Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

Goodbye Christopher Robin followed by Finding Your Feet - really enjoyed both. Room was on next but sitting through 2 films was quite enough, thank you.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised there's not a topic like this. Anyway... Moonrise Kingdom.

Finally saw Three Billboards this weekend. Excellent flick!   I have never seen Frances McDormand be any less than outstanding, in any role she assumes.

Posted Images

watched Contagion last night on amazon prime, almost a doc on whats been happening although thankfully a lot worse than the actual, amazing things like social distancing, the R number

• Like 1
2 hours ago, stevie54uk said:

watched Contagion last night on amazon prime, almost a doc on whats been happening although thankfully a lot worse than the actual, amazing things like social distancing, the R number

Yep, scary how accurate it is.

• Like 1

Just watched this one on the Starz channel about the life of David Crosby.  So sad that a life so full of promise and talent went to hell because of drugs.  He says that the main guys who he ever made meaningful music with all now hate him. :(

social.jpg

• Like 1

Crazy rich Asians

Last night on Netflex 

Alot better than i expected

Actually pretty good if a bit predictable

OMG ! The wedding in that church ! 

Spoiler below Bruce

(Not at all related to the actual story)

OMG ! If you thought Will and Kate's churche was pretty with the trees 

This had a topical garden down the aisle and when the bride appeared it was water like a paddy field with floating lotus blossoms and the guests all had dragonfly lights to wave 

I Always thought the Scorish wedding in 4 wedding and a funeral and Bella and Edward's wedding on twlight were my favourite film wedding backdrops but this was something else 

Springsteen-1.jpg

This picture does not do it justice

cc4e4df62606c4da831836f5c809063e.jpg

3 hours ago, Perisic said:

Horror fans, what are the best movies of let's say the last 10 to 15 years? Been ages since I've seen one.

I'm very particular about horror films. I'd go as far to say it's my favourite genre and two of my favourite films are The Shining and John Carpenter's Halloween.
I get very irked though when I watch modern day horror films as the majority poorly focus on gore, jump scares and they largely fail at being unsettling and outright scary. So even though newer films like Hereditary and A Quiet Place were highly acclaimed I was massively disappointed. The only newer horror I've actually been pleased about after watching was Midsommer, which was directed by Ari Aster who also directed Hereditary above. So after all that, Midsommer is my recommendation :lol:

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I'm very particular about horror films. I'd go as far to say it's my favourite genre and two of my favourite films are The Shining and John Carpenter's Halloween.
I get very irked though when I watch modern day horror films as the majority poorly focus on gore, jump scares and they largely fail at being unsettling and outright scary. So even though newer films like Hereditary and A Quiet Place were highly acclaimed I was massively disappointed. The only newer horror I've actually been pleased about after watching was Midsommer, which was directed by Ari Aster who also directed Hereditary above. So after all that, Midsommer is my recommendation :lol:

And I will agree and qualify those thoughts by saying look for films beyond the mainstream.  The most absolutely frightening film experience of my entire life was seeing Ridley Scott's Alien in theater during it's original release.  Not much gore beyond the chestburster scene, and not many jump scares - just an overwhelming sense of "these people are FUCKED, they know it, and it won't be pleasant".  I feel the same way about Carpenter's The Thing, especially since it has a downbeat/unresolved ending.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Flea said:

And I will agree and qualify those thoughts by saying look for films beyond the mainstream.  The most absolutely frightening film experience of my entire life was seeing Ridley Scott's Alien in theater during it's original release.  Not much gore beyond the chestburster scene, and not many jump scares - just an overwhelming sense of "these people are FUCKED, they know it, and it won't be pleasant".  I feel the same way about Carpenter's The Thing, especially since it has a downbeat/unresolved ending.

I love Alien to death. Watched it again during Lockdown as part of a double bill with Aliens and like you say it was great to just sit there and say "I wouldn't be doing that if I was them mind!" :lol:

I haven't watched The Thing since last April but that'll change soon enough as I've now got a seven film John Carpenter box set on the way. 

Though saying that, I'm sure I've already got the DVD kicking about in the house hahaha

On 6/24/2020 at 12:19 AM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Yeah Midsommer is on my list, saw the trailer and thought it was refreshing to have a horror movie that isn't shot in the dark. Gonna give A Quiet Place a shot too because I like John Krasinski.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Perisic said:

Yeah Midsommer is on my list, saw the trailer and thought it was refreshing to have a horror movie that isn't shot in the dark. Gonna give A Quiet Place a shot too because I like John Krasinski.

Sunlight opens up new possibilities, it's why I really like A Nightmare on Elm Street while others I've spoken to about it think it's as hammy as they come. 

Funny you say that because A Quiet Place really soured me on John Krasinski hahaha. He could do no wrong before that, but since I've barley seen him do anything I've liked. 

23 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Oh, and I've just watched Kubrick's The Killing. An alright film with a topper ending. 

Currently watching Mad Max. 

The Toecutter makes a return in Fury Road (which honestly may be the best of the bunch).

• Like 1