Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

As for films that don't suck...

I mentioned Paul Newman a few minutes ago on the Stevie "Tucson Train" thread, and I happened to watch another one of his films I'd never seen for the first time last night: Cool Hand Luke. Holy shit it was so damn good!

It's the fourth film of his that I've watched (again, for the first time) this year and while I didn't love The Sting, adored the scenery and story of Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid and loved The Colour of Money, last night it actually hit me how great an actor Paul Newman was. I'm a bit disappointed in myself that it took me this long to appreciate him and his films, but I'm glad it's actually happened. I think I'm gonna to watch The Hustler later this week.

• Like 1
  • Love Love Love! 1
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised there's not a topic like this. Anyway... Moonrise Kingdom.

Finally saw Three Billboards this weekend. Excellent flick!   I have never seen Frances McDormand be any less than outstanding, in any role she assumes.

Posted Images

I watched Jaws 3

It wasn't nearly as bad as the last time i watched it

Off course it was missing cheif Broady 

• Haha 1

The Imitation Game.

I fell asleep about halfway through.  Woke up ten minutes from the end and didn't bother with the rest. 
It was quite dull, and featured two actors I don't like, Knightley and Cucumberpatch.  I hadn't realised Knightley was in it.

I do like Alex Lawther though, terrific young actor, so there was some compensation.

2 hours ago, Daisey Jeep said:

I watched Jaws 3

It wasn't nearly as bad as the last time i watched it

Off course it was missing cheif Broady 

Was it in 3d? I remember going to the theatre and putting those glasses on. So cool then. Somewhat funny now.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, THUE said:

Was it in 3d? I remember going to the theatre and putting those glasses on. So cool then. Somewhat funny now.

Yip

Jaws 3D

I saw it at the pictures too 

(I had not seen the first two back then but my aunty lent me the book and all the F words were crossed out :lol:)

If you took your glasses off and looked behind you it was hillerouse :lol:

This time watching it i just felt nostalgic and enjoyed it even without cheif Broady - although it would have been better with him in it 

MV5BMTk4NDQ0NjgyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTE3

The Lost Weekend; the best of the three movies I saw this past night. (Funny, I hadn't seen hardly any movies in ages, and now...)

I'm not sure if I ever saw this whole movie before, as I only was familiar a little with some opening scenes.

What a fucking AMAZING movie, the performance by Milland just SUPERB. OUTSTANDING.

Watched a few lately. 

- Fellini's La Dolce Vita: I was a bit underwhelmed right after finishing it, but the more I think about it the more I get it and can properly appreciate it. 

- Capra's Mr Smith Goes to Washington: Definitely not my favourite Jimmy Stewart film, but he's fantastic as per usual in it and it's still relevant today in regards to the media making up lies to try and oust people from their positions. 

Singin' in the Rain: I tried watching this a few months ago, but wasn't feeling it and only got about two minutes in. Thought it was absolutely brilliant in this first ever full viewing.That Lina Lamont, what a nasty piece of work! :lol:

Poltergeist: Probably would have terrified me if I watched it when I was younger, but a good film regardless. That scene with the maggots is as gnarly as they come. 

Interstellar: I imagine I'll still be calling this one of my all time favourites many years down the road. So, so stunning to watch. I'd go as far as to call this my 2001: A Space Odyssey (seeing as I've always been a little critical of what many call Kubrick's masterpiece). 

The Goonies: I'd only ever seen this one from about half an hour in and for some reason I've always resisted watching it in full because of that. A bit of a daft mindset on my part, because this is the quintessential film of its ilk. Films like Stand By Me wish it could be this good. 

I'm thinking next I might watch Cat People for the first time and rewatch Ghostbusters (I + IIbecause it's been a while. 

On 8/12/2020 at 6:07 PM, Paolo's Circus Story said:

Watched a few lately. 

- Fellini's La Dolce Vita: I was a bit underwhelmed right after finishing it, but the more I think about it the more I get it and can properly appreciate it. 

