Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

19 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Halloween 3. A real divider of opinion if ever there was one. No Myers. No trace of storyline from the first two movies. Really odd addition to the series.

Let me know what you think when you do watch it. 

PS - if you think Argento is mad, try some stuff by Fulci. The Beyond is as good a place as any to start. It’s on Amazon Prime. Some gruesome effects in it.

I think I've read something along the lines of Carpenter wanting it to become an anthology franchise with that film? But it wasn't a hit and they ultimately went back to Michael. I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed the second film, so I do have high hopes for this one. 

Just checked out the synopsis of The Beyond and goddammit I'm a sucker for films set in hotels :lol: I'll definitely have to watch this now, cheers for the recommendation 

• Haha 1
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm surprised there's not a topic like this. Anyway... Moonrise Kingdom.

Finally saw Three Billboards this weekend. Excellent flick!   I have never seen Frances McDormand be any less than outstanding, in any role she assumes.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Paolo's Circus Story said:

I think I've read something along the lines of Carpenter wanting it to become an anthology franchise with that film? But it wasn't a hit and they ultimately went back to Michael. I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed the second film, so I do have high hopes for this one. 

Just checked out the synopsis of The Beyond and goddammit I'm a sucker for films set in hotels :lol: I'll definitely have to watch this now, cheers for the recommendation 

Re The Beyond - if you thought Suspiria was odd this is different level!

You have been warned!! 

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Halloween 3. A real divider of opinion if ever there was one. No Myers. No trace of storyline from the first two movies. Really odd addition to the series.

Let me know what you think when you do watch it. 

Watched it last night and thought it was an easy, enjoyable watch! Not amazing, but it was much better than the abomination of a film released in 2018 and I'm happy enough with that.

I liked the concept they were going for with this one, using Halloween as a weapon to sell some evil shit. Those 'men' in suits with super strength were class, full on ruthless :lol:. I loved the 'references' to the actual '78 film too, with the trailer playing on the tele in the bar and Cochran playing it for Challis (I popped big for the track linked below playing during that scene). 

It was cool to see Nancy Loomis too, even though she wasn't in it much. If anything it was just a quick cameo like Jamie Lee Curtis being the voice of the phone service operator. 

I think I'll give Halloween 4 a chance tonight or tomorrow. I expect it to be truly awful hahaha. 

MV5BMDVjNjIwOGItNDE3Ny00OThjLWE0NzQtZTU3

Absolutely magnificent movie that means so much to me.

I don't give a damn about it not being historically accurate or any of that SHIT.

I know what this feels like.

To a degree.

And I know what this means to my heart and my soul.

One of the best movies ever about human dignity.

10/10

Watched it on an old Blu-ray version. I have the poster too (a copy). A TOTAL personal favorite.

• Like 1

MV5BODYxZGY3NjgtNTYwNi00Mzg3LWFhNWQtYjBk

They Live By Night (1948). One of my top ten favorite film noirs (of those I've seen).

a%20Nicholas%20Ray%20They%20Live%20by%20

Cathy O'Donnell really elevates this movie into something that sets it apart from most film noirs. There's a real tenderness in this great movie.

Scent of a woman...

Never seen it before. Brilliant film.

What a performance from Al Pacino and well worthy of the Best Actor Oscar he won for it.

• Like 1

I watched The Accountant last night - some bits seemed familiar but I don't think I've seen it, or all of it, before.

By heck, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.2a9838f5a74e0eae267e10041daccbe7.png

I read the book so thought I'd watch the film on Netflix (not all in one sitting as it's quite long).  The timeframe is wrong - why does it not start in the 50s, like it's meant to? The scariest part is at the beginning.  After that, it becomes - in my opinion - a bit of a dark comedy and reminded me a little of ET with the music and the kids riding around on bikes.  The sound is very poor (yet again!) unless I'm going deaf?  And at the very end you are told 'Part Two coming soon', so this film is not the complete story.  I'm debating whether to hunt down the second one where they become adults ...

23 hours ago, Jimmy James said:

Black Panther - just OK

Get on Up - haven't seen

21 Bridges - Excellent 

I liked them all, but you're right that 21 Bridges was excellent.

Watched this one last night.  Pretty good too.

MV5BZTJlNGVhZjUtYjJhZC00ZTRiLWI0YTgtNzdl

• Like 1
On 9/4/2020 at 10:16 AM, BrilliantDisguise said:

I liked them all, but you're right that 21 Bridges was excellent.

Watched this one last night.  Pretty good too.

MV5BZTJlNGVhZjUtYjJhZC00ZTRiLWI0YTgtNzdl

Watched this last night, great movie. 

• Like 1