if they were always part of the story (or such). A rather strange film to me, esp. in terms of supposedly being part of a "trilogy," as it doesn't fit.

I saw it once, don't plan on revisiting it. Hope your head feels better.

• Haha 1

0CE1AA92-D17F-48FE-B936-ADC7CB54E8C5.jpeg.b00aa8b51bea567003de0d97f022c885.jpeg

Loved it. Natalie Wood is fantastic in it and it has quite a few layers of interpretation. Oddly, it reminded me a lot of Requiem for a Dream. There isn’t one character in the whole movie that isn’t fucked up.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
8 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

in terms of supposedly being part of a "trilogy," as it doesn't fit.

....yes I&II flow into each other beautifully. III is post Scarface for a start and the real shouty Pacino had arrived.

• Like 2
On 4/28/2020 at 2:55 AM, Tom-Joad said:

0CE1AA92-D17F-48FE-B936-ADC7CB54E8C5.jpeg.b00aa8b51bea567003de0d97f022c885.jpeg

Loved it. Natalie Wood is fantastic in it and it has quite a few layers of interpretation. Oddly, it reminded me a lot of Requiem for a Dream. There isn’t one character in the whole movie that isn’t fucked up.

I love this movie.

It breaks my heart.

• Like 1
On 4/29/2020 at 2:35 AM, Tom-Joad said:

Don’t know how I hadn’t seen this. My favourite actor, my favourite author, one of my favourite directors. Sadly, it’s a mess of a film.

41378894-6016-45F6-951A-A97F154AE25D.jpeg.c788025ea10f3f8c95ad042eaaea636c.jpeg

Agreed!

I thought I might like it, and was trying to check out as much of Kazan's work as I could. (My favorites are A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, On The Waterfront, and Wild River. Baby Doll's high up there too for me, after those. And also Streetcar etc....and East Of Eden of course! God, such classics....)

There's only a few that I've seen of his that I  didn't like, and this was one of them.

Seemed pointless.

And that's with Brando, with Steinbeck, Kazan, and with Jean Peters too, who I like. Oh well...

• Like 1