- Capra's Mr Smith Goes to Washington: Definitely not my favourite Jimmy Stewart film, but he's fantastic as per usual in it and it's still relevant today in regards to the media making up lies to try and oust people from their positions. 

Singin' in the Rain: I tried watching this a few months ago, but wasn't feeling it and only got about two minutes in. Thought it was absolutely brilliant in this first ever full viewing.That Lina Lamont, what a nasty piece of work! :lol:

Poltergeist: Probably would have terrified me if I watched it when I was younger, but a good film regardless. That scene with the maggots is as gnarly as they come. 

Interstellar: I imagine I'll still be calling this one of my all time favourites many years down the road. So, so stunning to watch. I'd go as far as to call this my 2001: A Space Odyssey (seeing as I've always been a little critical of what many call Kubrick's masterpiece). 

The Goonies: I'd only ever seen this one from about half an hour in and for some reason I've always resisted watching it in full because of that. A bit of a daft mindset on my part, because this is the quintessential film of its ilk. Films like Stand By Me wish it could be this good. 

I'm thinking next I might watch Cat People for the first time and rewatch Ghostbusters (I + IIbecause it's been a while. 

To add to this

Ghostbusters: Only watched this one instead of both. You know those times when you're watching a film so perfect you really appreciate the small pleasures of life? That's Ghostbusters.

Cat People: Had the odd decent scene, but it did more for my understanding as to why Citizen Kane was so revolutionary around this time than it did give me an enjoyable viewing experience.

Suspiria (1977): @Captain Chaos described this as 'fascinatingly bizarre' and that's definitely one word for it. What the absolute ... did I watch :lol: Very vibrant, very loud music-wise, very very weird where it concerns everything else. I'll put it on the "Very good but I don't think I can ever watch this again" list alongside Requiem For a Dream. I still might give the remake a watch mind...

Rear Window: Now this is my favourite Jimmy Stewart film! And a strong shout for my favourite film in general. This was only the third time I've watched it, but I was still as enamoured by the small world built by Hitchcock and the stunning aesthetic that comes with it as I was the first time late last year. And, of course, Grace Kelly was the best - the only flaw of the film will always be the idiocy of our protagonist for not appreciating what he has.

Night of the Living Dead: I can appreciate Romero's influence with this (I mean, we have it to thank for Assault on Precinct 13) but I just can't get away with these films that have zombies as mobile as they are in them. It also doesn't help that it really did nothing for female characters and set them back for a good ten years or so. 

2 hours ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

To add to this

Ghostbusters: Only watched this one instead of both. You know those times when you're watching a film so perfect you really appreciate the small pleasures of life? That's Ghostbusters.

Cat People: Had the odd decent scene, but it did more for my understanding as to why Citizen Kane was so revolutionary around this time than it did give me an enjoyable viewing experience.

Suspiria (1977): @Captain Chaos described this as 'fascinatingly bizarre' and that's definitely one word for it. What the absolute ... did I watch :lol: Very vibrant, very loud music-wise, very very weird where it concerns everything else. I'll put it on the "Very good but I don't think I can ever watch this again" list alongside Requiem For a Dream. I still might give the remake a watch mind...

Rear Window: Now this is my favourite Jimmy Stewart film! And a strong shout for my favourite film in general. This was only the third time I've watched it, but I was still as enamoured by the small world built by Hitchcock and the stunning aesthetic that comes with it as I was the first time late last year. And, of course, Grace Kelly was the best - the only flaw of the film will always be the idiocy of our protagonist for not appreciating what he has.

Night of the Living Dead: I can appreciate Romero's influence with this (I mean, we have it to thank for Assault on Precinct 13) but I just can't get away with these films that have zombies as mobile as they are in them. It also doesn't help that it really did nothing for female characters and set them back for a good ten years or so. 

Ha ha - Suspiria is incredible visually but absolutely bonkers. “Opera” is a level up in terms of madness again from Argento! 

