Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

MV5BODczMjZjMDktOTVmNS00ZTU2LWEyZjYtNGE0

Inherit The Wind, from 1960, starring Spencer Tracy and Fredric March (the latter of the FAR superior version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde).

Possible the greatest movie ever devoted to the right of a human being's right to THINK!!!!!!!!

Something the entire world is under vicious attack from now, every single day, and it only gets worse.

NO dissension of thought will be treated with respect let alone tolerated, by ANYONE.

A brilliant movie. The famous "monkey trial" fictionalized, the one Bruce sang about in Part Man, Part Monkey.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised there's not a topic like this. Anyway... Moonrise Kingdom.

Finally saw Three Billboards this weekend. Excellent flick!   I have never seen Frances McDormand be any less than outstanding, in any role she assumes.

Posted Images

A movie I hadn't watched in SO long,

I forgot how much I've always loved it so, and still do.

MV5BMjI2NzI3NDI4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODYz

Roman Holiday from 1953. Audrey Hepburn's debut and her greatest movie. And STILL not on Blu-ray. Unreal, that.

Written by the great Dalton Trumbo.

What a beautiful movie.

An absolute masterpiece, and one of my three favorite movies of all time.

• Like 2
On 5/11/2020 at 7:14 AM, soulcrusader78 said:

MV5BODczMjZjMDktOTVmNS00ZTU2LWEyZjYtNGE0

Inherit The Wind, from 1960, starring Spencer Tracy and Fredric March (the latter of the FAR superior version of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde).

Possible the greatest movie ever devoted to the right of a human being's right to THINK!!!!!!!!

Something the entire world is under vicious attack from now, every single day, and it only gets worse.

NO dissension of thought will be treated with respect let alone tolerated, by ANYONE.

A brilliant movie. The famous "monkey trial" fictionalized, the one Bruce sang about in Part Man, Part Monkey.

Spencer Tracy was a fabulous actor. Over the years I've managed to see most of his films.

• Like 1

Just caught the last hour of The Revenant.  I've seen it numerous times. I enjoy movies that you observe behavior and not just words. Alot of that here. The final 30 minutes is tremendous. 

• Like 1

MV5BNTA0MDA2NjkwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODQ1

Edward G. Robinson in a most different film, The Whole Town's Talking, from 1935.

Good stuff! With the beautiful Jean Arthur, of Mr. Deeds Goes To Town fame (and Shane, and Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, and You Can't Take It With You, and The Devil and Miss Jones....only movie I didn't like that she was in is Only Angels Have Wings).

Anyway this was a good picture, with Robinson as a meek man who looks just like Public Enemy N. 1.

And it gets weird as it goes on.....

I love watching him play meek roles, or just non-gangster ones - his role as an investigator from the War Crimes Commission travels to Connecticut to find an infamous Nazi (quoted there from IMDB) in the movie The Stranger is exceptional.

And him in Scarlet Street - the best!

On 5/13/2020 at 6:52 PM, soulcrusader78 said:

A movie I hadn't watched in SO long,

I forgot how much I've always loved it so, and still do.

MV5BMjI2NzI3NDI4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODYz

Roman Holiday from 1953. Audrey Hepburn's debut and her greatest movie. And STILL not on Blu-ray. Unreal, that.

Written by the great Dalton Trumbo.

What a beautiful movie.

An absolute masterpiece, and one of my three favorite movies of all time.

oh my mum loved that one

• Love Love Love! 1

last night on Netflex i watched the rough African Material

its about an up and coming stand up comic who happens to be an Indian Muslim and works in the family fabric shop alongside his dad 

it was really really good

220px-Material_2012_film_poster.jpg

Well I gotDisney plus for The Mandalorian and decided to keep it a little longer to watch NAtional Geographic, then for some silly reason (probably Lockdown) I watched this .... struggled to stay with them...the marvel script writers seem to have a formula.... Fight, smug comedy quip, bigger fight, another quip, bigger bad guy, even bigger sillier fight, another comedy quip, ridiculously bigger fight against an even bigger bad guy with even more avengers.... THe End.

0f857b2b55b5c34fed05852f7f2c7958.jpg

13 minutes ago, Thunder Roadie said:

Well I gotDisney plus for The Mandalorian and decided to keep it a little longer to watch NAtional Geographic, then for some silly reason (probably Lockdown) I watched this .... struggled to stay with them...the marvel script writers seem to have a formula.... Fight, smug comedy quip, bigger fight, another quip, bigger bad guy, even bigger sillier fight, another comedy quip, ridiculously bigger fight against an even bigger bad guy with even more avengers.... THe End.

0f857b2b55b5c34fed05852f7f2c7958.jpg

I know aren't they awesome...lol

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1

The Young Philadelphians, from 1959, starring Paul Newman and Barbara Rush - or at least, she should have been more of the co-star.

Mostly dull movie (this was my second time watching it, saw it months ago, and it was definitely worse the second time around for me).

A social climbing lawyer, a romance, horrible parent destroying things, a soap opera style film, the emphasis shifted to his work as a lawyer, and eventually it's all just a boring courtoom drama. Pretty weak overall. Disappointed that whatever I saw in it the first time was gone.

The earliest part of the film was still good, and the acting overall was fine, but the film itself seemed like an eternity. I'll pass on seeing this one again.

A stirring powerful film, the back story fascinating. John Ford wanting to film it in the south Wales valleys but due to the war a set was built in Hollywood. Someinteresting Welsh accents ! But the singing was magnificent, brought a tear to my eye ! 

Apparently it controversially beat Citizen Kane to Best Picture Oscar ..... I did not see any controversey, it was a better film.

Also one of CLint Eastwoods favourite films.

MV5BNDQ1MTUyMjc2NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzk0

Trumbo, from 2015. My third time seeing this. Very powerful performances (casting is not perfect in terms of looks, but that's the only complaint I could have about this great movie. Incredible acting by Cranston.

The world has always needed scapegoats and "enemies" of the people. Nothing has changed there. NOTHING. Anyone with a different mode of thought will always be either viewed with ridicule or contempt; the game of divide and conquer goes on, in the worst way.