Greasy Lake Community

What's the last film you sat & watched?

One of the greatest movies about greed I've ever seen, and my favorite Bette Davis movie. (And I loved Theresa Wright in this one; coincidentally she would go on to play Birdie in the movie The Rainmaker, where here she has a wonderful aunt named Birdie. Bette Davis here plays the biggest, worst BITCH I've ever seen her play. (Note: I have not seen some much later ones)

Absolutely INCREDIBLE movie.

The Little Foxes, from 1941.

The_Little_Foxes_(1941_poster).jpg

• Like 1

I saw this before Night On Earth:

419YEJZFC6L.jpg

Cocoon on DVD.

I didn't know what to make of it, I was very tired. (I had seen it many many years before)

I liked things about it. I like the premise, the basic idea.

(I don't like Steve Guttenberg, but that's a given.....)

will have to try this again some day

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

image.thumb.png.e352f902acdd63a8b4489e2573478531.png

There were Bruce references in this movie.  Here's one.

Jack Robertson: Don’t nobody want to go to no Yankee Doodle Springsteen concert and hear him play that Wrecking Ball folksy bulls**t.
Maggie: Actually, that was an incredibly poignant album, and it did extremely well.
Jack Robertson: People want Thunder Road, okay? And that’s what we going to give them. We’re going to give them Thunder Road. That’s how I pay my mortgage. But you wouldn’t know that, because your little a** ain’t got no mortgage. Crazy little girl going to tell me how to do my goddamn job. Always coming at me with some Springsteen s**t.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Top end wedding

On netflex

I like the quirky antipodean stuff

A couple head up to Darwin to get married with her family to discover that mum has taken off on Dad 

The wedding is such a releaf from all those huge American weddings we see on tv

MV5BMjU0NDk0N2EtNTliZS00MjNmLTk0M2MtYTMzOTUxMGQwZWI3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzE0MTQ2NzQ@._V1_.jpg

I watched half of that late last night.  I found it a bit slow, and then Lily James turned up.  She seems to be in everything, must have a brilliant agent :rolleyes:   I got the impression it's going to be all about her now, and she's going to get off with the cousin, isn't she?  Not sure I'll bother watching the rest.

@Rizla the story is well-worth the watch ... and for the scenery.

The love bit is, like Titanic, just there to eke out the main story. Nothing exceptional happens - apart from the real-life find of course - I just enjoyed watching Fiennes.

Just easy-going, light entertainment and visual delight.

I agree about Lily james ... like Dancing In The Dark - good but too much becomes tedious. ;):D

3 hours ago, Eileen said:

@Rizla the story is well-worth the watch ... and for the scenery.

The love bit is, like Titanic, just there to eke out the main story. Nothing exceptional happens - apart from the real-life find of course - I just enjoyed watching Fiennes.

Just easy-going, light entertainment and visual delight.

I agree about Lily james ... like Dancing In The Dark - good but too much becomes tedious. ;):D

I might just watch Detectorists again instead.  More humour, even more gloriously photographed scenery, and you still get Johnny Flynn, if only doing the theme music :D

Actually that's something I was finding irksome about The Dig - the music was very intrusive.  I mostly barely notice incidental music except when it's meant to be centre stage.

• Like 1

I'll look for Detectorists another time. I can't even remember hearing the music so it mustn't have bothered me. 

I used to wonder how folk could bingewatch ... now I get it.

3 hours ago, Eileen said:

I'll look for Detectorists another time. I can't even remember hearing the music so it mustn't have bothered me. 

I used to wonder how folk could bingewatch ... now I get it.

Haven't you seen Detectorists?  It's a gem.  Very gentle and develops slowly, so you get little running gags which mean nothing to the casual dip-in watcher, but are ROFL funny when you've seen the build up.

• Like 1

I might give it a go sooner than I thought. I've just finished the series I was watching. It was more like a farce! Sorry, @stevie54uk, but the last couple of episodes were silly - I half expected Brian Rix to pop up somewhere.

• Like 1