The Goonies - what a movie. Lost count of how many times I’ve watched that film.

Rear Window - agreed, one of the best of all time.

Incidentally, I watched the Psycho remake last week and then Psycho 2 right after it. The remake is just weird. The sequel to the original Psycho is actually really good fun if you’ve not seen it (or not seen it for a while).

Apocolypse Now scheduled in for later although the Mrs requires convincing on that front. 

53 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Ha ha - Suspiria is incredible visually but absolutely bonkers. “Opera” is a level up in terms of madness again from Argento! 

The Goonies - what a movie. Lost count of how many times I’ve watched that film.

Rear Window - agreed, one of the best of all time.

Incidentally, I watched the Psycho remake last week and then Psycho 2 right after it. The remake is just weird. The sequel to the original Psycho is actually really good fun if you’ve not seen it (or not seen it for a while).

Apocolypse Now scheduled in for later although the Mrs requires convincing on that front. 

I really hope Argento has gotten the help he evidently needed. A lunatic! I appreciate him introducing me to Jessica Harper though hahaha. 

This was my first ever full viewing of The Goonies. I'd seen it from about 30 minutes in two or three Christmases ago and while I enjoyed it, didn't see the point in watching it in full. My massive mistake there to be perfectly honest, it's a gem. 

Window is always the first film that comes to my mind when I wonder what the greatest ever made is. Might have to watch Vertigo two more times given how that one usually gets all of the acclaim. 

I still can't believe they were allowed to remake Psycho, especially with Vince Vaughan. Bound to be one of those weird film facts as time goes on and on. And I've read that the sequels aren't largely awful. Never really intended on watching them but it's good to know the 2nd one wouldn't be a complete waste of time. (That kinda reminds me, speaking of questionable sequels, I need to watch Halloween III)

Watched Apocalypse Now during Lockdown. It was the second time I'd watched it but the first proper time. It helps that I watched it in full at night this time around and not in bits and pieces when the sun was shining haha! An excellent film. With everything that's said about Brando and his unprofessionalism, you find yourself even more stunned at just how great he is. 

I've watched a few Brando films this year for the first time like Streetcar, Waterfront and The Wild One and even though I thought that last film was naff, it can't be denied that he's one of the very best to ever do it.

16 minutes ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I really hope Argento has gotten the help he evidently needed. A lunatic! I appreciate him introducing me to Jessica Harper though hahaha. 

This was my first ever full viewing of The Goonies. I'd seen it from about 30 minutes in two or three Christmases ago and while I enjoyed it, didn't see the point in watching it in full. My massive mistake there to be perfectly honest, it's a gem. 

Window is always the first film that comes to my mind when I wonder what the greatest ever made is. Might have to watch Vertigo two more times given how that one usually gets all of the acclaim. 

I still can't believe they were allowed to remake Psycho, especially with Vince Vaughan. Bound to be one of those weird film facts as time goes on and on. And I've read that the sequels aren't largely awful. Never really intended on watching them but it's good to know the 2nd one wouldn't be a complete waste of time. (That kinda reminds me, speaking of questionable sequels, I need to watch Halloween III)

Watched Apocalypse Now during Lockdown. It was the second time I'd watched it but the first proper time. It helps that I watched it in full at night this time around and not in bits and pieces when the sun was shining haha! An excellent film. With everything that's said about Brando and his unprofessionalism, you find yourself even more stunned at just how great he is. 

I've watched a few Brando films this year for the first time like Streetcar, Waterfront and The Wild One and even though I thought that last film was naff, it can't be denied that he's one of the very best to ever do it.

Halloween 3. A real divider of opinion if ever there was one. No Myers. No trace of storyline from the first two movies. Really odd addition to the series.

Let me know what you think when you do watch it. 

PS - if you think Argento is mad, try some stuff by Fulci. The Beyond is as good a place as any to start. It’s on Amazon Prime. Some gruesome effects in it.