KleWdSide

What's the last film you sat & watched?

Not a bad film but I didn't get the sense that Cruise conveyed any concern for his wellbeing throughout this film, was Barry Seal that blase about his life?

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 11:20 AM, soulcrusader78 said:

MV5BMTExODUyNTY4OTNeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDI5

The DVD version of one of my top 3 favorite movies ever, The Night Of The Hunter.

MUCH easier on the eyes than the Blu-ray, which is far too grainy for my tastes (though not as much as the Criterion Blu-ray of 12 Angry Men, or what I've seen of The Killing by them also). Just got it on DVD this past day, have been watching the HD stream on Amazon Prime until now. A masterpiece in any form.

I'd been searching for this one for ages as I'd heard nothing but great things. I eventually found the film split into ten 10 minute parts on Dailymotion. Not my ideal way to watch a film by a long shot, but with this one I felt I had to take what I could get. 

Loved it. Loved almost everything about it with the exception of the ending and young John's change of mind. I've read about what it's supposed to represent, but despite that I thought it derailed the film a tad. 

That being said, Robert Mitchum's performance in this is one of the greatest I've ever seen and at the end of the day all discussion should be about him and how damn great he is at being pure evil.

On 5/28/2020 at 8:57 AM, soulcrusader78 said:

51GxSFluwUL.jpg

The Stranger, from 1946, starring Edward G. Robinson as an investigator from the War Crimes Commission searching after a Nazi.

Super film, my third time seeing it. (I couldn't decide on what on cable that I had or hadn't seen before, so chose this. Great film.

One of the most spectacular endings I've ever seen in a film! :)

Another one I watched for the first time earlier this year. I'll be honest in saying I didn't overly enjoy it, though I did think the ending was the best thing about it.  Funnily enough (and I think this might be a cardinal cinema sin) I feel exactly the same way about The Third Man. Didn't think much of the first 1/3 of the film, but the finale was spot on.

Welles and his chase scenes, ey!

On 5/28/2020 at 3:47 PM, BrilliantDisguise said:

The Invisible Man 2020

The-Invisible-Man-Movie.png

Did you also feel your intelligence was insulted throughout by nobody checking security cameras? Only to get a bit wound up at the end? :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thunder Roadie said:

@Soul Crusader where do you get the time to watch all those movies?

...and as you favour older movies, is The Searchers as good as they say it is?

I'm no Soulcrusader that's understood, but I'll happily offer my own thoughts on The Searchers as I love talking about it.

One of the most beautiful looking films I've ever seen, I watched it again towards the end of May and kept thinking about how I need to visit Monument Valley someday. John Wayne's performance as Ethan Edwards is his most compelling of all 200+ roles, more so than his Oscar winning role as Rooster Cogburn for me. He's reprehensible, a nasty man who we have no reason to like, but because of his task to find his niece we must support him and pray he doesn't let his hatred of Native Americans result in him making the most unforgivable of actions. 

And It all concludes with one of the best shots ever.

The Searchers gets a lot of criticism today for its depiction of Native Americans, which is entirely just, but while I've seen many people tell others not to watch this film, I think films such as this are historically important and we're able to learn from them the same way as in History lessons at school. And, of course, we ultimately realise that Ethan Edwards' arc doesn't have the happiest of endings. 

I included it on my list of essential list of films to watch in Quarantine - I might change that title to say Anytime: https://cantfindtickets.wordpress.com/2020/04/22/25-essential-films-to-watch-in-quarantine/

• Thanks 1

After those replies I might as well mention that I finished watching Being John Malkovich about half an hour ago. I thought it was alright, nothing really great. 

• Like 1

You were Never Here with Jaquin Phoenix. Strange movie starring a strange guy.

10 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

After those replies I might as well mention that I finished watching Being John Malkovich about half an hour ago. I thought it was alright, nothing really great. 

K have you seen a movie called Jennifer 8?

2 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

Saw that many years ago - excellent film.

WE MUST BE CAREFUL NOT TO GIVE AWAY SPOILERS LIKE WHAT HAPPENS AT THE ENDS OF FILMS ON HERE, FOR THE SAKE OF THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THEM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Finally got around to watching Joker. What a sad and disturbing film. Not at all what I was expecting.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SteveJhb said:

No mate I've never seen this, and I'm trying to think if I've ever heard of it. 

I'll have a look for it on Netflix, Amazon Prime and the like and get back to you if I can find it and give it a watch. 

4 hours ago, soulcrusader78 said:

WE MUST BE CAREFUL NOT TO GIVE AWAY SPOILERS LIKE WHAT HAPPENS AT THE ENDS OF FILMS ON HERE, FOR THE SAKE OF THOSE WHO HAVEN'T SEEN THEM.

Sorry!

not my usual cup of tea but a nice light and positive sunday night movie.

NZL_251736R1.jpg

No Country For Old Men.

I enjoyed it.  But I had to watch it in two instalments, I just can't seem to stay awake long enough to watch a whole film these days.
Sofa's too comfy.  :D

• Like 3

1982 - Gere, Winger, Lou Gossett Jr. 

p6419_v_v8_ay.jpg

• Like 1

Hopefully everyone got this one in before today.

389px-Poster_-_Gone_With_the_Wind_01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Hopefully everyone got this one in before today.

389px-Poster_-_Gone_With_the_Wind_01.jpg

Watching it this very minute on Sky :lol: Very nice cinematography and Steiner's score is solid, but that's about it for me. 

Another virus pandemic movie. I hadn't seen this before and it was pretty damn good.

811YqrhFH1L._AC_SY550_.jpg